CFL lighting system...

Discussion in 'DIY' started by LionLoves420, Mar 19, 2007.

1. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

Ok, I have the frame built, its 2 ft x 1.5 ft (little smaller than my entire grow area), painted white...well, when I thought about how to wire it, I came up with a couple ideas....

1. the original idea was to put 4-6 bulbs on the paremeter of the frame facing down, leaving the middle open for an HPS here in a couple weeks....

2. Face them at an angle in the middle and just replace it with the HPS and use this fixture for veg

I am not sure if there is a big differnce in having the bulbs centered apposed to spread out....any suggestions? Both are easy to do, just the angles will be a little harder to attatch the socket

2. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

I vote for number 2. :)

3. PurePlaya420

PurePlaya420 Full Flowering

Im with alienbait on this one I vote number 2 but both are good Ideas.

4. El Campesino

El Campesino The Farmer

I also believe the second option will be better.

I've seen guys make hoods with CFL's using the double light sockets and have gotten respectable results

5. noone

noone Full Flowering

I like 2 as well

noone

6. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

Thanks all...Think I am going with two....the reflector is my main issue...but I've got a hardware store hook up through one of the partners and hope to get some thin metal I can shape out...

7. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

CFLs work best if they are mounted horizontally so that the light from the SIDES of the bulb are facing the plants.

You should only mount them vertically if they are on the sides of the plants (not above them).

The ideal setup is an HPS above the plants and CFLs on the sides so you get maximum light coverage.

8. PurePlaya420

PurePlaya420 Full Flowering

AB just to give ya another idea im making a CFL fixture to ill be using a thin peice of sheet metal and bending it to make a batwing reflector then ill cut 4 holes that I can squeeze the lighting socket into then to little holes on each end for mounting then in each socket ill put one of the two-way things and put CFL's in each one ill also be hanging them on the sides of the plants from the cords. Im planning on having 8-10 bulbs in the reflector and then 4 more hanging so light gets to the sides of the plants. I know its not as good as an HPS but for where im growing right now a HID light just wont work. Im planning on making a grow cab like the one Stinkybuds made in the poll thing but thats going to have to wait awhile. Well goodluck bro!

9. videoman

videoman Veggy Stage

HappyHappyHighGuy has it right, you want the light from the sides, not from the tip. Also, you can make a nice reflector from a soda can, if you cut it something like this:

[​IMG]

I hope this helps you.

Peace

10. 420PotSmoker

420PotSmoker Developed Alternating Nodes

CFL's

I used to use before i bought my new 400 watt HPS 2 CFL's like u got that were 40 watt replacements for 100 watt and two four foot long floro's in a lamp to grow plants then take them to my friend who takes care of them outside his house. If you have enough of them i think u could grow sum nice ass plants. Good Luck Bro

420PotSmoker :sign13: