DIY Ebb & Flow

Discussion in 'Hydroponics 101' started by SMARMY, Dec 5, 2006.

1. SMARMY

SMARMY Cuban Bee

Tools Needed. Most of this can be found at home depot

1 Plastic Storage tub. This will be your resevoir (As you can see we stored blankets in it). I dont know how many gallons but its measurements are 24"x18"x15" tall. The reservoir should be large enough, to hold two, to three times the volume of the flood tray or table.

[​IMG]

1 Plastic storage tray 22"x16"x 7" tall. This will be your flood tray. I used this cuz it was lying around in my garage, but I would recommend a black mixing tub, found in the concrete/masonry section of home depot.

[​IMG]

Ebb& Flow Fittings . The only thing I would recommend getting from a hydro store(You can use 1/2" fittings found in the plumbing supply section of home depot, but that requires aquarium glue to keep it waterproof) Overflow fitting on the left . Once the water reaches the level of the overflow fitting it drains back to the rez preventing an overflow. The other fitting is where you pump the water through and where it drains back down once the pump turns off.
    And 1/2" rubber hose

[​IMG]

Submersible pump(70 gph) and Timer. The pump should be sized to flood the tray in 10 min. or less.

[​IMG]

Plastic ceiling tiles. They come in big 4'x4' sheets. Cut to fit in your flood tray. this is used to keep the roots off of standing water. If you find a tray that drains completely, you might not need this

[​IMG]

Power drill and drill bit. size bit according to fittings.

[​IMG]

First thing that you want to do is drill the holes for the fittings in the center of the flood tray and the resevoirs lid.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attach fittings to flood tray
    [​IMG]

Then cut holes in celing tiles where the fittings would be so you can drop it in the tray as shown.

[​IMG]

Place tray on top of lid with fittings through the holes

[​IMG]

Connect rubber hose from the drain fiiting to the sub pump.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last thing to do is to fill the rez with your nutrient solution and plug the pump into the timer. You should run the pump just long enough to flood the tray, then drain. Do not flood so high as to wet the stem , if using cubes with grorocks flood till the nutes reach the bottom of the cube but not any higher. Start flooding once every 6 hours and and work your way up to once every 2 hours. It all depends on the medium you use . Rockwool holds a lot of water so less flooding will be required as opposed to grow rocks which drain very fast . I personally like the growrocks over rockwool for this system. Have fun!
    [​IMG]