Defoliation

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by Dumme, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Dumme

Dumme Member

I keep reading about it so I thought I'd make a post..

A couple of things I think are worth mentioning when growers bring up “defoliation”. No amount of nutrients will help the plant grow, unless they are first processed through the leaves. Only then, may mobile nutrients, commonly called “plant food” continue to the buds, for growth. The real name for plant food is called “photosynthate”, but for the purpose and ease of this post, let’s use the term “plant food”.

“Leaves” have two main purposes:

[​IMG]
    Image source: Dictionary.com

1st, You can thank the leaves themselves for 99% of all the uptake of water and nutrients. Plants have a very small chain of water molecules that stretch from root to leaf, within the “xylem” (the woody center part). This ionic chain phenomenon is referred to as cohesion, whereas the entire uptake, from root to leaf, is called “transpiration”. Water is basically the blood of the plant. If you cut any leaves off, you limit the plants resources of water.

[​IMG]
    2nd, Leaves make all the “plant food” that the plants use to grow, while managing waste (O2),
    through the stomata. The stomata are very small pore-like openings in the bottom of the leaf, that
    exchanges new CO2 and O2, and water evaporation. “Plant food” is made through a process called photosynthesis, with in the chloroplast. Leaves are like a big food engine, but instead of 2 fuels like a car (gas & O2), leaves have 3 fuels (CO2 & Nutrients & PAR).

So, why remove them?

I’ve never liked the term of “defoliation” as it means “to strip (a tree, bush, etc.) of leaves”, implyin all of them. I prefer to use their relative nick-names, “lollipopping”, “schwazzing” or even “pruning”, to limit confusion. These methods are not something I would promote anyone who desires larger yield, especially outside in full sun or if using auto-flowering seeds. Realistically, removing “any” healthy mature leaf will hinder growth & yield. A good rule of thumb would be to let the plant itself decide naturally what she wants to keep.

Distinguishing the different terms of training, or pruning growth is also a factor. Pruning a branch off the main stem, to manipulate growth direction, is not defoliation. Defoliation includes only leaf matter.

Growth “time span”, is also something that plays a roll. Depending on the cannabis grower’s view, any plant manipulation while in vegetation cycle may not be viewed as playing a role in final yield, while referring to defoliation. As an example, a farmer could prune half the vegetation off in veg cycle, but gives enough time for the vegetation to grow back, before entering into flower. If the factor of “time” itself is removed, the outcome of yield could be viewed differently.

[​IMG]
    Image source: ILGM (Redbudbush)

Buds, do NOT require any light. No amount of light that’s exposed to the bud ‘itself’ will help it grow any measurable amount, or yield more. It the physical features simply aren’t there for any measurable amount of photosynthesis to occur.

Understanding what the flower is, is also important. Cannabis, being an “incomplete flower” only has generally has only male or female parts, where a complete flower has both. Nowhere within the flower itself, is there any leaves. Leave form around each flower.

flower.jpg
    Image source: Illinois.edu

Where/what is this sink?

[​IMG]
    Image source: Boundless.com

“Sinks cells” are areas of new growth with low osmotic pressure. Leaves are areas of high pressure, hence why “plant food” or post-photosynthetic nutrients, flow from high pressure leaves, to low pressure sinks; commonly called “osmosis”. Sinks can be in the roots or the shoots of the plant (new growth). After the plant food has been manufactured in the leaves, it enters into the phloem, starting at an area in the leaf called “source cells”. From here, osmosis carries “plant food” to its destination and use.

Younger leaves always use more processed nutrient (plant food) than they can make through their own photosynthetic actions, and must draw from other leaves. If they are removed (in flower) the plant food that would have gone to them for maturing, would be redirected to the remaining areas of “sinks”. This works for buds too. Any buds removed, allows plant food to flow towards remaining sinks.

Finally, there’s one more thing to consider, called “relative osmotic location”. Basically, the closer the mature, healthy leaves are to the sink location, the faster the plant food arrives, and the more efficient the growth process is. Leaf location matters. It’s also worthy to note that all leaves work as a collective, with light PAR. Nothing changes ‘how’ the plant food is manufactured because of location of leaf removed.

There are two main defoliation methods that cannabis growers can choose from.

1) They can focus on upper colas by removing under developed, lower growth (leaves & buds alike). Generally speaking, this is the method that will yield the most, with very large colas on top, but you may be victim of a larf (popcorn) sized buds below. This method is often referred to as “lollipopping”.

