Cutting tangled roots in DWC

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by Justcheckingitout, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

I'm going to start a DWC tote with like 6 net pots. I'm going to let the clones veg out in them but I'm wondering when I go to separate them to put in flower totes, will cutting some of the end of the roots that I might not be able to get untangled be detrimental to the plants? only reason I'm going to separate them when I go to flower is I don't have a lot of room in the vegging box to put the big DWC totes. I figured I would do like 6 clones in a 8 gallon tote (6 gallon filled just under net pots) for veg and switch to 2 each in 14 gallon (10 gallons just under net pots) totes for flower.

2. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

I run 2X4 flood tables with 8 plants each. I veg them until they are 16-20" tall. When I flip them to flower I move them plant by plant, so I have to remove them from the table one at a time. The roots are ALWAYS a thick carpet along the bottom of the table, like 2" thick. I cut it into squares roughly equal with scissors, then pluck each plant through the panda film, bending the shit out of the root mat at the bottom, then carry it 20' into the flower room and shove the plant into a new table through another X cut into panda film. You see my plants. It surely does something to them but nothing bad that i have noted. I've always transferred the plants from one table to another at flip, just used to flip with smaller plants, less roots. I never used to have to cut them with scissors. I'll take pics in a few weeks and you can see what i mean.

3. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

I was wondering about the same thing. I am going to start vegging a table in sept under a t5 and then transfer half to another table in October then flip the lights to hps and 12/12.

4. Justcheckingitout

would it be easy to just move a table from veg side to flower side, or are they too heavy? You would prob def need two people to move even 8 veg clones at 10+ inches.

5. SuperMoChombo

I bought table too big for my doors. No way to tilt them to get them through the doors without dumping the plants out. I would go for a full table transfer somehow if I could but too late.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ResinRubber and blazerwill420 like this.
  6. SuperMoChombo

That square of roots came through the X in the panda next to it. And gets shoved through another one in the new table.

There is NO discernible effect on the plant. I'll post up pics of them today in their new homes. In a few days they will all be inches taller, starting to grow through the trellis.

7. SuperMoChombo

8. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Ssshhhhweeeeeet!

9. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

I only have one t5 plus any more than that would make the room too hot. I don't usually turn on the 1kw's until sometime in October.

10. Justcheckingitout

I love the onyx you got in there SMC.

11. SuperMoChombo

Here they are at 10 days. This one is almost a perfect table. Gettin close to MrGJ perfect here :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

toshin and blazerwill420 like this.
  12. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

How many tables are in there?

13. SuperMoChombo

10 total. 6 in the middle and 4 along the walls.

blazerwill420 likes this.
  14. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

A keen edge to your chops there bro. Nice.

15. Justcheckingitout

Thats a lot of triming.

16. SuperMoChombo

We can only hope! I only pull 5 at a time. Each month I harvest half the room, and flip new plants into the vacated tables same day.

17. Justcheckingitout

I use to cut 6 plants a week and I had it down quick. I had some young chick over once (well she was 23, i was 31 at time) trying to get some puss, I brough out a big bag of all the buds I chopped before she showed up, knowing if I didnt get em trimmed it would be a bitch the next day, I told her a ftiend dropped off the buds and I got a big discount getting it wet. And i conned her into helping, dam She trimmed like 10 buds by the time i was done with the rest. I get kind of impatient when trimming and just slam thru them. Sad thing was for all those years i thew away all that trim. Then I seen this killer tumbler this guy made here...:bigok:

SuperMoChombo likes this.