DWC vs ENF vs Soil

Discussion in 'The Growkind Gallery' started by Domin8rix, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Domin8rix

Domin8rix Resident Evil

OK... start to finish I'm comparing deep water culture, ebb and flow and soil. So far the DWC is winning flat out although it has a day or so on the ebb and flow. The soil plants are about 5 days ahead of the others and still are waaaay behind... hydro is amazingly fast. Enough chitchat, now on with the pictures!

[​IMG]
    DWC at about a week vegging.

[​IMG]
    Ebb & flow at about 5 days... I had a problem w/ my timer too so they dried out a little too much. I expect them to bounce back no problem though.

[​IMG]
    Soil at about 12 days.

They are all vegging under floro's, I'm using the exact same concentration of BC nutes for each and they will all flower when they're ready under my 1000W hps! I'll keep this thread updated with their progress.

-------Dom

2. mrdope

mrdope The Cannabis Grower

Oh hell yeah the DWC is the winner. I got two NLxShiva on early 4 weeks in soil. They are about half the size taller then yours on the DWC. So for sure im going DWC next time around. Good test there btw.

3. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

This should be a fun thread to follow!

Thanks for putting in the time!

4. PurePlaya420

PurePlaya420 Full Flowering

Nice. Thanks for the thread this is gunna be fun to watch.

5. wawona

wawona The Trichome Connoisseur

spectacular thread Dom

this will be VERY VERY informative and i'll be watching with great anticipation. if you can keep this thread updated, at least weekly, it would be a great addition to the newly remodeled FAQ.

6. Domin8rix

Domin8rix Resident Evil

I will absolutely keep it updated at very least weekly... and also provide details of the "winning" setup as it will be the one I will be using to create a perpetual harvest, or that's the plan anyway. I got sick of spending the cash on the power of my 1kw lamp and not getting at least a gram per watt so I decided it was time to pull out all the stops and see what was the best possible system. Once I determine which grows the fastest and prodeces the best I'm going to make sure to replicate it at very least 3 more times whether it be 9 more soil pots, or 3 more DWC containers or 3 more ebb and flow setups so I can be sure to maximize the potential of my grow light. Wish me luck fellow GK'ers!

-------Dom

7. Domin8rix

Domin8rix Resident Evil

Yours must be from seed... mine are clones all from the same Mother plant so I'm assured of getting identical genetics. I forgot to mention that. If yours are clones then you've got some serious problems lol. I'm not ruling out the possibility that there will be problems with either of the hydro setups as hydro is a lot harder to keep healthy than soil; or at least has a lower margin of error anyway. I'm somewhat of a hydro noob so it's possible I might mess it up again :5headache: but I'm giving it my best shot. I'm good at growing in soil, but I am afraid that even though I get decent results I'm not using the entire potential of the wattage I have... but it might be that I just need more plants, or to veg them longer. This way I can see what setup is best for me! I'm also not ruling out the ebb and flow as I know there are plenty of growers on this site who use it to good advantage. I figure in the end this should show the beginners what system they can get maximum production out of.

-------Dom

8. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

Hey Dom, I told you DWC was the way to go :)

If you want maximum potential you need each plant in it's own 5 gallon bucket. But even the way you have it now, I'm sure the DWC will win.

I know ebb&flow systems look the coolest, but they can be a pain in the ass to maintain, especially if you need a system that can be torn down quickly and easily. I'm putting my plants in DWC buckets in a couple weeks for their 12/12 switch. I'm going to have a cage around each plant, like a vertical-circular SCROG. I haven't heard much info on this method so I'm anxious to experiment with it.

9. HappyHappyHighGuy

The best way to avoid major problems is use only as much nutes as the plants look like they need. Listen to the sweet sirens and feed accordingly. It's always best to under feed them a little than to burn them with too much nutes.

