GrowKind.com Marijuana Cultivation Forum  

Go Back   GrowKind.com Marijuana Cultivation Forum > Public Board > Beginner Lounge
Support GrowKind Donate BTC: 1B6z6UHuuadQ9Cseu3H5VyQpKEKchC19fF

Old 07-12-2003, 03:27 PM
New Sprout

talltreetopsnsky cuts off fan leaves while stoned

hi all,

I'm a newbie here looking for some advice. *I have some good looking 4 ft. babies that are now 7 weeks old, under a 1000 hps (in soil, 5 gal buckets). *Awhile ago Ranger was kind enough to have a little chat with me and tell me about the virtues of FoxFarm ferts, so my babies are sucking that stuff up now every other watering. *They look great in my humble opinion, the FoxFarm is a def. improvement over the MG I was using previously. *(THANKS, Ranger!)

I only have one light and will soon be in the flowering stage. *I see alternating nodes from top to bottom right now so I think we're pretty much ready to go any day now. *What I would like to know is this.. will it be possible to flower the females, harvest the buds and keep the best of the plants alive for future cloning and/or budding? *After harvest can a plant be successfully put back into vegging mode without undue hardship?

Thanks gurus. *I really appreciate this board and have learned tons from reading all (or most) of the posts. *:-)

Sky

WANT THE BIGGEST HIT POSSIBLE?? Vaporize! Because of the cool mist nature of vapor that the Vaporbrothers produces you will be able to take bigger hits and hold them longer than with any bong, iced or otherwise. Take the challenge, but do it sitting down! Support GrowKind by buying from Vaporwarehouse.
Old 07-12-2003, 05:54 PM
***Rest in Peace***

rangerdanger has a few good grows under the beltrangerdanger has a few good grows under the belt

You can harvest, leave some buds & leaves on and re-veg, but almost no one does. Here's why:
Switching back to veg takes 2--4 weeks.
It stresses out the plant to the max.
Some plants don't survive the switch, others go into this kind of 'suspeneded animation' thing.
It's much better to takes clones.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:11 PM
Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Justcheckingitout is a pot descipleJustcheckingitout is a pot descipleJustcheckingitout is a pot descipleJustcheckingitout is a pot descipleJustcheckingitout is a pot descipleJustcheckingitout is a pot descipleJustcheckingitout is a pot descipleJustcheckingitout is a pot descipleJustcheckingitout is a pot desciple

Ranger: Can you take clones from a plant before you harvest?
Old 07-13-2003, 12:51 AM
Chilled out

chopstick makes Ed Rosenthall look like a dummychopstick makes Ed Rosenthall look like a dummychopstick makes Ed Rosenthall look like a dummychopstick makes Ed Rosenthall look like a dummychopstick makes Ed Rosenthall look like a dummy

You can, and there's nothing stopping you, but it's better to take clones during veg rather than the flowering period for better rates of success. Clones taking during the first 2 weeks of flowering will still give you good results, although after that, survival rates drop as the plant starts to put on the bud. This doesn't mean that you can't clone from a flowering plant, only you're making things twice as hard for the clones, as they will have to revert back into veg, aswell as produce roots.

(Edited by chopstick at 10:59 pm on July 13, 2003)
Old 07-13-2003, 10:14 AM
Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Justcheckingitout is a pot descipleJustcheckingitout is a pot descipleJustcheckingitout is a pot descipleJustcheckingitout is a pot descipleJustcheckingitout is a pot descipleJustcheckingitout is a pot descipleJustcheckingitout is a pot descipleJustcheckingitout is a pot descipleJustcheckingitout is a pot desciple

Got it....Thanks, :bigok:

If I get more than 3 females, I'm going to keep one for cloning set aside, and not put it into flower....
Old 07-14-2003, 10:28 AM
New Sprout

Thanks, Guys. I will pick up some rooting hormone today and take some clones from the lower secondary growths today. I guess eventually I'm going to have to get a second light to keep the clones on the right scedule of vegging while the first generation are flowering. I know this is not optimal but I guess I will be putting the clones in the window for natural light for awhile, until I can figure out how/where I can put the second light.

Thanks again! Your input is always greatly appreciated.

S.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:03 AM
A Fat Sticky Bud

RacerX has a few good things to say

Talltree,
Hope your flower booth can handle the 4 footers... they will double (possibly triple) in height when you turn that 1000watter to 12/12. s far as a new light goes...You can always clear a spot off of a shelf (I use a work bench) and setup two shoplite fixtures with flo's that give you a total of 160 watts to cover a 3ft deep X 4ft wide X 4ft tall area for clones veg....Take plenty of clones & in no time you can perpetual harvest multiple plants depending on your flower booth size.I keep 9 or 10 plants in there at all times (5 in 3 gal containers & 5 in 1 gal containers) as you repot the 3's to 5's....take a clone to replace her & put your clone chamber up on boxes to be as close to the light as possible. The possibilities are endless, my friend....Good luck finishing your gro, bro....
Old 07-14-2003, 11:09 AM
***Rest in Peace***

phillyboy  gives out some good pointers on growing

reason most people shy awasy from multiple harvests from one plant is that every time you fert a plant, the soil gets more acidic, so there are constant ph problems, usually with higher salt buildups---but like the X man just said, a couple flo tubes are ideal for clone starting, so they say, i wont know until about a month when i start my first clones--should be an adventure.

(Edited by phillyboy at 2:17 pm on July 14, 2003)
Old 07-14-2003, 11:19 AM
***Rest in Peace***

rangerdanger has a few good grows under the beltrangerdanger has a few good grows under the belt

racer--
A 3' x 4' sq/ft growing area is 12 sq/ft.
A good rule of thumb for veg in a growspace that size is 37,500 lumens .
160 watts of fluoro's put out 11,500 lumens.

I'm not saying that you can't grow pot with that amt. of lumens, but imo you'll do a lot better (faster growth, tighter internodes) with more lumens.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:01 PM
New Sprout

hi Racer,

Thanks for the info, muchly appreciated. I think flos would be a lot more economical than another big light, thanks for the tip. Maybe I can convince my hubby to give my clone garden a little space in his gigantic shop. I was wanting to take some clones so I wouldn't have to start over from seed again.

I have heard here before that I can expect these plants to double in height once on 12/12... oh great. :-| In my first post I should have stated that the plants are approx. 2-1/2 to 3 ft. tall, but with the pots they are in, they are now 'boob height' which is getting terribly close to 4ft. I just picked up a timer today and am going to start the 12/12 tonight. Walmart was out of rooting hormone, and I was told they are not getting more until the next 'season' which would be next spring. Time to make a trip to the nursery. I have an 8 ft. ceiling in the grow room so I'm not sure how this is going to work out now... obviously the light needs to have some space above the plants.

Time will tell what happens with these guys... too bad I can't bonsai them or something LOL. Should have done more trimming on them when they were smaller, live and learn I suppose. I think if I top them now, it would be futile and probably affect the buddage?

Maybe next go-round I will try the method of pinning the plants down.. SCROG or SOG or whatever? (I'm still confused about those and will have to read the FAQ's again to get it straight).

Thanks again for the info Racer. By the way... you can call me SIS, not BRO. ;-)

Have a great day,
Sky