GrowKind.com Marijuana Cultivation Forum  

Go Back   GrowKind.com Marijuana Cultivation Forum > Cultivation > Beginner Lounge
Support GrowKind Donate BTC: 1B6z6UHuuadQ9Cseu3H5VyQpKEKchC19fF

Old 04-02-2009, 07:20 AM
sHAPesHIFTinG rEPTiLiAN

bLITzkRIEg420 is a pot desciplebLITzkRIEg420 is a pot desciplebLITzkRIEg420 is a pot desciplebLITzkRIEg420 is a pot desciplebLITzkRIEg420 is a pot desciplebLITzkRIEg420 is a pot desciplebLITzkRIEg420 is a pot desciplebLITzkRIEg420 is a pot desciplebLITzkRIEg420 is a pot desciplebLITzkRIEg420 is a pot desciple
Default Dark period before harvest?

Is it a good idea to leave the plants in the dark for a few days before harvest? How many days are we talking like 3?

WANT THE BIGGEST HIT POSSIBLE?? Vaporize! Because of the cool mist nature of vapor that the Vaporbrothers produces you will be able to take bigger hits and hold them longer than with any bong, iced or otherwise. Take the challenge, but do it sitting down! Support GrowKind by buying from Vaporwarehouse.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:34 AM
Serious Guerilla Farmer

Guerilla Family is a pot descipleGuerilla Family is a pot descipleGuerilla Family is a pot descipleGuerilla Family is a pot descipleGuerilla Family is a pot descipleGuerilla Family is a pot descipleGuerilla Family is a pot descipleGuerilla Family is a pot desciple

From what I have read, that is a bit of a myth. However I was told to always harvest plants after the sun sets, or while they are in their dark period.. Something about starches.. not exactly sure, but I have always done this.

GFam

'A Guerilla Army attacks where they aren't expected, secures victory, and then, vanishes without a trace'
Old 04-02-2009, 07:44 AM
papa oom mow mow
| My GK Garden |

AverageJoe is a Pot Growing GK ImmortalAverageJoe is a Pot Growing GK ImmortalAverageJoe is a Pot Growing GK ImmortalAverageJoe is a Pot Growing GK ImmortalAverageJoe is a Pot Growing GK ImmortalAverageJoe is a Pot Growing GK ImmortalAverageJoe is a Pot Growing GK ImmortalAverageJoe is a Pot Growing GK ImmortalAverageJoe is a Pot Growing GK ImmortalAverageJoe is a Pot Growing GK ImmortalAverageJoe is a Pot Growing GK Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla Family
From what I have read, that is a bit of a myth. However I was told to always harvest plants after the sun sets, or while they are in their dark period.. Something about starches.. not exactly sure, but I have always done this.

GFam

So what would be the difference in the buds between lights on or lights off harvests?

I usually run my lights at night, and end up harvesting in the morning after little ones head off to school. So I'm typically harvesting near the end of the light on cycle, or opposite of what your saying GFam.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Baked as fuck
| My GK Garden |

SecretGrower420 is a pot descipleSecretGrower420 is a pot descipleSecretGrower420 is a pot descipleSecretGrower420 is a pot descipleSecretGrower420 is a pot descipleSecretGrower420 is a pot descipleSecretGrower420 is a pot descipleSecretGrower420 is a pot descipleSecretGrower420 is a pot descipleSecretGrower420 is a pot desciple

I would like to hear what Useless or Skunky have to say about this. I too was planning on blacking out my plants for 2-3 days, just to see what happens..... not that I'd be able to tell though unless I just black out a few of them.
Grown: Critical Mass, Strawberry Cough, Violator Kush, Kushberry, Somango, Molokai Frost, Kandy Kush, Bubblelicious, Hericules, Jackberry, K.O kush, Uber kush, Heribei, Herijuana, The OG #18, Bubba 76

Growing: Smackberry, Chemdawg x Cocoa Kush, Redneck Kush

Peace.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Serious Guerilla Farmer

Guerilla Family is a pot descipleGuerilla Family is a pot descipleGuerilla Family is a pot descipleGuerilla Family is a pot descipleGuerilla Family is a pot descipleGuerilla Family is a pot descipleGuerilla Family is a pot descipleGuerilla Family is a pot desciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe
So what would be the difference in the buds between lights on or lights off harvests?

