Another run with Sannie's Killing Fields

Discussion in 'Grow Log Forum' started by OldSmokey, Dec 12, 2016.

1. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

Looks like jumangi in there.

I miss kf

2. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

IMG_1029.JPG
    It's a good strain for sure.

ResinRubber likes this.
  3. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

Looks like you grew a good one, Blazer. I've only popped one of my KF seeds and got a green one. I like its odor and taste. Effects, too!

Flushing the hedge begins... Since the cabinet's drainage system needs to have some conductivity present in the drainage water, tap water was added to the RO to bring up the ppm to 50. After 8 gallons through each pot yesterday, I'm seeing 100 ppm coming out this morning.
    [​IMG]

Don't need no stinkin' colas; they'd just keep the photons off my larf...
    [​IMG]

4. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

Doing it proper

5. OldSmokey

Jumangi… lol. That and then some.

I was surprised that the perlite had remained so root-free. Looks like watering in only one place in the pot has an advantage. Also having the perlite in a bag sure made handling the root ball much cleaner and easier.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

By week 3 of flower, one of the old Hempy-style drain fittings had plugged up solid with roots. After I caused root rot in the last grow while trying to unclog a plugged drain, I decided I’d leave it alone this time. It was nice to have a spare.
    [​IMG]

The Dutch bucket drain fitting worked really well. I never saw any roots in it. I could easily get almost all the liquid out of the buckets. This made weekly flushing and the final flush much more efficient. Since it worked so well, I figured two drains would be better than one. The Double-Dutch drain… Better safe than sorry. A couple of other interesting things: there was no perlite silt in the bottom of the buckets at the end and the empty spaces in the bucket that the bag created around the fittings weren’t a problem, more like extra space for roots.
    [​IMG]

This was the second time I tried bending untopped plants while they were young. Seems to spread the branches out pretty well and gives me and the plants something to do while the roots reach for the reservoir.
    [​IMG]

By the time it was jarred up, there was 285 g. Not quite “Three a Light” but surprisingly good considering how unhappy I made them with no AC right after the second defoliation. Taste-testing suggests that it’s not horrible bud either. We shall see in a couple more weeks.
    [​IMG]

One thing that I noticed while trimming was that the plants had grown back a substantial amount of leaves after the second defoliation, almost like I did it too early. A lot of the leaves that grew back where the colas should have been wouldn’t spread their “fingers”. Also the usual 12 week flower seemed about a week too long. After looking at the “3 a light” video, it looks like those guys are defoliating right at the end of stretch, though it’s a little hard to tell. If they’re running strains with shorter flowering times (and I’d guess so) I could see 3 weeks being the right time for the second defoliation for them.

So, let’s try this again…
    [​IMG]

6. OldSmokey

Hi All,

I thought I’d try something a little different from the last grow, as it was a little too close to overflowing the cabinet, in spite of my failed defoliation. (There will be no more defoliating around here until the AC is more reliable. Hot weather is coming!) So, the light was flipped before there was a lot of foliage in the screen. Tucking of the branches lasted for 10 days, with the stretch continuing for another 20.
    [​IMG]

The calendar says that today is the end of stretch. Looks like I could have vegged a few days longer. Perhaps having the buds a little closer to the light will allow for some nicer looking buds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for my long-awaited AC upgrade; it’s getting there. The inside part is done and work continues on the outside part. The new unit is a 9k BTU heat pump. The old AC is only 5k but seemed adequate during cooler weather. It’ll remain as a backup. Hopefully the new unit will be lots easier on the electric bill. It’s supposed to be really efficient at 30 SEER. We shall see…
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

HOLY GOOD GODDAMN! I love your setup man. SO CLEAN!!! Great pics too man. One of them looks like ET is the hort!

I love this shot.

[​IMG]

I may shoot you a pm. About to upgrade my AC too. Prob need some guidance.

8. OldSmokey

Sorry, SuperMo, I didn’t see your post. Thanks so much for the nice comments. Feel free to PM.

