Dry Hard Buds

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by shore_island, Aug 24, 2014.

1. shore_island

shore_island Developed Alternating Nodes

i have been disconected for a while but here i come back to the best forum with the best people, well here is the issue.

I been drying buds for a while, i have never been able to dry my buds very hard and compact, i have produce buds that after trimming seem very tight and dense but after the drying process is done they are not very solid, i have seen some buds that are rock solid, i want to know how i can take my buds to that next level. i have grow super silver haze, blue dream, OG Kush and Crystal

if anyone can help me

2. Grown in Tx.

Grown in Tx. Locked and Loaded

Man, it mainly depends on the strain how tight your buds are. second, is high temps during flower will cause airy or fluffy buds. I haven't heard of drying methods causing this. A nice tight freshly trimmed bud is 75-80% water so after it dries is gonna be a little looser. I've never grown those stains so maybe someone else can help you on that aspect

3. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

If you want rock hard buds you want to grow indica strains.

Some get harder than others. Factors such as high temps during flowering cause looser and airy buds. Keep your temps in the mid 70's, during lights on, about 75 is great, keep plenty of good air circulation and you will get harder buds.

4. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

High garden temps, as mentioned, and high N in flower are the two most common reasons for light buds. How's plant health been in general?

5. snoopdog6502

snoopdog6502 Germinating

I know many people cant run 1,000 watt lights and keep the grow room cool but they help grow a tight bud if you can keep them cool. Even sativa.

Love my 1,000's they are a real workhorse.

6. shore_island

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply!

The plants health were great, huge buds

The tempeture when they were flowering was

87 to 89. I have a 12' x 8' x 7' flowering room

I have (2) 1,000 HPS and (1) industrial fan

Also my room walls are cover with mylar paper.

I have a 18,000 BTU unit for the whole room

Wich is 12' x 14' x 9'.

Any suggestion for a special rock solid bud strain?

Thanks again

Keep the good work on!

7. snoopdog6502

snoopdog6502 Germinating

My super silver haze turned out rock hard, no leaf in the bud whatsoever, cured to a dark gold with bright red hairs. I also had good luck with white Rhino grwing fat and dense, curing into a light green with bright red/orange hairs. So colorful it did not hardly look like weed.

The haze has the old school flavor I love. :) The Rhino ,,, well its rhino and a bit harsh so it makes good oil.

8. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Lower your temps and like others said, some good indicas will be hard buds. There are waaaay to many to list. Most , in the right conditions, produce rock hard buds. The Blue Dream and the OG Kush should have been rock hard. Most Kush's are.

9. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Your temps are to high at 87 to 89 degrees. You need to lower the temps first before you work for those hard buds. That's almost 10 years of experience talking. That's my advice.:bong-2:

10. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

If you are running hoods and they aren't air cooled might consider that to help get the temps down. If you don't want to opt for larger fans or a bigger AC could also supplement some CO2. Think about heat and working out. When you work out your metabolism kicks up and you produce heat. Well like wise in a sauna you can boost your metabolism by just adding heat. Well same thing with plants and they require a higher rate of carbon fixation in higher temps. Though the plants enzymes, mainly RuBisco, are capable of fixing carbon, the amount of carbon in the area isn't sufficient. Since the real biomass from a plant is from carbon, not nutrients like so many people seem to believe, when you have a higher rate of building things but not enough of those essential building blocks, aka C02, you end up with less dense or sparse buds.

So either figure out how to get more hot air out and cooler are in better to decrease temps or look into CO2 supplementation.

11. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Yeah, what those two guys said. Mr G is right, upper 80s is a bit hot. They're not comfortable and don't work well at those temps, unless, you do like Skunky said and keep plenty of CO2 in the air. Carbon is, like he said , the main building block.

I get by with 85-87 in my flower rooms because I run CO2 at 1250 ppm. Otherwise I'd have to keep it at least 10 degrees cooler and supply fresh air.

I use 600s and I have to vent the hoods, so I can't imagine having 1000s and not having problems with heat if you don't vent. That's a good sized room so pulling the heat out of the room from the source, the lights, wouldn't work the AC quite so hard.

Like the others suggested, getting the growing conditions favorable will accomplish more than searching for another strain. If you just want to grow something different, great. But that's not the solution to the heat.

Be Cool, CG

12. shore_island

Thanks

Thanks all for the advise's !!

I will try to work on my temps, i"m planning

To start my next grow in 3 weeks, i will

Post some pictures for advises.

Thanks again