DWC vs ENF vs Soil

Discussion in 'The Growkind Gallery' started by Domin8rix, Dec 27, 2006.

1. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

That's yet another advantage of DWC is that it uses an air pump, which are much more dependable than water pumps.

2. Domin8rix

Domin8rix Resident Evil

OOOOK, here we go with an update.

Biggest soil plant:

[​IMG]

Smallest DWC plant:

[​IMG]

Biggest DWC plant (just put into flowering chamber)

[​IMG]

Anyone have an idea as to why she's flipping her leaves? The pH is steady at 6.4... I just changed her over to 1/2 strength flowering nutes (I'm using BC nutes)... I'm just a little overprotective of my ladies I guess.

marymaryquitecntrary likes this.
  3. SMARMY

SMARMY Cuban Bee

I've never seen that b4, but your ph is on the high side . It's fine if it drifts up to 6.4 but it shouldn't stay there. Try to keep it between 5.5 and 6.2Some nutrients like calcium are locked out at 6.4

http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24577

4. Domin8rix

Domin8rix Resident Evil

Doh, I'm still in soil mode... I lowered them all to at least 6.0 so they should recover nicely :)

5. HappyHappyHighGuy

Airpumps

Hey Dom, what size airpumps and airstones are you using?

I just moved some of my plants into DWC buckets. I have a 2800 size air pump on each bucket. It doesn't produce a roaring boiling effect, but it seems to be getting moisture up into the grow medium which is what matters.

6. Domin8rix

Domin8rix Resident Evil

I have a 60 gallon dual exit pump. I split it between 6 buckets... seems to work pretty well. We'll see what happens with this grow and if I need more air I'll look into aquiring another pump or two.

7. Domin8rix

Domin8rix Resident Evil

OK, here's a quick update.

[​IMG]

The soil plants are finally starting to take off, but the dwc is REALLY going crazy.

[​IMG]

And the ones in flower are looking very good; although I have a slight leaf problem that's worrying me a bit. Hopefully it's a deficency that fixing my pH will take care of.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any ideas? I'm gonna go check in the plant abuse section too in just a couple minutes.

[​IMG]

8. Domin8rix

Domin8rix Resident Evil

Update...

Garden shot; little budlets are starting to form on the biggest hydro ladies.

[​IMG]

I can't believe how much bushier the hydro girls are... it's amazing.

[​IMG]

Soil plant in flower now too.

[​IMG]

Overexposed pic of a hydro girl.

[​IMG]

Side by side comparison... there is no comparison!

9. HappyHappyHighGuy

Looking good. How many weeks into flowering are they?

10. Domin8rix

Domin8rix Resident Evil

They are almost 2 weeks into the flowering cycle.

11. Domin8rix

Domin8rix Resident Evil

Another update... these girls have EXPLODED with their most recent res change.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm afraid I don't have enough space for them all... but oh well, I'll just let them duke it out for light. The soil plants are loosing pretty badly though lol.

[​IMG]

Looking so spindly in comparison to the hydro

[​IMG]

Look at that stem! It's bigger than my finger... hydro is freeking crazy. I wish I'd switched before.

[​IMG]

My smallest hydro girl's roots

[​IMG]

Ooooo, I can't wait!

[​IMG]

:love4: I'm soooo excited! Yay my ladies are doing awesome! :angel8: I may switch to 5 gallon buckets for my next grow though; I need to add water every other day and I'm sure that'll change to every day once they really start putting density on the buds... maybe even morning and night.

Needless to say I believe that Hydro kicks the everloving hell out of soil... it's way faster and the plants are way healthier. Hydro is higher maintainence though; but the results are totally worth the extra work.

12. marymaryquitecntrary

marymaryquitecntrary Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

13. Mermaid

Mermaid ~Sea Of Green~

SWEET Dom>>congrats on the pretty ladies. :beerchug:

14. Mr Douglas

Mr Douglas still stoned again still

shhhh......Pro at work.

Kick-ass garden you have there, Dom!! :notworthy:

I love these hands-on tutorial pictorials..<---(say that 5 times fast)....and this soil/hydro comparison sways me to wanna go hydro!

oneday perhaps..... :ponder:

Keep up the great work!!

15. Domin8rix

Domin8rix Resident Evil

Mary... Yeah you did, I should have listened to you in the first place!

Thanks Jersey, I'm soooo excited to see what they can do in this space. I think I may have to change how my lamp hangs as they are in danger of growing too close to it. Yikes! Maybe a parabolic vertical reflector? We'll see what happens :)

Mr. D, it's super easy and you'll never want to grow in soil ever again. You can get started with less than $70.00 in supplies.

buckets - $2.50 w/ lids or sometimes you can get 5 gallon ones free from resturants.

airstones - 4/$1.00 at a pet store

air pump - $30.00 for a good one that can bubble up to 4 plants

tubing - $2.00 for 25'

"t" fittings $.05 each

pH meter on Ebay -$15-20

Most nutes are hydro/soil compatible so you'd probably be able to use whatever you have. If you scan the classifieds you might even be able to find some aquarium equipment for dirt cheap used too. Ya never know... I figured I wasn't getting the yeild out of my 1000w lamp so if I couldn't get more yeild I was going to get a smaller lamp to conserve electricity. I'm shooting for 1g/watt; we'll see if I can pull it off.

16. Domin8rix

Domin8rix Resident Evil

[​IMG]

Crazy growth in just 4 days. They are really taking off.

[​IMG]

They have almost doubled the size of the bud growth in 4 days... I think I'm in love :love4:

17. HappyHappyHighGuy

Strain?

Hey Dom, did you ever say what strain you are growing?

18. Domin8rix

Domin8rix Resident Evil

It's Cinderella99. Not a super heavy yeilding plant but I love the flavor, smell and high. For me it starts in the head and slowly trickles down to the extremities... slightly trippy without any paranoia and only a slight case of the munchies. :angel8:

I may sprout a couple of AK-47 seeds I have hanging around just for variety and I think I still have some White Rhino too. We'll see... just depends on if I feel like going through that process again. I already have 6 more C99 clones ready to go in to the flowering chamber :eusa_shifty: I guess I sorta overpopulated my grow space lol.

19. blowstrees

blowstrees *BLowin O's and Ounces*

cindy is a great strain. looking good buddy. can't wait to see how it turns out... great thread btw..

20. HappyHappyHighGuy

Lst

You should try LST or SCROG on your next grow to maximize your growspace.