Lollipop.JPG

2) They can focus on a more consistent size bud throughout the plant, by removing larger leaves above. This method forcing the plant to mature lower leaves evenly, thus causing “relative osmotic location” to enhance lower growth and size of the sinks directly around them. This method generally yield much less because the younger leaves are sinks as well, and compete directly with the bud’s sink strength, on the available plant food. The lower buds will ripen with a larger, consistent size, but the upper colas will suffer and yield less. This method is often referred to as “Schwazzing”.

Now for an overall recap. Nutrients use the water to hitchhike a ride, up the xylem, to the chloroplast in the leaf. The leaf processes the raw nutrient into plant food. Then, plant food, enters into the phloem, and high pressure pushes it throughout the plant to areas of low pressure and use.

As standard rules while in veg cycle go:

Any healthy, mature leaf removed “will not” effect over all yield size.

Any healthy, mature leaf removed “will” hinder overall growth speed.

As standard rules while in flower cycle go:

Any healthy, mature leaf removed “will” effect over all yield size.

Any healthy, mature leaf removed “will” hinder overall growth speed.

https://www.ilovegrowingsupplies.com/livesupport/cannabis-consult/defoliation/

***Don't pay for a picture book!***
    and for those whom choose to continue to schwazz:
    20160520_193750.jpg 20160520_191949.jpg 2016-01-08-1452290831-6030848-8.png
    2016-01-08-1452290695-5918422-62.png
    Day 1.jpg Day 20.jpg Day 20 after.jpg Harvest Day.jpg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  2. Discorilla

Discorilla Shining like a Discoball!

I've seen many grows that would contradict this article. The boss here does defoliation and he's the reason I started removing leaves.

Lvstickybud, nippie and bigbudztoo like this.
  3. Dumme

Dumme Member

All this information posted is from real science sources, not just empirical observation.

I'm not understanding what exactly you're saying is contradictable. Where did I go wrong?

4. Discorilla

It's the fact that I have seen MANY grows where yield and potency are improved indoors by defoliation. A lot of these books are outdated, and Jorge and Ed are not the ones at the forefront of the industry anymore.

Ed and Jorge both sold out a long time ago!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Lvstickybud and nippie like this.
  5. Dumme

Dumme Member

I didn't get any of my information from cannabis specific sources, rather edu's.

...and I didn't say defoliation wouldn't increase yield. Defoliation is such a generic term and used differently depending on the farmer, so it hard for me to understand exactly to what to refer.

Potency generally is genetic. Did you mean terpenoid development?

6. Discorilla

Potency is genetic to a degree. The growers can run the same exact cut, and the better growers will have better numbers (or they may have paid for the results).

The studies are still outdated, if they are saying the leaves are the only place where nutrients are broken down and made usable. The Fungus and Beneficial Bacterium in the soil, are what helps this process along.

Lvstickybud likes this.
  7. Dumme

Dumme Member

Nothing I've posted is outdated. It's realtime science used in all plants, not just cannabis.

No, I'm saying the leaf is where the raw, dissolved nutrients end up, and the leaf makes the substance that allows cell devision to occur. Plants make their own food, so your not feeding the plant nutrients. You feed the soil nutrients, and the plant uptakes what it wants to make food from it. "Plant food" is made by the leaf, and called "photosynthate". It's the "sap" of all plants.

8. Discorilla

I don't believe it's real time if they are still using the same information that they have for decades. There are plants that do not fit into their molds, and Cannabis has shown this fact many times over! It's why there are people with Ag/Sci or Hort degrees that can't grow Cannabis to save their own lives.

I believe there is much more to it, than what basic plant science has given us to work with.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Lvstickybud likes this.
  9. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

I think the majority of people here would disagree with a lot of the information posted.

And frankly ive never hears buds dont need light, hell didnt they tuck leaves in tje 70s because they thought that removing hurt the plant (plenty of logs here to disprove that).

It may be strain dependant in some ways, like topping, some love it, some hate...but the way that information is put forth in the post is not correct

Lvstickybud and Discorilla like this.
  10. nippie

Also, i will add, stress has been proven to increase quality, thats not a debatable fact.....its just a very steep learning curve so its not for beginners

11. Discorilla

I wanted to point this one out, but I didn't want to steer anyone in the wrong direction! I believe growing top-notch herb is a balance of stress and love (plus a good grow environment).

blazerwill420 and nippie like this.
  12. nippie

Exactly correct disco.

Hell half the nute lines have products that promote stress in the plabt eg think its under insect attack to increase resin producion. Some plants love to be super cropped etc but will hardly produce if left alone.

