Germinating - Rockwool, Soil, Paper Towel....? Let's talk.

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by WiZaRD, Nov 2, 2017.

1. WiZaRD

WiZaRD Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Ok guys, it's been a long time now since I actively grew. And, as there is alot I remember, there is alot I do not. And some stuff, I never really questioned because it worked for me and I wasn't concerned about any other possibilities. Well, this time is different. I won't get into all the reasons why.

I will be growing soil, Fox Farms at that, with all the plants that I'm starting from seed. When I get to my clones, things will be different. So, is there a difference in success rate of getting seesd germinated and rooted using say rockwool cubes over just old fashioned paper towels?

2. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

I find the paper towel method works best for me for 2 reasons,

1- if a seed doesn't pop, you know it...if it's in soil or rock wool all you can do is wait and hope..

2- I can orient the seedling in what ever medium I plant it in. I like knowing a seedling is upright.

Ive not heard of increased success rate with any method o seed germination,

Happy growin' :pimp:

3. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

I put in a cup of water, next day push down seed till it sinks, come back two days later and 1/4 inch tail is out, plant and off to the races, easier than forgeting to keep paper towl wet.

4. mrdope

mrdope The Cannabis Grower

Wow, and the tap root is submerged in water or floating, two days later? It would make sense that it can't drown since there is no light on. No photosynthesis.

5. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

I'll keep mine in a cup of room temp water for a couple days. Once they've taken on some water I'll put them into paper towels. I believe the soak really helps them get kick started. Gook luck!!
    Be Cool, CG

6. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Yeah, its kind of a preference. I never had issues putting seeds in cups of water. (Unless they are super old or not stored well then they may not crack) they have to stay in the dark to sprout... Afyer a day in the cup floating if they are not sunk to bottom, just push them down under and they will sink, then a day or two later you will start seeing sprouts. The towl method works just as well/better for some, I have done both, only thing with paper towl is keeping it moist. Sometime you may forget to wet the towl snd then goes your seeds.

mrdope likes this.