HELP! Sprout problems!

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by ztard, Sep 18, 2007.

1. ztard

ztard Germinated

ok i have 2 sprouts growing in rockwool in 2 bucket systems. I have no idea what im doing wrong! the first one sprouted fine in the paper towel and i planted it and it grew a little but just after the seed shell broke off, it was dead the next morning all brown and dried up. and i watered it 3 times a day! also, the worst part... the other one i planted was growing nice and had 2 nice little leaves on it. its probably about a week old from germination. this morning i got up and watered it, went back to bed, and in 3 hours i checked on it again and it had fallen over and the leaves were almost touching the rockwool!! the stem had just bent over! what could this be?? PLEASE HELP!!

2. Seeking Utopia

Seeking Utopia Cleaning Scissors

seedlings...

Thanks for the background info on your seedlings...but we may need a little more. What are you running for lights...and what are the temps? I hope you are watering with straight, clean water...most sprouts cannot take suplemental nutes at all. With a little more info I'm sure the guru's and geniuses here on GrowKind can help ya out!

3. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

Seedlings are very sensitive in their first few days

Possibly causes:

Too much heat

Not enough moisture

Too much moisture

Water (you should use purified, RO, or spring water without nutes)

Not enough light

Genetics

4. Seeking Utopia

Seeking Utopia Cleaning Scissors

Seeds

Just another thought here....

Any idea how old your seeds are? Do you believe they were fully matured, viable seeds to begin with? I may not be anything that you are doing wrong at all, it just may be non-viable seeds.

Anywho...

Cheers!

Seeking Utopia

5. ztard

ztard Germinated

im using a 400 watt metal hallide, watering them with ph balanced tap water at 5.6/ the temp is usually between 80-95, but that hasnt seemed to hurt them yet. the seeds arent too old, i just ordered them. my plant thats seems to be dying is about a week old, almost an inch high, and seemed to be growing strong until just this morning when all of a sudden it just bent over. the roots have just poked out the bottom of the net pot. is there any way i can save my baby???? i just got home and it seems to have gotten worse. PLEASE HELP I DONT KNOW WHAT IM DOING WRONG.

6. ztard

ztard Germinated

also, the rock wool seems to not be absorbing water anymore, after the plant has started dying. it cant be over saturated cuz its dry, and it cant be the reason my plant is dying because it stopped absorbing water after it started dying. also, there is this white powdery stuff that seems to show up on the rock wool when it is dry

7. allsmilez

allsmilez snow bunny

Sprout problems

Sounds to me like it dampened off. What do the roots look like? If they're brown and mushy and the stem is kinda mushy where it bent over, that would be what I would suspect. The white growth could be a fungus, or it could be contaminants from your tap water(i.e. salt,chlorine,etc.)I don't know anything about rockwool, so I don't think I could help you save it. I grow in soilless mix, and I try to pile mix up and around it to hold it up long enough to recover or until I repot it. It only saves them 1/2 the time. I'm sorry. I probably didn't help you much, but good luck!

8. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

1) Use a fluorescent light for the seedlings.

2) Water only once every few days to keep the rockwool moist.

9. ztard

ztard Germinated

ive been watering it often because with the fans and the light the rock wool seems to be drying out fast.

10. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

Sounds like you have too much heat. That will kill them fast.

Switch to fluorescents and keep the grow room under 80 degrees.

Also switch to good water. Tap water is often filled with contaminates.

It's probably too late to save your seedling, but I think most of us have killed them at some point. That's how we learn. I'm on my 4th grow and I still make mistakes, but each grow does better than the last. Keep on growin'! :punk:

11. ztard

ztard Germinated

thanks. i talked to some people today at a hydro shop and i think ive discovered that the problem is probably humidity. i have a 400 watt metal halide and 4 fans running in a small area and although its not gettng too hot i thin its really drying out the plants. idk i'll keep everyone updated

12. Jake

Jake A Fat Sticky Bud

I say overwatering. Watever the "white stuff" is on your Rockwool is why I think that. You're not going to get any "white stuff" to grow on a dry piece of Rockwool. I say it's mold/fungus from being too wet.

Watering 3 times a day? No reason for that.