Going into week 10/12. The pistils up on top suggest they might be getting close to done, but the trichomes say no. The middle and lower part of the canopy look like they could easily go another three weeks. I’m hoping the tops don’t end up too overripe.
    [​IMG]

The buds seem like they’re a little more dense than in the past.
    [​IMG]

The AC still is full of air, waiting on “the dude” to evacuate it and get it going. I hope it doesn’t leak.
    [​IMG]

The clones in my high tech clone box are causing a minor problem. 3 of the 4 have roots at 9 days. I was figuring on 14 days, so they're a bit early. This is the second time I've tried pre-soaking the cubes in pH'd RO, carefully adjusting the pH with a drop or two of Down every day for a week. I'm looking to try it again. It looks promising. These clones are little larger than I've had in the past and their stems were stout enough to keep them nicely upright throughout. I spent about 3 weeks up-potting and charging up the very root-bound mom (she was in a 1 QT hempy cup for 80 days) before I took the cuts and they got bigger than I was expecting.
    [​IMG]

9. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

Phoning home

Whats up with the AC needing the dude? I don't understand, man.

That weed looks hella frosty. Here's a vote for density too!

My cuts always look like shit until week 3 veg. The ones that survive. LOL

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  10. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Proof again that you can grow dank in small spaces. This is an awesome thread.

11. OldSmokey

The AC needs pressure testing with nitrogen to check for leaks and then for the nitrogen to be pumped out with a vacuum pump. (The condenser is pre-charged with refrigerant.) Costs too much to buy equipment to do this correctly for just one AC hence the need for "the dude".

blazerwill420 likes this.
  12. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

You're not really pumping the nitrogen out, you're pulling a vacuum to get non condensables out. Air turns to water under pressure and will thrash a compressor. And it looks like you got a handle on that kf!

OldSmokey likes this.
  13. OldSmokey

And another one comes to a close…

I’ve been harvesting this plant at 12 weeks for a long time. It looks like it would be better to run it a week less. This pic is from 6 days before harvest and it looks done.
    [​IMG]

Here’s something interesting: One of the plants reasserted its main top like it wasn’t in a scrog. (These are untopped plants, just bent over when they were small.) It made for a pretty good cluster of buds. Now if I can only figure out how to do it again consistently.
    [​IMG]

This batch yielded 300 g., with about an oz. of popcorn not counted. I hope it tastes good.
    [​IMG]

The new AC has proved to be a bit of a pain, though the startup went well (No leaks!). Apparently its thermostat is built into the unit on the wall and it wants to cool things off just a little too well when the light’s on in the cabinet. It needs to be set 8 degrees higher during “lights on” and 3 degrees higher when the lights are off. It does have timers in it that can be set to make this happen automatically, but it’s kind of crude and imprecise to do it that way. (I’m taking the temperature at the ceiling to get the proper level at the floor.) A proper thermostat ($257 for the only one that works with this unit) has been ordered, perhaps having it in the intake air stream of the cabinet will give a little better control. After doing a bit of Googling, this seems to be a normal thing with these units. (It says right there in the instructions not to grow plants with it. LOL) It does have lots of cooling power and is damn quiet, both inside and outside. I disabled all the fancy features and let it run with its fan on manual low. It seems much more consistent that way.

One change that I did with this grow was to extend the weekly flush to be an overnight thing. In the past, as soon as the buckets were rinsed out, I refilled them right away with the next week’s mixed nutes. This time, after the flush, the plants sat in pH’d water for about 14 hours, once a week. They seemed to like this, so I’ll be doing it from now on.

Looks like I may have finally figured out the problem I’ve been seeing in the veg plants ever since starting the use of RO. Apparently it was a lack of calmag. The plants seem much happier when they’re getting about half their ppms from calmag.

The new batch of 2 bonsai moms and 2 future cabinet fillers in training. They look like they’d like a little less N. They’ve been in the 1 QT cups for 3 weeks, which included several days of not feeding them enough and 9 days of waiting for the roots to hit the reservoir. Being under 24 hour lighting has kept the two that are to go in the big cabinet a little smaller than I’d like.
    [​IMG]

Today was transplant day; after being in the cups for 21 days, the roots were starting to circle.
    [​IMG]

And so, another one begins… Like deja vu, all over again. :)
    [​IMG]

ResinRubber and Discorilla like this.
  14. Discorilla

Discorilla Shining like a Discoball!

I wish I had got mine to pop! Killing Fields was a good one!

15. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

Smokey, were you the one last year doing hempy outside? Nice harvest btw.

16. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

17. OldSmokey

Thanks, guys.

Blazer, I ran her outside for two summers in a 5 gallon hempy, but that was 3 or 4 years back. She was well-liked by the caterpillars.

18. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Been a long time since I seen a nugg that frosty. Nice job Smokey.

19. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

And did you say you had to water a couple of times a day when it was hot? I was just wondering because I'm getting ready to run some. I ran in 5 gallon buckets last year and don't really remember doing that but this year I have smaller buckets. I am hardening off the clones now.

20. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

I have seeds.