Fire pit

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by Herb, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

My wife and I are fortunate enough to live on a creek and really wanted to have the ability to enjoy a nice campfire now and again while listening to the water roll on by, so I got my ass to work and built us a fire pit yesterday. The rocks were harvested from a quarry just 15 minutes down the road from our house. We rolled over a few ideas of how to build one, and even thought about getting a metal fire pit, but settled on the more natural look. This style just fits our house better. I got a fire going just before the sun set and texted my wife telling her to come on down and join me when she got home from work. She was so excited she didn't even have her usual coffee and cigarette when she got home...just changed into her sweats, got a glass of wine, and joined me down by the campfire for some bowls and relaxation. :animbong:

First Campfire 04 26 18 008.jpg

First Campfire 04 26 18 006.jpg

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  2. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

That's a sweet set up. Prob nice to kick back and relax.

3. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

nice pit Herb the wife and I enjoy sitting around our pit now you need a pile of wood-Bud 1504457589139.jpg

4. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

LOL.....I dropped 10 Ponderosa pines on our property and have another 5 more to drop. I have wood coming out of my ears!

Wood Pile 001.jpg

Wood Pile 003.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Justcheckingitout and HeadCase like this.
  5. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Here's some more that I still need to buck up and split. I've already given away a couple cords to my parents and some friends.

Downed Trees 2.jpg

HeadCase and bigbudztoo like this.
  6. bigbudztoo

bigbudztoo growin the good stuff

I like your place. We use about 10 cords a year up here. Got a big red fir dropped since last Spring that i need to split and two down from snow and ice this winter.

Herb likes this.
  7. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

Nice to see folks living the good life!

Herb likes this.
  8. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Life is as good as you want to make it. After we dropped the trees this was the mess I had to deal with. I'm getting there....slowly but surely.

new house pics 007.jpg

new house pics 011.jpg

9. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

Luggy dawg Smilies Drinking

10. bigbudztoo

bigbudztoo growin the good stuff

What are you moving those with ? Are you just bucking them into rounds and grabbing them ? Winch ?

11. Green Goblin

I need a piece of that to sink into the ground for a chopping block

12. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Pretty much cutting them into rounds, yes. I moved a bunch of the rounds with a small trailer I have, but most likely going to split up the rest where they sit and load the split wood into the trailer to be moved to my wood shed.

bigbudztoo likes this.
  13. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

This is what it looks like currently after hours of cutting and 3 burn piles later. This is our backyard so I want it to look nice and be usable. Before it was anything but usable. It's still a work in progress but I'm getting there. o_O

Fire Pit 04 28 18 001.jpg

bigbudztoo likes this.
  14. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

15. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Damn....you found it! That was a long long LONG time ago. I have a small vial of kief that I need to make a ball out of...matter of fact. Making cannabis Oil

16. Green Goblin

Dang, this brings back memories of my days on our own homestead...I used a block and tackle on a tripod, and a hi lift jack :pimp:

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

17. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Right on Goblin! It can be tricky getting those big logs up off the ground to cut so as not to run your saw into the dirt. I got pretty creative myself and even thought about using my highlift. Fortunately I was able to use a digging bar and a small cut log to lift the bigger logs off the ground. Wasn't easy doing it by myself but I figured out a way. When you work alone....you have to solve those problems one way or another. I put in another day of cutting and finally opened up a path to get into the last area that was locked in by logs. All downhill from here! :beerchug:

FirePit Wood 05 03 18 015.jpg

FirePit Wood 05 03 18 025.jpg

FirePit Wood 05 03 18 007.jpg

These are pretty much all I have left to cut up now. I'll be glad to have it all cut up so I can focus more on to other projects. Oh wait...I'm going to drop 5 more trees soon.....silly me. The work never ends!

FirePit Wood 05 03 18 011.jpg

18. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Had to throw this one in....my boy is such a ham!

FirePit Wood 05 03 18 014.jpg

blazerwill420 and bigbudztoo like this.
  19. mytwhyt

mytwhyt Established Healthy Roots

surprised how much your dog looks like my dog, could be litter mates IMG_2587.JPG sally.JPG ...

20. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Right on. Nice lookin' pup. BTW...is that a first gen. toyota pickup ya have there?