First time at making cannabutter

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by gizmo_barks, Oct 7, 2013.

1. gizmo_barks

gizmo_barks Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Last night I decided to make some cannabutter. I took 3/4 oz. of popcorn bud and 3/4 oz. of sugar leaf, and mixed that with 4 sticks of butter. I slow cook that for 6 hours. As I was cooking the butter, I read online that the product needs to be activated with heat. (The weed needs to be put in a 300 degree oven for 15-20 min. before cooking.) Does the weed really need to be activated. Any butter cookers out there?

As I was saying, this is my first time and I'm a little nervous, so how much do you think I should use? I tried 1/8 t spoon with not much results if any. I'm thinking 1/2 t spoon. Does anyone think that is too much. I know it wont kill me, but I really don't want to go through the "Dam that was waaaaay too much". Any ideas how many doses this will make?

peace

G_B

2. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

Are you eating the butter? Try it in a cookie or brownie rercipe, the nestle toll house chocolate chip recipe is a good one to use. Your ratio of butter to herb sounds about right.

3. gizmo_barks

Yes, I like to watch what I put in my body. I don't eat a lot of snacks. And being a mmj patient, I take the meds every day. So I like to keep it low fat and sugar. Butter isn't the oil I choose, but the fats are needed. I'm sure in time I'll expand.

Thanks

G_B

4. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

Gizmo, I've made several batches of canna butter that have been pretty strong and no once did I put the bud in the oven for 15-20 mins. For me the key is to simmer on as low of a heat setting is as possible. Low and slow, that's the way we go...

gizmo_barks likes this.
  5. gizmo_barks

Thanks, ducrider.

peace

G_B

6. Midnight Garden

If you are watching what you ingest then I would recommend a glycerine tincture. I'm making this right now.

Alcohol free cannabis tincture

[​IMG]

7. gizmo_barks

I've heard of that. Never tried it.

I guess I'm a little out of date, but I thought weed needed to be heated to become active. What makes it active, something in the glycerin?

Thanks for the info. I'll try it.

peace

G_B

8. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

The few times I've made butter, I have done it low and slow like DR said. Problem is always the butter is green and whatever I bake with it comes out tasting like shit.

9. gizmo_barks

What is your process? Do you cook it in water?

peace

G_B

10. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

Add water to BUTTER (has to be real unsalted butter) and simmer for 30-60 minutes. The reason you do this is to add volume to cook with. Say you want to make a cup of butter, well try adding 1 oz to a cup of butter....aint going to fit. But when you add water the volume is in the pot so you can add the Oz. No need to worry about this diluting your butter....THC is only fat soluble, not water soluble (think about ice water hash...it's why your hash isn't stuck in the water).

The part where you're talking about heat activated is to switch the THCA into THC. When you smoke the flame naturally does this, but cooking it's best to do it in oven if using fresh weed. Decarb occurs naturally so if you are using cured weed there is no need for this step as nature has already done the conversion and there's no need for heat to speed up the process.

Hope that makes sense

11. Midnight Garden

It does need to be heated. You put the weed on a baking sheet and put it in a 150 degree oven for about 30 minutes. I did not know that when I made that jar in the pic and I just stuffed it with buds and poured the glycerin in.

12. nippie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decarboxylation

Upon heating, Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinolic acid decarboxylates to give the psychoactive compound Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol.[6] In beverages stored for long periods, very small amounts of benzene may form from benzoic acid by decarboxylation catalyzed by the presence of vitamin C.[7] The addition of catalytic amounts of cyclohexenone has been reported to catalyze the decarboxylation of amino acids.[8] However, using such catalysts may also yield an amount of unwanted by-products.

also see http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2794.html

13. gizmo_barks

Thanks Nip,

After all the reading I've done, that makes a lot of sense. I guess the THCA switches to THC over time. This process can be speeded up by heat. The more heat that is added will decrease the time it takes the for the process. There is a point of diminished returns though. I don't know exact temp for that, but I think 160 degreese for 10-16 hours should work.

Anyway, I decided to try this methed after trying some of my niece's butter.

Thanks for the help,

G_B

14. nippie

IF you are just trying to decarb. Throw it in the oven at the lowest!! setting on your oven for 15-30 minutes, that should do the trick. You're not trying to bake the weed, just speed up a chemical reaction that occurs over time.

More heat is not better, nor longer you put it in does not help.

Simmering the butter I spend 30-60 max on it, I guess you can do all day, but honestly I don't think it does anything else. I see some people talk about slow cookers for 12-18 hours...fuck that in my opinion. Hour max and you should be good

15. gizmo_barks

Why unsalted?

peace

G_B

16. nippie

LOL, good question, it's a baking thing. Have you ever heard of a recipe calling for Salted Butter? Sometimes cookies, cakes, etc call for a pinch of salt, but this is because it's assumed that you are using unsalted butter during the cooking process.

The salted butter will make a difference in the taste and final product. Plus salted butter is usually not as fresh as unsalted butter because salt is a preservative.

17. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

I have not looked lately. Do we have a tutorial for dummies with pics on GK? I for one have been unsuccessful, but I can't think of a successful canna butter tutorial out there that even I can follow :redbong:

I've also never tasted a canna product that didn't have a "taste" of weed, which I do not prefer. Cookies, brownies, jolly ranchers and tinctures, made by others too so I assumed it wasn't just me who couldn't make the taste go away.

18. nippie

OK....I will get a canna butter tutorial up soon.

For the taste...well you can't get away from it using canna products, but you can reduce it by using hash instead of trim/bud. The taste scale imho would be (starting with the strongest weed flavor) trim, bud, ice water hash, BHO

19. ncmaineac

ncmaineac Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

butter post

nip, did you get a chance to post your recipe yet? if so where..thanks..nc

20. nippie