how to make a water chiller?

Discussion in 'DIY' started by billyapple, Sep 13, 2009.

1. billyapple

billyapple Established Healthy Roots

anyone know ow to make a chiller to keep a res cool. i have unlimited supply of cold running water, thinking just coiled pipe in res......what pipes best? or is there a better way?
    thanks guys!

2. daytrypper

daytrypper A Fat Sticky Bud

Im working on that project right now. I want to get it assembled and tested but I will post the instructable on the board when I have it complete.

3. MK-Ultra

MK-Ultra Excommunicated

Budget DIY Res Chiller

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=42428

or this one which is posted below. http://www.rollitup.org/hydroponics-aeroponics/233783-diy-mini-chiller.html

OK Here are the results of my DIY water chiller.

I have been growing in a cabinet for about a year and a half. Pretty good results in hydroton

Well now I want to try aeroponics. I got a larger cabinet and built a system out of a under bed storage container.

Thing is, I needed a chiller. I use a small res. Its actually the controller from a water farm eight pack I had drilled some holes in.

I circulate the water with a 180 gph pump.

Now I have posted this in my cabinet grow journal but I figured it was buried there and started a new post so people can find it.

First I tried the portable cooler. Low wattage thermal electric cooler.

[​IMG]

I ran seven loops of tube inside and back to the res. filled it with water and gave it a shot.

[​IMG]

I realize this is with no insulation and I probably could get better hose but I wanted to see what it would do.

It got maybe 2 degrees cooler. I knew that wasn't enough to continue with this.

I read a DIY using a small refer with tubing in it. Then one where a guy put the cooling tray right in the res.

I wanted to try that so I went on craigslist and bought one for $50

After I got the new small refer home I realized it was different then the DIY I had read.

The evaporator or grid was not on the back. I figured it was just inside the back panel.

I disconnected the thermostat

[​IMG]

Then used my disk grinder to cut because I didn't have a cutting blade.

[​IMG]

Then basically peeled back the case to find the coils were ran around the fridge.

[​IMG]

I looked at it and thought "how the hell am I going to get this to work" I went this far, Might as well finish.

[​IMG]

After cutting a hole for the cooling unit I slid everything out the front and left the system intact.

[​IMG]

The lost my shade so I took a break until sundown. It was 97 degrees.

Then I took the res and set it inside the system and carefully bent the cooling tray inside.

It was still about 93 degrees outside but no direct sun.

[​IMG]

Here is the back

[​IMG]

I let it run with the thermostat set in the middle for about an hour.

It cooled about 4 degrees. The thermostat was under water and I didn't know if that made any difference but

I drained about a gallon of water so it set in the air. Then I realized I didn't have anything to compare it to so I

got a home depot bucket and filled it with water too. I set a thermometer it that as well.

I turned the thermostat all the way up, kept the circulating pump on and left them until noon today.

Todays outside temps are 101 degrees.

Here is the uncovered bucket of water temp 84 degrees

[​IMG]

I really didn't think this was going to work, well I looked inside,

[​IMG]

Then checked the temp. 58 degrees.

[​IMG]

ResinRubber likes this.
  4. nobogart

nobogart Cured Fat Sticky Bud

that is one nice mcgyver job there. ^^^^^^^^^^

5. skunkrnaught

skunkrnaught Flying magic hemp carpet

Nice job, when I was in college we used a mini freezer to cool keg beer we drilled a in hole and out hole and filled it with tubing.

:passit:

6. billyapple

nice one MK..........how many spleeffs would you recommend for doing that retrofit????

i guess the idea is to run some cold water through coiled tubing in a closed system inside my res. what would be the best material to use for the tubing in the res? copper would be ok with the nutes? or something else more suitable?

7. MK-Ultra

MK-Ultra Excommunicated

Im not sure how copper would affect a nutrient solution. It does have anti-microbial properties so it might help. Copper is efficient when it comes to thermal exchange rates. How many degrees do you need to drop your nutrient solution? I try to keep mine at 68 at all times for maximum dissolved oxygen levels and pathogen resistance.

8. billyapple

mk, yeah

yeah mk, right now i am maintaining anywhere from 67 to 71 by using ice. i am lazy so i need to automate either with copper pipes and my unlimited great white north cold water or macguyver a refer like you. looks like i need to lower by 5 degrees. am off to the scrap/recycle yard here shortly to check out feasable refers (not doobies). it will have to be in the growroom so not sure about how much heat it will add, but am liking the idea of that. yours looks great. are you able to adjust the temp with the thermostat????

9. MK-Ultra

MK-Ultra Excommunicated

Yep u can control the temp with the thermostat.

10. vegged

vegged Germinating

I've read that it's bad to put a heat source inside a refrigerator. They were talking about putting a computer inside a minifridge to cool it so they could overclock.

Fridges are designed to keep cold things cold, not make hot things cooler. The significance is that their compressors aren't designed to operate continuously, so if you're making enough heat that it has to kick on the compressor a lot, you're going to burn it out fast.

What you've got is a very cool design, don't get me wrong. I'm just curious how long it will last.

11. indicafarms

indicafarms Germinating

using the cooling unit from a Clear Water Systems water cooler also works well but not 58 degrees

cold but 70's

12. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

This is a great idea that will wwork, but it won't work forever. The refrigeration system in a refrigerator is designed to operate at a set range of temps. Being that ur nutes are above that temp the refrigerant will be highly boiled off reducing oil return to the compressor. As well as being overly superheated, reducing compressor cooling and increasing discharge temp. At discharge temps above 350f oil starts breaking down :eek:

The capacity of the system is also reduced in this situation. This ios precisely why I abandoned the fridges internal cooling as a means to cool 'growlab 2'.

Mcguyvering is fun :pimp: