Aquaponic setup

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by nappyhawk, Dec 4, 2016.

1. nappyhawk

nappyhawk New Sprout

Slowly getting together a new setup. Been a few years since I've had the room for something. It's small but hoping for the best. So far I've got:
    30 gallon aquarium (drilled)
    28 gallon sump (commercial trash can)
    1 bus tub for a possible RSWC

Have fitted the parts together, currently have the tank stocked with tropical community fish. Changing over to a pair of gold fish possible. Have read the plants prefer the cooler water temps.

Aquarium drains into tub,
    then into the trash can where a return pump sends the water back up to the aquarium.

Ideally would like to run a few staggered fem clones. Possibly do a small aero garden style bonsai moms in a small veg space.
    Cabinet is about 2' sq.
    Would the mars hydro 300 be a total wast of money? Jade plant seems to like it so far.
    Hoping to get this winter project kick started soon.

2. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

I personally have not used Fish as part of a Hydropincs set up. I've heard of people growing using the water from the Fish tank set ups. It just seems like to much work for me.
    Good luck with it.

3. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Only know what I've read about aquaponics. Even gave it a thought a year or so back, then decided to put the work into something else. Hope you keep us updated on how you develop a small scale cannabis system.

4. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

Cannagirl's our resident expert.

5. ResinRubber

She's been sporadic on GK for a while now. That was a long time ago and if I remember correctly was a very very basic set up.

6. nappyhawk

nappyhawk New Sprout

It's all work, but already have most of the basics. So figure why not use the tank as a Rez and basically plants as a supplement to the current filtration.
    So far I've got a jade plant on a shelf and a few green onions re-vegging in gravel/net pots

ResinRubber likes this.
  7. nappyhawk

nappyhawk New Sprout

The tank. Everyone enjoys pics right?

Attached Files:

8. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

Or Boa, but he hasn't been around in eons.

9. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

Jade plants and onions...you're doing it wrong! :chef:

10. SuperMoChombo

Yep I see the pic. Is that a dead frog chained to your pagoda?

11. nappyhawk

nappyhawk New Sprout

assuming the negativity is jokes. That's a diver chained to a treasure chest. Seeds should be here soon and the green onions will go in a stir fry. The jade can stay until the cabinet fills in with other plants

blazerwill420 likes this.
  12. ResinRubber

They're just being friendly. When they rub up on you though it gets kinda creepy....call admin.

13. SuperMoChombo

I heard on the radio last night that people mentally associate being nice with being stupid, and being a dick with competence. Or rather, nice-ness and competence are infrequently associated. This is in keeping with my observation that many assholes rise to the top. This is interesting to me. I've decided to be less nice, more a dick, and boost my chances for promotion. I've got to squash the perception that I am just a sweethearted numbskull.

blazerwill420 likes this.
  14. nappyhawk

nappyhawk New Sprout

If they rub up on me, I might like it.

15. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Yeah the tank looks good.

16. SuperMoChombo

I like the auquaponics idea. Do you add any nutrients or is fish all you need? Is there as certain level of fish you need to produce the nutrients the plants need?

17. nappyhawk

nappyhawk New Sprout

I'm sure there is an ideal. Typically an aquarium is stocked with one inch per gallon. I have read up and realized it's better to use cold water fish as I have previously. So all I have in the tank now is a pair of 4" comet goldfish and one 5-6" koi. So far the 4 ladies look happy. They're in aquarium gravel/net pots with an air stone buried in the gravel. Actually thinking of putting some shrimp in the bus tub/grow bed area. It is open to light and has some good Algea growth.

18. nappyhawk

nappyhawk New Sprout

Almost a month in. Seems to be working

Attached Files:

19. SuperMoChombo

Hmmmmm a month in from seed?

20. nappyhawk

nappyhawk New Sprout

Correct.