compost tumbler

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Bje4201, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Bje4201

Bje4201 Vegetating

Damn it totally does:roffl:, as i was typing earlier i looked at the pic again and ill be dipped if it doesnt look like a bunch of turds layin in there, but no its just clay soil. My bane to any inground growing. On the plus side, i really like my tumbler, i dont think ill use anything else again.

2. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

why do you need a tumbler? What's the advantage over just a pile of rotting stuff? I just built a compost bin type thing, intended for use with the veg garden. We throw a bunch of shit in there, but no poop. Meat scraps though -don't those rot and break down into eatable shit for plants? Didn't the Indians bury a dead fish next to each corn plant?

I was very disappointed to learn that dog/cat poop is utterly useless...

3. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

It helps aerate the compost and deter anaerobic bacteria (the ones we don't want) and stimulate aerobic bacteria (the ones we do want) by turning the barrel. A pile works fine if you give it a work out with a pitch fork every couple weeks.

4. Bje4201

Bje4201 Vegetating

a pile is fine. But i spent a couple years using an old tiller, pitchfork, plus having to steel rake my pile back up. Now, i just have to spin a barrel and add water if it gets dry. For me, its the way to go. The speed it breaks down is a plus to, everyday i can see less hay and individual matter and more.....I'll say dirt for lack of a better word.boredom played a part in making it to, that or go through moving boxes. So i have a tumbler:roffl: if i didnt already have the barrel it would've never happened. About the meat, ive seen where larger soil and compost companies use animals. But imo, the tumbler would decompose the plant matter quicker than the meat. Idk though, if it works out in your pile let me know. I might try it out

5. Bje4201

Bje4201 Vegetating

Damn its been awhile. Got a nice load of dirt from my tumbler. Im having teouble posting pics again (forgot how) :dink:. Ill try to get one up later. But , it works like a charm

6. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Glad to hear. I was just going through this thread again and noticed that you added clay soil. I was taught not to add any soil. Or meats.

FF, fish isn't meat and works very well plus it breaks down fast especially against beef fat. Meat and fat doesn't break down as quick as plant material.

7. Bje4201

Bje4201 Vegetating

Well, i was hoping the clay would break down . But it really didnt, so no clay next run. Im still happy with the results though, at least it wasnt a wasted build

8. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

You add a few scoops of local soil to help jump start a compost. You don't do meat or other animal products because of the the time it takes to properly break it down. It is a lot easier to spread a disease to yourself or your veggies from meat not probably composted than anything.

9. Bje4201

Bje4201 Vegetating

Well i dont feel so bad now. The clay is my native soil lol. I never put meats or manure from meat eaters in it. Just chicken poop, hay, veggie scraps and some of the soil from my yard. Plus a lil water

10. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

We have a lot of clay here too. I go into the woods and find a nice old fallen tree and dig up some of the soil there. Usually good microbes in that stuff and easier to add to the compost than the normal soil.

11. ResinRubber

Don't add anymore though and break up the clay already in there as much as possible. It can be a good thing in small amounts for retaining moisture.

12. Serenity420

Serenity420 Begun Flowering

Just a few questions about the compost ( just switching to soil from dwc)

1. Instead of purchased seaweed emulsion could I actually just use fresh seaweed?

2. With compost, in a potted plant do you only mix a certain amount of composted material with soil or use straight compost? And how long does it typically provide food for plants?

3. Is it beneficial or quicken the process if you were to add a dose of microbial tea at beginning of compost to help speed things up?

Thanks guys .. be, glad to hear your success

Bje4201 likes this.
  13. Grown in Tx.

Grown in Tx. Locked and Loaded

1 no

2 mixed

3 not sure what that is

Probly best to start a new thread for that Q

Bje4201 likes this.
  14. ResinRubber

1. Yes. Seaweed is heavy in trace minerals. If you're worried about salt, simply rinse the seaweed before mixing.

Seaweed can also be used mixed directly into garden soil.

2. Mix. Depends on the plant, ratio of the mix, size of the container, quality of the soil and quality of the compost. If you fly me out I'll take a look at all those things and give you an answer right quick.:thumbsup:

3. It can't hurt.

15. Bje4201

Bje4201 Vegetating

I'm fairly new to composting so i haven't really gotten to creative with it. Resin and grown in tx are pretty experienced growers so id listen to them. One thing I did do which seemed to help was i put some of my left over mycos in the composter. It seemed to speed up the process, but might have been me imagining it. Good luck and let us know how using the tea and seaweed turns out! Got my second batch of material in and it's still working like a champ