BHO and outdoor temps.

Discussion in 'Hash and Oil' started by Lvstickybud, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

What is the cut off temp for doing BHO? I'm just about ready for more but I'm not sure how low the temp outside should be before the butane stays a gas?

2. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

It isn't going to get cold enough to matter old head. Butane evap is also a property of 'saturation' in the surrounding air. Like water evaporates even though it's not boiling. So even if it was -20F outside, the butane will just evap more slowly.

3. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

Gotta disagree Res, I'm not a pro by any means but i can make some pretty good bho. I tried it when it was in the mid 50's and the butane came and froze into clumps and drew moisture from the air and messed everything up and I had to use the stuff for edibles. I was trying to make shatter and got some stuff that never quite hardened up.

That blob in the middle is what happened when it was cold out... notshatter.jpg

And what I get when it's above 70.

shatter.jpg shattera.jpg

4. ResinRubber

Dunno what to tell ya. I'm in the great white north and have run in temps below freezing quite a bit. My guess you're getting condensation on the inside of the evap bowl and it's dripping into the solution, that could have something to do with it. Up here winter humidity is desert dry and temps so cold condensation is pretty much nil. Dunno for sure...just spitballing possible differences.

5. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

I find the colder and drier the air, the better the purge. When I blast in the summer, the tube gets chunked up with hoarfrost, and I actually get water from the moist air condensing on the surface of the cold butane and freezing in little white balls. I used to think this was congealed wax, but it's ice. These don't melt until the liquid butane boils off and the temps in the pan get above 32. In the summer I routinely pour off water at that point, then resume normal bubble popping / whipping. I also like that in the winter when I take my tube out of the freezer and carry it out to the garage, it's not dripping wet and warming up by the time I get the butane through. Stays nice and cold. I want all the water in that tube locked up as ice. Otherwise I get a green tinge to the wax.

Water present in the tube or pan is harder to avoid in the summer, what with ultra cold objects and higher humidity. In the winter things stay drier, though the temp manipulation after the purge is different in the cold. Once the tane all boils off, I bring the pan indoors for the whipping / vaccing steps.

LV to your original question, the air temps would have to be deathly cold to slow down the butane evaporation rate. When I hit the liquid butane with the laser thermometer, it reads like -26 degrees. Butane boils at 32 degrees, the same temp that water freezes.

My two cents.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  6. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

You're probably right Res, I use a pan of water on top of a hot plate to sit my blast receptacle in and it's probably picking up the water from that. That thing that Super described with the butane freezing into little white balls is exactly what happened but I've never had it happen in warm temps.

7. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

All good answers but I figured butane would still evaporate (I'm no genius but I kinds knew that part.lol) I was wondering on it coming out of the can and soaking the inside of the tube.

8. ResinRubber

On that part, the colder the better. Even if it trickles out, that's better than vaporized spray from a hot can. I actually freeze my 'tane canisters before using to get as much liquid butane as possible.

Lvstickybud likes this.
  9. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Ahhh, I see. I was thinking the opposite would happen.