Alternative pots. Air-pot vs Fabric grow bags

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by skunky, Aug 28, 2014.

1. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Well something interesting. So I just got around to breaking down the coco from some rootballs. These are rootballs of two Jamican D. One from the 2.2 gal air-pot. the other from a 1gal fabric pot. The air-pot was actually vegged for two weeks prior. The 1 gal was just thrown directly in from rooting and transplant.

So question, which root system belongs to which pot? Which is the better? Left/right, air-pot/fabric pot.

[​IMG]

Mrgreengenes likes this.
  2. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

The left looks to be a stronger, though smaller, root mass. Thinking it's the 1 gal fabric too.

3. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

Ditto.

My votes is left roots are 1 gallon fabric.

4. skunky

Left is 2.2gal air pot with 2 weeks veg. Right is 1gal generic fabric pot I bought off amazon with zero veg time. I posted this else where and it's been the same with others. Air pots aren't what they are cracked up the be. Fabric is a better and cheaper option for end product. Air-pot would only potentially last longer. The roots on the left while it may somewhat appear they are stronger it's because the air-pots don't saturate for shit. So what would be absorbing and transporting nutrients gets dry spots and turns tough and bark like. Wish I would have researched those more because everyone in the other threads I posted or have talked to or have found just from researching all say fabric is better. Also should note the one on the right had the most dense and solid mass. Lots of peripheral roots. And it was no harder removing the media and all from the fabric bag than the air pots. Just instead of undoing the air pot and unwrapping I just gently punched around the outside of the fabric bag to loosen it then did the rest the same for both. the fabric pot with no veg was solid. I've ordered more fabric bags. So what I want to do is do duplicates of air-pots vs fabric using the same cuts similar in size, trans plant to veg the same day and then to flower the same day and see what happens. Though I might have to phase that in. So far I will be running a CD in both then probably a SD in both, maybe GS. not sure yet.

Should mention these are the same cut and the 1 gal was about the same yield though looks less, but is more dense.

5. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

That's some good info there skunky. :thumbs-up:

6. DXE

DXE Moderator

Ha - I guessed it right!!!!

I only use the softpots and a generic brand of fabric pots I found at the greenhouse megastore online. I like the generic ones - 1$ a pot and are made with 50% recycled plastic woven in...

7. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

A dude at one of the hydro shops was showing me those air pots and went on about the principle and toughness. He said he'd give me a good price because he had several. When he gave me the price I thought to myself 'chances are you'll have several for a while' but did get a couple more fabric bags from him.

Be Cool, CG

8. DXE

DXE Moderator

I have read that the airpots work best when you pack some very wet soil in all the dimples before you fill the pot with soil. Also many complain about soil washout from the bottom and add screening.

I will stick with the smart-pots - fabric pots.

9. skunky

And I do both of those things. Use window screen in the bottom. I just laid them out on the screen and used 4 zip ties to secure each then cut out. I moisten the coco mix. Stir around and wet then pack when I go to transplant. Still got dry spots. From looking around more and talking to others it sounds like the air pots perform best with blumats or other drip systems.

10. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Good to know. Thnx much skunky.:thumbsup: