Aero Bucket Cloning Machine

Discussion in 'DIY' started by TheCarpenter, Dec 21, 2010.

1. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

Hey everybody, with all the talk about aero cloners going on lately, I thought I'd throw up an easy DIY 15 site cloner that works great. It's based off a 2.5gal bucket, so it doesn't take up much space, and it's easy to carry and easy to clean.

Parts Required

2.5 gal Black Bucket w/ Lid-----------$5

250 GPH magdrive pump--------------$20

Pump Filter Bag----------------------$8

15 - 2'' Netpots----------------------$4/24pk

15 - 2'' Neoprene Inserts-------------$10/20pk

12'' 3/4'' PVC Tubing-----------------$2

3 - 3/4'' PVC "T" Fittings-------------$1

4 - 3/4'' PVC Endcaps----------------$1

1 - 3/4" Slip to Threaded Coupler-----$1

Assorted Misters---------------------$5/10pk

2'' Silicone Plug----------------------$5

Total-------------------------------$62.00

First, lay out for 15 - 2'' Holes evenly spaced on the bucket lid, and drill out each with a 1-7/8'' holesaw. Then drill another 1-7/8'' hole about 7'' up the side of the bucket.

[​IMG]

Then, cut 2 - 1'' and 5 - 2'' pieces of 3/4'' PVC Tubing. Debur and clean pieces after they are cut. Attach the Coupler to the bottom of the "T" fitting with one of the 2" PVC sections. On both sides of the "T" fitting, attach the 2 - 1'' sections, followed by 2 more "T's". Attach to each side of those "T's", the remaining 2'' sections, and each finished off with an endcap. The PVC should fit tight enough to stay together nicely, but still come apart for easy cleaning. Then, following the picture below, drill 7 holes with a 1/8'' (metric 22), through the top of the PVC/fittings. Do not drill them completely through, just enough to go into the center of the PVC tubing. Then screw a #10 wood screw into the holes and remove to tap them for the misters. Take everything back apart and clean out all debris, then reassemble the manifold, and attach the threaded end of the coupler to the top of the pump. Install misters of you choice.

[​IMG]

I highly recommend a filter bag for the pump to help keep debris out of the misters.

[​IMG]

I throw away the draw-string and use zip-ties to securely attach the filter bag to the pump/manifold.

[​IMG]

Place the pump/manifold in the bucket, running the cord through the 1-7/8'' hole, and then it is sealed with the silicone plug. Fill with 1 gallon of plain water.

Turn on and adjust misters so spray is evenly distributed.

[​IMG]

I like to take big cuttings, so I cut the bottoms out of the net pots so I don't damage the roots pulling the clone back out. Plus it makes it a lot easier to get the neoprene plug out.

[​IMG]

2'' Neoprene Inserts

[​IMG]

Finished Bucket

[​IMG]

Fill with your favorite strain.

[​IMG]

Then 5 - 10 days later...

[​IMG]

Sure beats the hell out of spending a lot of $$$ on EZ cloners etc.

Enjoy!

-tC

2. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

great idea tc nice work. You dont need the net's if you use plummers knockouts

[​IMG]

Teamster6

3. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

I found the knockouts at HD today, T :thumbs-up:

Nice thread, TC

4. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

awesome thread tC i think that may just be the way for me to go... where did you get the pump that acepts tha threaded coupler?

5. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

Thanks for the info T6. I'm at the hydro store about as much as I go to HD, so it wasn't that big of a deal to get the netpots.

Thanks Bigbud, I picked everything up at the hydro store, but the pump is this model:

ActiveAqua Pump 250 GPH

•Powerful mag drive construction.

•Removable foam filters and impellers included.

•Indoor / outdoor use.

•Oil free / environmentally safe.

•One year warranty

Got it for $20.

CCrete likes this.
  6. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Very nice. I dig the cool DIY cloners and hydro stuff. I might build a couple and use 1 large net pot and try growing some tomatoes. Good thread TC. :good job:

7. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

Hey HHHG, is this DIY list worthy?

