Connecting two pieces of screen together?

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Justcheckingitout, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Ok, I had pm'ed FF on this but his mail box was full, i only have to attach my stainless steel screen on my drum for my tumbler and I am done. Its taking me so long with finishing, I have saved 3 grows of trim and popcorn buds, I should have enough trim and stuff to get a good chunk of hash put together for my first run, DIY tumbler build thread.

Anyways I have to attach two screens together, I thought about superglueing them between two pices of alluminum for the seam. How does this sound? Spot micro weld would be the best but no welder. Bummer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2015
  2. Justcheckingitout

I figured for a bunch of old time stoners, someone has sniffed, I mean used super glue on metal...oh well, I am going to go for it and try it, I got enough screen if it doesnt work I can trim it and use my guitar amp transformer for a home made welder. Just didnt want to risk electrocution just yet.

3. mytwhyt

mytwhyt Established Healthy Roots

Maybe use the aluminum strips and pop rivets and a little silicone??

4. Justcheckingitout

I thought about the pop rivets, only problem i got is I have no rivit gun. I seen they had them at the home store but they were costly. Also I was wondering about how to rivet the two side edges with the last seem, since the screen has to be wrapped around the tumbler then seamed to be nice and tight. I guess the clamp could just hold that together ok.

But thats prob the next best way next to the micro spot weld. I am def going to find someone with either a rivit gun or spot wielder for my next tumbler, just this one I going with what I got around. I had to use a jig saw to cut the wood and some real thinking on other stuff, its going to look great but I learned alot on this build,....I need more tools. :BangHead:

My main worry with the glue is how well it will hold to the aluminum.

5. mytwhyt

mytwhyt Established Healthy Roots

Not knowing what the drum looks like, i'm going to assume it's connected in the center like a spool for wire.. Could you connect the two sides with a wood rib from one side to the other... Fasten one end of screen to the rib, stretch the screen around the drum, then attach that end over the top of the other end...

6. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

The super glue is too stiff. It'll crack at the seam pretty quickly once things start flexing. Why not just use a wood or aluminum lathe (3/4"x1/8") on each side of the seam then use small carriage bolts to lock it all together?

Jus' stoned and thinking....

7. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

Google says Mylar tape works well to patch silkscreen membrane, is give that a try combined with a wood or aluminum lathe like others have suggested.

Can't wait to see pics of this contraption in action :)

8. Justcheckingitout

Mytwhyt, that gives me a great Idea!!! Ah ha!, ok, I am going to try the screen..(.Ducrider ...its stainless steel) between the aluminum, but do a small groove on each side of the wood drum that the extended aluminum (1/4"?) Will fit into, with the hose clamps this should hold great. I am stoned and thinking also...:jj:

Res, the bolts are a great Idea, I think I am going that way next but I dont have any way to drill thru the aluminum and I could not make a thin enough wood piece. This has been the project from hell with not the right tools but I adapted good which you all will see soon. I am going for a sticky somewhere! Lol

I also got another z or two of trim to run thur my first run, so I got like 4-6 z of trim, if i can make some bars of hash, i may just make hash from now on from all my bud.