Finding Males Early

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by Got_Kush?, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Got_Kush?

Got_Kush? Veggy Stage

Ive Read Somwhere A While Back That Durring The First Few Weeks Of Veg.....Usually Second Or Third Week.....If You Cut The Light Back To 12/12 That Only The Males Will Respond By Showing Pollen Sacks......Then The Males Can Be Removed And The Feemales Can Be Put Back Under 18/6 To Futher Revegeate.....Anyone Ever Tried This?......Im In The Second Week And Am Strongley Consedering It......It Would Save A Lot Of Time And Supplies If I Could Get Rid Of The Males Now......Any Help Would Be Greatly Appriceated

2. Mr. Wakenbake

Mr. Wakenbake Latae Sententiae Excommunication

i will tell you that my experience i found my males first within like 7 days.the females took 12 days to show.under hps and flo's.but don't bet the bank on it sometimes the females will show really early. try it and experiment a little . let me know what you get.

3. Got_Kush?

Got_Kush? Veggy Stage

Thanks For The Responce Althouth I Ment Durring The Veg Period......My Plants Are Only 2 Weeks Old And Around 4-6 In High......I Was Wondering If The Males Would Respond To The 12/12 And Not The Females......Is This Possible? Or Do Males And Females Matchure About The Same Age.....Thanks Again

4. greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny Excommunicated

Kush, thats the way that I would do it, if I was starting from seed. As soon as you cut the light to 12/12, about a week later you will see signs of sex. Then just put the light back to 18/6 once you determined sex to reveg. Both plant sex will respond:)

5. Got_Kush?

Got_Kush? Veggy Stage

Do You Think The Plants Will Respond If I Put Them Under 12/12 Rite Now? There 2 Weeks 4-6 In High Or Should I Give Things About Another Week? Thanks For The Help.....BTW Nice Crop.....Wish I Had Room For Somthing Like That......How Much Have You Been Spending On Electricity? Anyway Thanks And Take Care......Wish You Good Luck With Your Havest!!!

6. greenthumbdanny

A little more veg time wouldn't hurt. Got a few alternating nodes going? Or better how about a picture..

7. Got_Kush?

Got_Kush? Veggy Stage

Cant Get Any Pics Up......Just Took A Few With A Webcam But Cant Figure Out How To Get Them Posted.......Plants Havent Shown Any Signes Of Alternating Nodes.......They Still Only Have An Average of 3-4 Sets Of Leaves On Them

8. DroDro

DroDro Veggy Stage

hey GTD i would like to do the same if it would be easier cause i would hate to clone off of 8 plants and have figure what came from what and so on i would rather do it all @ once

9. Mr. Wakenbake

i usually wait until about 10 inches tall to flip the lights.this grow i flipped at a month old. i ended up with 3 foot tall plants.and yes it is possible to find the sex then reveg,it won't hurt the plants.

10. Got_Kush?

Got_Kush? Veggy Stage

Sounds Good.....Plants Are Growing Roots Out The Bottem Of The 4'' Pots I Was Hoping To Distinguish Sex Before Repoting......Should I Try This Or Just Repot Then Cut The Light Back To 12/12 To Determin Sex?

11. greenthumbdanny

Kush if you have a couple or more nodes induce flowering 5-7 days later weed out the males. Put the light back to 18/6 and get some good growth going before you flower the ladies..Just my thought. :)

12. mbwiseguy

mbwiseguy Begun Flowering

after 2+ years of growing i have NEVER had a male, nor have i EVER seen one in person. with my luck in mind, i don't stress the plants by changing cycles. if you have room for all your plants, then keep em and just find out when you do the real flower. otherwise you are extending it's cycle by 2 or more weeks. switching the light to 12/12 is enough stress on the plant as it is, none the less going back and forth.

imo, the best way to do it is to cover one branch, or the end of one, and see if that flowers.

13. Klozitdaddy

Klozitdaddy New Sprout

i would repot first

14. SFC

SFC Latae Sententiae Excommunication

You should have preflowers by the 4th,or 5th week of vegging. Just keep checking the upper nodes on the main stem every day starting in week 4 of 18/6. They will show , just be patience. Do not go 12/12,and then back to 18/6. All you will do is strees the plant,and waste alot of time. Be patient.

15. Got_Kush?

Got_Kush? Veggy Stage

Thanks For The Info......I Think Im Just Gonna Repot And Keep Veging For A Lil While.......I Have Some 3rd And 2nd Gen Strans And 4 Tastey Kush Plants......I Was Gonna Clone But I Ended Up Getting A Huge 120 Plant Clone Machine And Don't Have Room For It At The New Place.......So Im Gonna Have To Use The Pollen I Get For The Next Generation Seeds. Thanks For The Help Guys

16. Mr. Wakenbake

go ahead and repot, it's easy to snatch a plant from a pot .any root binding will cause stunted growth

17. i read that if u change the light cycle from 24/0 or 16/8 (what ever you veg. with) to 12/12 then back to veg. it can stress the plant and have a greater chance of getting hermies. it said to wait to get a cutting and put that on 12/12 to determine the sex instead. dunno if anyone knows anymore about this but just somthing i read.

18. Mr. Wakenbake

i haven't gotten a hermie yet,maybe luck but i will say that "if" istress my plants by switching the light schedule i can't tell.....except for minor stretch between the nodes .

19. greenthumbdanny

MB,SFC

Many ways to skin a cat:) Never in my experience have I seen the result of stress on a plant from determining sex. By flipping the light from 18/6 to 12/12 and then back is very common. I can not find any proof, even by my own trial and error have never seen any signs of stress, nor my male to female ratio.. But then again I clone clone clone ..DIG IT

20. SFC

SFC Latae Sententiae Excommunication

I would suspect the main reason we don't know more about it is the that we all know it will stress the plant to some degree. How much is likely dependant on th estrain, or other environmental factors. Like I have previously stated, once they start alternateing give it a few days ,or a week,and you will have pre-flowers,an d then the answer will be evident. Switching to 12/12,and back again, would have been a waste of time. IMO.