DWC or RDWC questions......bring em here!?!?!!!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by CCrete, Dec 7, 2010.

1. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

2. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

huh what?

Am I mistaken what "White Shark" is? Isn't like Orca and the other microbe enhancers?

3. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

It's "Great White", sorry. I re-edited the post.

So would I use as directed with the h2o2 at 3ml per 4 liters?

Also the "Great White", use every 3-5 days as directed or once every res change will be ok?

4. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Ok I think I'm completely changing my grow style.... I'm LOVING my one DWC bucket... I'm thinking ill go all DWC... but my concern is final quality... Taste, aroma and potency. I'd hate to lose the wonderful flavors I've enjoyed growing in soil... I'm also looking to switch to LED for reduced cost and heat reduction.... So a couple questions about DWC...

1. Is there a decrease in taste (a more harsh smoke)?

2. What size/ type air pump would run 6 five gallon buckets?

5. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

I think so. I mean, so many people swear that organic soil grown weed tastes better than organic or chem hydroponic. But I also think that since flushing is SOP in dirt or hydro, and getting a TRUE flush is damn near impossible in dirt, unless you pour Niagara Falls through it, whereas in hydro getting true 100% pure water flush is as easy as a few res changes, and then you are guaranteed to be getting a total true flush, the results of properly grown and flushed hydro weed shouldn't be ALL that much worse than properly grown and flushed organic soil weed. AND you can go organic in hydro if you so desire.

6. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

I call Bullshit..

If you flush in soil, the plant is still and always will be uptaking some form of nutrient, even during a pure water flush, it still has the option and the ability to absorb something...

In hydro setups/flush you know for fact that your removing all the nutrients because you are only applying pure,clean water with zero nutrients, as long as you give a proper flush for a 10-14day period, you can be assured that your plants are as pure as they can be and free of any and all chemicals or "organic" matter

I vote HYDRO flush for being the most pure product

BTW, I don't buy into the "organic" hype...to me its a modern day phrase that has gotten beat'n into our heads via pop culture.....If its so organic, go drink your nutes and see what happenes

I DO however have some faith in our organic foods, to a point, but even that is extremely un-proveable, we just take whoevers word for it?! ya OK!

7. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

BB, I've grown in soil and in Hempy and now Ebb and Flow. The lemon berry Pheno I have is a couple years old now. I've grown her in all three medium's and found the Hempy tastes the same as the soil grow to me.

I'll let you know in another two weeks what the Lemon berry taste like in the ebb and flow. I'll make a prediction and say it wont taste any different . The Lemon berry still smells like lemon 2 years later, and taste of it. :redbong:

8. Bigbud214

Ok I have no real exp in it so just asking...

Now about my air pump question? Any suggestions....

9. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

I personally use a separate pump for each bucket or reservoir. A pump with multiple outs maybe but the buckets will have to stay close to each other restricting any repositioning. I just take a bucket lid, preferably white, and cut a 2" slot from the edge to just past the center. Then simply slide the lid under the plant and sit the pump on the lid.

I just saw you pics in the other thread. Looking good!! With those net lids, you could just sit the pump on the lid but I like the regular bucket lid like I described on top cause it has a little rim and keeps the pump from vibrating off.

Be Cool, CG

10. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

11. Bigbud214

Thanks CG... My space I'd small so repositioning isn't an issue.... 2'x4' flower cab ill just put the pump on the floor. I have 100' of air line so I can position the pump anywhere. I'd rather not run 6 seperate sir pumps... The noise and added electricity lead me to one huge air pump...

Thanks Skunky.... That pump is cheap at $23....

12. Bigbud214

Thanks CG... My space I'd small so repositioning isn't an issue.... 2'x4' flower cab ill just put the pump on the floor. I have 100' of air line so I can position the pump anywhere. I'd rather not run 6 seperate sir pumps... The noise and added electricity lead me to one huge air pump...

Thanks Skunky.... That pump is cheap at $23....

13. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

You can say that again BB :)

14. friendlyfarmer

:laughing4:

15. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

BB that's the pump I use and it will handle at least 8 5 gallon buckets with all the air needed. You'll be more than ok with it. As far as putting the pump on the floor, no. You should have your pump higher than the water level in your buckets with the air line looped down, then up to the pump. If for any reason at all that water gets into your air line it won't travel to the pump. If your pump is on the floor and water happens to get into your line it will go right in your pump and could cause an electrical issue.

edit: here's a picture of one bucket out of six with a smaller pump than was shown to you that I used for my RDWC buckets because I knew that the larger pump was over kill for this. As you can see, plenty of boil going on.

[​IMG]

16. Bigbud214

You use the flexible ring sir stone?

17. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

No it's just a ring air diffuser. It's just basically a soaker hose with a t connect.

18. Bigbud214

19. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

besides mixing the ferts on the res change, is there any need to mix the water up a few days in between the res change? I noticed that at the end of the week there is a little stuff at the bottom of the tote, looks like it might have been from the great white product I used after I put in the h2o2. I don't think I got it mixed in good the last time.

I also noticed at the end of the week, the plants sucked the nutes out of the water and it was almost clear on the last change, I take it this is a good thing.

It looks like I am getting about at least 4 times as much plant growth as I would have had with 1 clone in soil. Should be a good one, even with the delay I had with the clone being crappy. But like I said, I have some new strains up and coming to clone off of in about another week.

OH, also, so on week 5 is the week to use a bloom booster? just that week?

20. friendlyfarmer

You know it wouldn't be a half bad idea to throw the smallest pump you can find in there and plug it in, no tubing, just to stir things up. Leave it in there running and if heat becomes an issue, put it on a timer. My instinctive thought was that the bubbles you already have will agitate and mix the water enough, but you can never be too sure. I had a permanent pump in my top-off res which was just plain water. I don't think it quite rises to the level of a NEED but it can't hurt.

Dunno bout bloom boosters. Never used them.