Bodhi Testers: Mendo Purps X Snow Lotus

Discussion in 'Grow Log Forum' started by Discorilla, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Discorilla

Discorilla Shining like a Discoball!

Yes, this is the one. I still need to fine tune my plant canopy a little bit better in the future, but these lights are beastly! I have replaced all of my 600s with them, and the heat is a lot less than it was. I don't know if people consider how much heat ballasts can add, too...

1200 w for a 10 x 4, instead of 1800w for a 9x4.

2. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

No bulb replacement.

blazerwill420 and Discorilla like this.
  3. Discorilla

That's the other big one!

blazerwill420 likes this.
  4. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

How much does it cut the heat? That's what I'm really interested in. I'd like to start using my room in the summer but even with one 1kw light I'd need at minimum a 1 ton ac to cool the room and I don't want to pay that bill. I've been running my 8 bulb t5 from 9:00pm to 9:00 am (8 52 watt bulbs) and the room hovers around 82 and that's also with the house ac vent pumping air into the room when ever it comes on.

5. Discorilla

It cuts it enough to where I can run the full grow room in the summer, which I couldn't do with 3 600s. I haven't really been paying attention to temps, because my plants haven't been showing signs of heat stress. I'll put a probe in there and get a number, though.

My veg spaces are still a little hotter than I like, though. because I'm using MH and T5s.

6. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

there may be some leds cooler than mine. i've got the rapid led onyx lights, and a lumigrow. including the power supply id say led is only slightly less hot than hps. the heat tends to be more noticeable since the leds aren't in vented hoods like the hps are

if you hooded and vented led i would say it would be significantly cooler than hps

nippie likes this.
  7. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

I totally agree with this.

I think led grows good weed, but think watt for watt its as hot as hps.

Led may the future, but companies need to think of large scale. They need to figure out a way to vent heat sink, or cool it in a way that it doesnt raise room temp or it will never take over

If you put your hand by the fans cooling them off they run pretty hot. The power supply can have 50ft line, but the heat is coming off the fins not thr components.

Im thinking about playing with plasma, its just a lot to invest unless ite a very large operation.

Ive only used the oynx led, but dont think i would do entire grows based solely off them because i th8nk it would be harder to cool. Some other brands might be better, i just dont have the experience other than them being hot.

But i would always stick to t5s or mh in veg. T5s can support veg easily imho

I will say i solved my problems with oynx (shitty fans, cant believe how many i replaced) but i removed the back of some of tge units and blow a reg fan across. I think the top of the unit over heats them. Havent had an issue since i did of them over heating

8. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

I'd sure love to see an LED with the same form factor as my 6" vented hood. It would make upgrading a bunch easier.

The manufacturers are probably afraid that we'll under cool them, so they make them complete with their matching fans and nothing to connect a duct to.

Maybe someday.

9. Discorilla

I've still got my 8 inch fan pulling out of the room and big fans circulating the air. It's noticeably cooler in the flower area and outside of the flower area where the air is being vented. My biggest source of heat now comes from running my veg lights/ballasts 24 hours. I've had to turn them off to get my basement cooled down a few times.

10. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

Ok, I'm sold on the heat thing. I upgraded my wood shop instead. New drill press, belt/disc sander combo, new lathe tools, router table bit set....

Maybe when they deal with the heat thing....

11. Discorilla

Watt for watt they might produce similar heat, but it doesn't take as much wattage in LEDs to light the same amount of area. The heat difference between 1800 watts HID and 1200 LED is definitely noticeable. It takes 2/3 the wattage of HIDs roughly.

I could almost double my grow space with LEDs and run the same amount of wattage as I was running before.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    blazerwill420 likes this.
  12. toshin

toshin Active Member

In the winter with my LEDs the room is too cold. I'll probably have a heater in this upcoming winter.

Discorilla likes this.
  13. Discorilla

I've been thinking about this one, too. It's been great in the Summer, but how much power will a heater draw? I was thinking I could add another light to the area and make it slightly larger, since I've got an extra 3 feet of wiggle room. This in turn would add heat for much less wattage than a heater.

14. toshin

toshin Active Member

I don't have the space for more lighting, I've had to reduce from 6 to 4 plants with this last grow because of space issues. I was thinking of a small oil filled heater to keep the room minimum of 65 degrees or so. If I had the space, would gladly add lights to heat things up.

Discorilla likes this.
  15. Discorilla

These testers are going ham! I'm guessing these plants will be heavy by the time they are done!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Discorilla

MPSLCanopy.jpg MPSLhugeness!.jpg Getting bigger every day!

17. toshin

toshin Active Member

Looking amazing! How close are they coming to the lights? I've got my fingers crossed but may run into a space issue here soon.

Discorilla likes this.
  18. Discorilla

I had to tie them back away from the lights. There was definitely some stretch. The plants don't really like being closer than 18 inches, but they'll put up with it.

19. Discorilla

The ladies have two to three weeks left, so I will begin the ripening phase of Nectar Feeds. I haven't fed them much through this cycle and the main colas are as big as my legs now. It's time to get the fade going!

MPSLhuge.jpg sidempsl.jpg

nippie and ResinRubber like this.
  20. Discorilla

We are definitely getting closer to the end of flower. Something that I have found with a lot of strains with "Purple" lineage, is that they are prone to late flower nanners. I have plucked some off of two of my plants. The first photo will show some obvious ones at the top of the bud on the left side. The trichomes are still cloudy to white, so the plants have another week or so to go.
    MPSL1.jpg
    IMG_6308[1].JPG

ResinRubber and nippie like this.