I usually run my lights at night, and end up harvesting in the morning after little ones head off to school. So I'm typically harvesting near the end of the light on cycle, or opposite of what your saying GFam.
What im saying is that I was always told not to harvest in the middle of the light cycle. Like, If they were outdoors, dont harvest during the hottest part of the day, say A bit after noon. I was always told to harvest in the evening, or early morning.. Thats all I am saying. I think that coincides with what you said AJ..IF im wrong, I may be misunderstanding you.

GFam

'A Guerilla Army attacks where they aren't expected, secures victory, and then, vanishes without a trace'
Old 04-02-2009, 08:28 AM
sHAPesHIFTinG rEPTiLiAN

bLITzkRIEg420 is a pot desciplebLITzkRIEg420 is a pot desciplebLITzkRIEg420 is a pot desciplebLITzkRIEg420 is a pot desciplebLITzkRIEg420 is a pot desciplebLITzkRIEg420 is a pot desciplebLITzkRIEg420 is a pot desciplebLITzkRIEg420 is a pot desciplebLITzkRIEg420 is a pot desciplebLITzkRIEg420 is a pot desciple

cjb03 posted a thread about "flushing" on 3-17 and in that thread this is what shaitand had to say...
"Some people say its not needed but I also use a couple days dark period before harvest. If you leeched then all the nutrients should have been converted to sugars in the plant and no more photosynthesis should be needed. Light at that point is just destroying photo sensitive flowering hormone and THC (which is just as light and temp sensitive on the plant as after harvest).

My understanding is that photosynthesis is needed to convert light to sugars but that the plant will continue using the sugars it already has without the need for light so long as it has water. If that is the case, leaving the plant intact in the dark will allow it fully use all its sugars and since flowering hormones are light sensitive their high levels should mean those sugars will be used for flowering and not veg. Should give sticker/heavier buds (somewhat, its only a couple days) and smoother smoke."
Old 04-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Serious Guerilla Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bLITzkRIEg420
cjb03 posted a thread about "flushing" and in that thread this is what shaitand had to say...
"Some people say its not needed but I also use a couple days dark period before harvest. If you leeched then all the nutrients should have been converted to sugars in the plant and no more photosynthesis should be needed. Light at that point is just destroying photo sensitive flowering hormone and THC (which is just as light and temp sensitive on the plant as after harvest).

My understanding is that photosynthesis is needed to convert light to sugars but that the plant will continue using the sugars it already has without the need for light so long as it has water. If that is the case, leaving the plant intact in the dark will allow it fully use all its sugars and since flowering hormones are light sensitive their high levels should mean those sugars will be used for flowering and not veg. Should give sticker/heavier buds (somewhat, its only a couple days) and smoother smoke."
Im not saying that leaving the plant in a dark period for a couple of days before harvest isnt beneficial, I only stated what I have heard. I am not certain it is right or wrong, just posting something I had heard. Hopefully, one of the professors will stop by to comment on this one..

Skunky? Useless? Anyone?

GFam

Old 04-02-2009, 08:40 AM
sHAPesHIFTinG rEPTiLiAN

GFam I'm with you as I think this might be a bit of myth... Harvesting at the END of the dark period does give you 12 hours of dark before harvest. I also thought they will continue to use these sugars without photosynthesis after being harvested so is this the same as a dark period while they are still in pots? Now I feel confused, frightened and far from home... Or that could be the
Old 04-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Diogenes Reincarnate
| My GK Garden |

Useless is a Pot Growing GK ImmortalUseless is a Pot Growing GK ImmortalUseless is a Pot Growing GK ImmortalUseless is a Pot Growing GK ImmortalUseless is a Pot Growing GK ImmortalUseless is a Pot Growing GK ImmortalUseless is a Pot Growing GK ImmortalUseless is a Pot Growing GK ImmortalUseless is a Pot Growing GK ImmortalUseless is a Pot Growing GK ImmortalUseless is a Pot Growing GK Immortal

Myth.

The only thing I have ever heard and makes sense was mentioned by Shiatand.

Light degrades THC. Therefore harvesting during the dark cycle should in theory provide a slightly higher level of THC. However, from experience, there is no noticable difference in potency when the final product is smoked.

Use of the stored sugars relates more to terpene and terpenoid profiles, and smoothness of the smoke.
"I desire knowledge by nature," the words of Aristotle, my nature is not to hate you. So I try to put myself in the depths of the other man, peace to my brother man, in search of my place in this world to discover man, damn check out the colors man.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:58 AM
sHAPesHIFTinG rEPTiLiAN

Thanks everyone!