-tC

8. Bigbud214

could this set up be used to grow single plants by maling one big say 6" hole for the net pot and grow a monster in?

my initial thought is that i could with no issues whatsoever... maybe even just have interchangeable lids with varyin sized holes... maybe say 3 or 4 clone spots and maybe 1 or 2 say 3" or 4" net pots in one lid to start and veg a couple plants... then have a lid with a 6" net pot to flower in and maybe have a 2nd bucket setup for the other plant... does that sound reasonable? or even doable? remember i have only room for like 3 or 4 plants... im thinking i could grew a couple of monsters this way?

9. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Throwing it up as a stickie so we don't lose this one. HHG can decide if he wants it in the list.

Nice!

10. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

Certainly. A 5 gallon bucket with a bigger pump (400). One 3" netpot would be sufficient.

11. Bigbud214

thanks MrA

just thinking about trying something different in the future... Ya know learn new ways and styles of growing..

12. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

With that, you can try aeroponics in limited space.

I'm going to put one together to compare cloning. Currently, I'm getting roots with CM in 7 days; with ICE, I didn't get any.

I have 3" netpots from a 30 Areoponics system (space/temp. issues), so I'd like to grow one solely aero.

13. ScottyG420

ScottyG420 Marijuana Handler

I'm not understanding the pump. What type of pump is it? I'm guessing submersible. Where would I get one for 3 and 5 gal buckets....aquarium store? Hydro store maybe?

How do I put the misters on the pipes?

Before you get impatient with me, please keep in mind that I've only been to these hardware stores a few times in my whole life. Going to Lowe's or Home Depot is actually a big deal for me b/c I no nothing about hardware. Seriously...NOTHING.

PS- What are plummers knockouts?

14. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

I've made a few of them

I just saved a few $$$ on using the a piece of drip line and a tee instead of PVC and glue.

that and I sold them for $75.a piece:thumbs-up:

15. Bigbud214

scotty g

i got a 264 gal/hour submersable pump at the hydro store for $25... i did not glue the PVC together just pressing the pieces together holds them tight and they can be broken down or easy cleaning by not glueing... as for the misters i bought EZCLONER replacement 360 degree misters... i drilled an 11/64's hole in the PVC where i wanted the misters then tapped the whole with a course thread wood screw... just screwed the screw into the hole and backed it out... th misters then thread right into the holes... ask me anything man i just built one for $50 and it includes an air pump and airstone to aerate te water... it works awesome im 7 for 7 clones showing roots in less than a week... things work magic man... ive never cloned before so i cant argue with 100% success on my first try

16. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

Learn how to PROPERLY clean the cloner out too

Its the 2nd biggest deal besides plugging it in

20% bleach 80% water, run it for a day, then run clean water thru it for 12 hours, empty, run CLEAN water again 12 hrs, then let air dry and store for the next time, I also FILP my "holders" to clean both sides and replace them once a year, same with the misters, its cheap....why not

and CLEAN THE FILTER in the PUMP, another big deal

17. Bigbud214

thanks CC

was gonna tear it all down and soak it in the bleach solution... but running the bleach solution through the pump and misters will thouroughly clean the misters and the pump...

18. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Id rather clean with hydrogen peroxide letting the cloner run. Sometimes the bleach will leave a build up in the neoprene. Anyways I have had better success not useing bleach

Teamster6

19. Bigbud214

i see ONA has a cleane thats bleach based and intended for hydro with no residue... but im guessing its super pricey lol.... i clean my reptiles cage with a 3% bleachsolution when i do a tear down... was gonna d the same concentration for the aero.... hydrogenperoxide makes sense also... now im undecided lol

20. ScottyG420

ScottyG420 Marijuana Handler

thanks for responding, bb.

where do you get those 360degree misters?

I really do want to build one of these. my self-esteem would be through the roof.