Check my plants please

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by LowRydr, Sep 22, 2007.

1. LowRydr

LowRydr Veggy Stage

just like to get a second opine on my plants. getting into the 7th week of flowering. yellowing as expected but interesting how two different strains are yellowing differently and one is purpling. this may be due to the cool nights here in the last couple of weeks...or overfert?

this is a balcony grow (my 3rd year) using soil (/perlite/cowpoop) fertilized with off-the-shelf chemical fert and miracle grow big bloom. i use LST method of tying down the plants to grow horizonally and spread out the branches. each container has two plants, one planted at each end and tied down towards the other end. i've had great results the previous seasons with this method. i water and fertilize each container/strain the same. i've watered in a full dose of miracle grow weekly for the past 4 weeks. with a flush after every 2nd: fert-fert-flush-fert-fert-flush-etc.

here's both side by side

[​IMG]

big bud - yellowing more overall, leaves dropping downward

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

northern lights x big bud cross - yellowing more from big fan leaves first, leaves cupping upwards, some yellow leaves are purplish on the ends

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

whaddyathink?

Cannagirl likes this.
  2. El Campesino

El Campesino The Farmer

Looks real sweet!

3. Redbeard

Redbeard Excommunicated

that shit looks tite brotha

4. snickelfritz

snickelfritz Weed College Hall Monitor

In order for us to adequately judge the quality of your bud, we will have to all get together for a taste test! :) :eusa_shifty:

5. natemic

natemic Developed Alternating Nodes

Is that some kind of ficus you got braided in the back (left), there? Just curious, looks like the weeping fig we've got outside.

Oh, and more importantly, nice lookin' buds. Can't wait to see how they finish.

6. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

They look real good :punk: One thing though, that pinking, while pretty :) might be the result of a molybdenum deficiency.

Plants need it to help with the chemical changes associated with nitrogen nutrition. What moly does is it enables the plant to use the nitrogen. Without it the plant might develop what looks like a nitrogen deficiency, but also may have pinked edges due to the high levels of unused nitrogen in the leaves. It's kind of weird, there will be a lot of nitrogen present, but the leaves can't use it. So you get a yellowing and the possible pinking. The pink starts at the tips, and moves inwards.

Dolomite lime can help the soil release the Moly. It takes a while to cure and probly wouldn't even be finished by the time you chop, just something to think about.

Moly Deficiency

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Wanted to add......a difference between a normal nitrogen deficiency and a moly deficiency is that with a nitrogen, the bottom leaves yellow first and with moly it's a bit random or it's the middle of the plant.

And nate i'm guessing the braided one is a money tree or a Pachira Aquatica, I have one too :)

8. LowRydr

LowRydr Veggy Stage

thanks everyone. anyone in switzerland in december is welcome to taste the harvest! :) (and might i add....this is a LEGAL grow)

on the possible molybdeum deficiency - i've been giving them a fert with micronutes every 4 weeks or so, but it's packed with nitrogen (sold as a 'plant cure' for sick (deficient) plants. this late in the game i suppose there is little need to dose it with the extra nitrogen.

i haven't added any dolomite lime to my soil but will probably do it next season. the only reason that i didnt do it this season is that its only sold in huge lawn sized bags here. all i need is a handfull or so.

and yes, that's a pachira (money plant) in the background. i rescued it from near death with only 3 leaves and now it's busting out huge. sadly, only one of the braided stalks survived but it still looks great.

9. marymaryquitecntrary

marymaryquitecntrary Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

nice plants, mr rydr! :ebert: nice avatar, too. :D

10. link420

link420 Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

I'll take you up on that bro

I live in Switzerland near Chur, so I'd be happy to take you up on that offer.

Bisch du au vo dr schwyz oder was? i ha nit dänkt das es anderi schwyzer bi growkind hät :)

Anyways, the plants are looking great :punk:

11. ronsr

ronsr Germinated

The purpleing is from the cooler temps as you have said.These are auxilary resins that help the plant in defense.Some growers manipulate this reaction to help cause the purple effect,however I dont believe it inhances the potency.

ronsr

12. snickelfritz

LOL..... Auf englisch bitte.

Auf englisch bitte. :)

Die meisten unseren Mitgliedern verstehen nicht Deutsches. :5eek:

Ahhh, Die Schweiz... Schönes Land! Aber, zu kostspielig...
    :icon_confused:

13. LowRydr

LowRydr Veggy Stage

lausanne, so kein deutsch aber ich verstehe ein bisschen.

do you ski? i used to ski a lot in your area - flims/laax, lenzerheide, davos, etc. lovely mountains there and good snow.

14. link420

yeah, I snowboard and I'm really lookin forward to this winter. but I've never had the priviledge of carving the swiss alps, since I just moved back here recently. Laax/Flims, hopefully I'll be working there this winter (I had an interview for a job there). Would be real sweet because its snowboarder central...and I'd get to ride for free :qbluewacko:

We should tear it up somtime :punk:

15. link420

You're right, everything but bread is expensive here, but its all worth it. And yeah, no more swiss german. you can't expect anybody but a fellow swiss man to understand that jiberish.

16. snickelfritz

I can just see some of the folks reading that shit & saying... "Huh?"

As they double check their stash! :roll:

17. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Now that's a nice crop!!!![​IMG]

18. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Purpling is caused by temps a lot of the time....but that pinking looks like a moly def. This late in flowering it's not really all that neccesary to treat it. But just IMO, that is not temperature related purpling.

19. LowRydr

LowRydr Veggy Stage

if its not temp related it will be - it's gonna get coooool here, down to 4C (39F) here by saturday. snow in the mountains too - hey link420 - i might be in zermatt or saas fee this weekend. pm me if you are interested.

maybe a question for another thread - but what temps do i need to start worrying about it? can i cover my plants with a blanket to help? the plants are on the balcony, next to the wall, so they should be at least few degrees warmer than the air temp. worse comes to worse, i can always annoy my wife and bring them inside for a night. :laughing5:

20. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

I grew a plant in the winter and it was in the 40s-50s at night, sometimes 30's. It was out of the wind but in a thin shed. If it's storming you might wanna bring em in....if it's stays above 40 or so they probly will be alright. I don't grow outside really...maybe you should wait for other's opinions...