10. mrdope

Yes they are from seed. I did assume yours were too. This Friday or Saturday im gona clone the two and use the mothers to flower. Im doing it the opposite way. So instead of waiting for the clones to grow roots... ill know what sex they are by the time they do grow roots. Then use those clones to vegetate and repeat the process.

11. Domin8rix

Domin8rix Resident Evil

I'm most likely going to use the setup I have now for vegging and switch to larger individual containers for flower. I'm not sure though; I wanted to only use the materials I had laying around the house more or less and individual buckets would require me to buy additional air pumps.

I do like the idea of growing huge plants and that's the attraction of big bucket DWC grows, but I'm also looking for maximum yeild for the space which seems to be gotten from ebb and flow just because you can pack so many more plants into a small space. I will say that the DWC setup was a LOT easier to make and maintain though.

12. Domin8rix

Domin8rix Resident Evil

I have a TDS meter so I can tell exactly what they need :) and I'm following the nutrient register for hydro lined out in the hydro section as well as what the BC nutes folks recommend. Should turn out pretty well I think; especially if I change the res every week like SmarmyArmy recommends too!

13. Domin8rix

Domin8rix Resident Evil

Lots of people do that and it works pretty well. You should know what sex the plants are before you flower them though; once they reach sexual maturity (ie alternating nodes) the should show sex in a week or two of vegging. You don't want to take clones from an immature plant as you have to veg them a lot longer before you can flower them and it removes some of the efficiency of cloning. Just my .02.

14. HappyHappyHighGuy

If you get a high powered pump you can split it off to more than one bucket.

I understand using things around the house that are already paid for. That's what I did for my first grow (ebb&flow), but now that the most expensive items are paid for, I can afford to buy a few things. I've already outgrown my 400w HPS since I'm currently growing more than 4 plants. It's an ongoing expense, but considering how much free buds you get from each grow, it is money well-spent.

All my grows will have to be from seed since I have to grow them during the few months at a time when my daughter isn't visiting. I haven't figured out a way to have a stealth mother box that she won't discover. The good thing about that is that I can try new strains on a regular basis.

15. SMARMY

SMARMY Cuban Bee

You should finish them in the set up you have now because once the roots grow out you will not be able to remove the net cups and all the roots will grow into each other anyways. The root mass with DWC is ridiculous. This is just one plant. check it out

[​IMG]

16. mrdope

Yeah I know but this grow isnt a biggie to me. I just need buds as soon as possible since im out dry. They just started vegging a few days ago..almost a week now.

Okay sorry now back to your thread.:punk:

17. Domin8rix

Domin8rix Resident Evil

Holy crap! Maybe I should change them to individual buckets before they go nuts... what do you think about 2 gallon buckets? Not quite as good as 5 gallon, but I have them sitting around so it would make things easier. I'm due to change my res today anyway. I think I'll just go ahead and put them in 2 gallon buckets, it'll make things easier for me to manage anyway.

18. Domin8rix

Domin8rix Resident Evil

Well... bad news. My pump for my ebb and flow setup burned out... so I guess it's just soil vs DWC now. The difference in growth is astronomical though (I was actually there when the pump died this AM). Just look at this:

[​IMG]

DWC

[​IMG]

DWC roots

[​IMG]

Bad pic of ENF (sorry for the crappy pic...)

[​IMG]

Soil

It's nuts. I'm still planning on taking the soil and DWC to the end. I'm going to try and make enough room to make 6 more DWC buckets and transplant some of my ENF girls into DWC buckets.

-------Dom

19. SMARMY

SMARMY Cuban Bee

Depends how long you are gonna veg them. The plant in the pic I posted was 5 weeks old. At that point she was taking in like a gallon of water a day. That wouldn't work with a 2 gallon bucket cuz your ph and ppms will constantly fluctuate as the water level goes down. It will probably just be more work to maintain. I would prefer the original rez you were using.

20. Domin8rix

Domin8rix Resident Evil

Damn I already put them in 2 gal buckets... I think I'll try that for now and change it to 5 gal for my next grow.