I dont mean to outright dismiss the new guy, if you have something that actually works and you know it works post away. But here we kind of like people to post what they know, have done, etc vs book information.

Problem with books is like old say...he who can does, he who cant teaches.

We have a ton of vet growers here, stick around, you may learn some new tricks

Lvstickybud likes this.
  13. Discorilla

I'll still say it to this day that the dankest weed I've ever grown was after experiencing a power outage for 6.5 days. I did what I could to simulate light and such, but those plants were convinced they were going to die... and put off massive amounts of resin because of it.

Lvstickybud likes this.
  14. Dumme

Dumme Member

If you're suggesting the world academia on botany and plant science is dwarfed in light of hippie science, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    I personally fare fine in the category of yield and potency, and I'm also on my way to for my bachelors in botany.

If you'll take a moment and re-read what I wrote, I mentioned cannabis is also a "incomplete" or "imperfect flower", meaning it doesn't contain what a full flower does. Leaves are mixed in with many flowers, but again, leaves and flowers are not the same.
    Pedals, Pistils, Stamens, Sepals, and receptacles, all parts of a flower, can not process light the same way as a leaf can.

http://www.docksidecannabis.com/basic-cannabis-anatomy-101/

15. Dumme

Dumme Member

I understand this concepts may sound unusual or wrong to many people without a formal education, but I assure you my intentions are not to unease. I did state, larger yield through "sink" manipulation is possible; this includes defoliation per se, and probably what you've been seeing in the forums logs.

16. nippie

Formal education?

Honestly have you seen the pot that members here grow? Ive yet to see what you produce.

Its the reason gk exists, we are real world gardners...we have our highly educated..im talking about you supermo...lol...and we have some that varely made it out of high school.

The thing that binds all of us is that we actually grow pot, have for many years. We learn from each, not repeat what we found on the internet or classroom becayse real world that doesnt work, kinda like every single trade there is. Tradesmen wouldnt exist, just manuals.

Another weird thing, most of the decent botony books are written by those without formal education, that on the job training from decades ago, but this is a past time that you conatantly learn things

If you read books, hempys dont work cuz you grt root rot, i can assure you thats not true, i can post pix provung its not true

Please by all means, throw up some plants and let us see works in you garden

17. Dumme

Dumme Member

Working on it now..

nippie likes this.
  18. Discorilla

You can have whatever degree you want, but people aren't going to hire you at a Cannabis garden for the degree alone. There are a lot of know-it-alls from college who pretend to know the sciences and completely fuck up whatever garden they are hired at. I would take a hippy who had the experience of growing, over some college kid with "book smarts" any day! If that Hippy happened to go to college for botany, and also know their shit about Cannabis, then they would make a lot more money!

Those hippies are probably getting photos of their work posted all over the web, and these plants are pristine!

blazerwill420, Lvstickybud and nippie like this.
  19. nippie

We had thos discussion over in politics, personally i think education is over rated, i want someone who can learn, add in their 2 cents and produce. Not tell me what a book says....thats in my profession career and growing.

Some of the guys will school you and could teach classes.

A lot of what works in one persons garden doesnt work in the next, thats why you gotta have a good head not good education in my opinion

blazerwill420 and Discorilla like this.
  20. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Me likey education. Tech school, university, it's all good. It teaches a guy to think and in many cases, like welding, a trade. I gots a degree and some letters after it, but I never use it. What I learned that was more important was thinking and how to think critically. There be the true value of any education.

Thanks for the article Dumme and welcome to GK. ;) Don't let the pointed debate put you off. We're generally pretty open with discussion pro or con any topic.

Couple questions. First is to the article itself. Considering the similar handles in the linked article and yours, I'm assuming you are the original author?

Second; If specific light to a specific bud site doesn't affect overall bud development for that site, as stated in your article, how does that account for bud sites that receive more light producing higher quality buds?

Is it the increased efficiency of photosynthate production of the immediately surrounding fan leaves? If that's the case, then the real world application is in opposition to the above statement. While the information about the flower itself is correct, real world growing requires light to bud sites.

Not a defoliator myself. Some here are. But to me, and only in my personal speculation, it would seem to be that there's a balance I don't quite understand yet. It's a balance growers have been arguing long before I ever popped a bean. Increased light penetration vs abundant food production. Over the past 15 years I've seen guys do crazy successful things growing weed on both extremes. Hence the common phrase around here..."no two gardens are the same and no two growers are the same. What works for one may not necessarily work for another. Find what works best for you, or a specific garden, then repeat it consistently."

cheers and welcome again to GK,