Aquaponic setup

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by nappyhawk, Dec 4, 2016.

1. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

The local grow shop has an aquaponics set-up in their store. I really dig the idea, especially since I spend so much money on nutrients.

What makes me worried is what to do if you recognize a nutrient deficiency in the plants. I imagine you just can't add a shot of this or that to a fish tank with live fish.

2. nappyhawk

nappyhawk New Sprout

Was wondering the same thing myself. Pretty sure the only issue so far is heat...working on that. DIY carbon scrubber and a few pc fans should do the trick.

3. nappyhawk

nappyhawk New Sprout

Well I've had to switch gears. Ended up using a tent and a different garbage can for a Rez/goldfish tank. Not much headroom left for plants in the 4' tent so lookin at other Rez options

4. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

those black totes with yellow lids at dePot

5. nappyhawk

nappyhawk New Sprout

Saw those ... might use a bucket temporarily

6. nappyhawk

nappyhawk New Sprout

Said fuck it. Put them in dirt. Growth was super stunted. Felt bad for the fish in the Rez so they're going back in a 29g. Might set up a flood table outside for some leafy greens off the pond this spring. Hell I may run a line outside and use pond water or maxibloom if I try hydro again.

7. Discorilla

Discorilla Shining like a Discoball!

Aquaponics is a different game with Cannabis. I've messed around with it a little, but it takes a sophisticated setup.

8. nappyhawk

nappyhawk New Sprout

Agreed. Years ago when I first joined up I had the space for a decent setup.
    2x3' f&d tables
    150hps veg
    400hps flower.
    55g drum stocked with goldfish.

That system worked like a charm out in the shed.

ResinRubber likes this.
  9. nappyhawk

nappyhawk New Sprout

Honestly I'm just not that impressed with the heat from the mars hydro led. Debating on ordering some cree chips to swap out on it. Maybe another driver to run a small clone box.

10. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

Nappy, what part of country you in?

I'm trying to throw veggie aquaponics preferable, but prob hydro.

Anyways, how long did it take to get fish stable .

Not sure how well it would do with marijuana, but I've been studying some systems just for some bibb lettuce and a few other greens.

You got any pointers?

11. nappyhawk

nappyhawk New Sprout

I'm back east again for a few years. Hoping to get back west where my heart has always been in the next couple years.
    Most of my experience was with the 55g drum and ebb Flo tables. Started out just as you would with an aquarium letting the ammonia cycle with minimal fish. I really think having a gravel bed for the bacteria to break everything down helped. Also I ran two tables off the same Rez which may have helped use the whole spectrum of nutrients from the fish waste.
    I've seen videos where guys keep worms in the gravel bed to help break down the solid waste. Or you can use a swirl filter and drain them off to be used in dirt plants or the garden.

Off topic but I think I'm having heat issues in this small tent. Didn't realize this light would put off so much damn heat!

12. nippie

anytime you use hid lighting you have heat issues, vent, and make sure you got air circulating!!!! tents will give you mold real quick if you don't move air with heat issues

nappyhawk likes this.
  13. nappyhawk

nappyhawk New Sprout

I had reservations about this inline fan from amazon. Might have to order one of those fancy ones. Just out of curiosity do y'all think swapping the junk leds for some crees would decrease the heat? Thinking it won't but I have an itch for a diy led

14. nippie

i have some leds...honestly they vary greatly system to system.

i don't know the proper names but basically the power supply runs hot, keep those on outside of tent if possible. I honestly feel that LED and HID put off close to the same heat if everything is in the same room when you are looking at watt for watt, but you can space more with led etc so it helps with hot spots and better coverage...but you can move the power supply which helps some with the heat.

15. nappyhawk

nappyhawk New Sprout

Debating on removing the drivers and having them outside the tent. But if I do that I might as well swap out the leds while I'm at it.

16. nappyhawk

nappyhawk New Sprout

Seems that mars light is just too hot for my liking. Swapped it out for some cree cobs. 3 in the 2x2 run the same temp in the tent as in the room. Plants seem a lot happier with the 3500k (I think is what I decided on)

17. Dumme

Dumme Member

It's too bad...

I really think if you stuck with it, you'd like it. I've been growing cannabis in aquaponics for years and really enjoy it, and the results.

Here's a couple pic from 5 mins ago..
    2017-05-31 15.10.46.jpg 2017-05-31 15.10.07.jpg 2017-05-31 15.09.30.jpg

Max Rockatansky and bigbudztoo like this.
  18. nappyhawk

nappyhawk New Sprout

Well then I may just give it another whirl. Just got a 20g high tank to replace my 5g bucket Rez. Should fit nicely in the wardrobe I'm using. Can always fill some media from my 75s canister filter. I'll have to creep on ur posts aquaponicDumme.

Dumme likes this.
  19. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

You got some blood sweat and tears into that set up. Really nice work. All for just yourself? Man, that be a labor of love.

Back to the original question though, and I know it's nit picky but... I know the difference between a bud site and a cola and was specifically asking how better light penetration increases quality at specific bud sites. You've obviously tended enough plants to have noticed the difference in quality between a shaded bud and a well lit bud? If direct light to a bud site (flower) has no effect, how do you account for what growers experience every single grow?

That's the root of the entire debate. How to get better light to more bud sites. I'm not a big believer in the entire added stress scenario and find it counter intuitive to how plants work. My thought is it has more to do with better light penetration and the plant simply surviving the stress.

20. Dumme

Dumme Member

(I think this is for me, but I didn't want to hijack the thread)

Yes :)
    I'm a medical patient, but recreational is also legal in my state, so I can grow for both. I've also been sharing the recreational side of my garden with one of my apartment tennants upstairs.

The best advice I can give is to simply add more light. I constantly question why would anyone remove that which makes the substance for cell division.

I suggest, instead of removing leaves (for light penetration), add more light, and only prune undesirable flower sites.

By doing this, you would be maximizing photosynthesis, and concentrating photosynthate to remaining flower sites.