Grow Cabnets

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by Justcheckingitout, May 22, 2018.

1. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Smokey and I are two peas in a pod when it comes to being tidy it seems, but he is more 'scientific' in his approach as I am more 'earthy' in mine. I have to scratch my head at those that grow without compost or even soil for that matter. Hats off to you all that can do the whole PH stabilization, ppm's, etc etc etc. WAY too much shit for me to worry about and deal with. I just don't have the patience for that. Me...I like it simple as dirt.

I look forward to seeing what you put together Check. I'm sure it will work itself out given enough time and effort.

2. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

i do all my hempy and dwc with out a ph meter, with useless gh3 formula it most always comes out good. Hempy is easy and simple, just water and chop.
    :stoned-smiley:

Herb likes this.
  3. Justcheckingitout

Oh and I found these. (Pics below) I was just getting ideas, i am going to buy used somewhere, i think i am going to do one cab for flower and a smaller one for veg and clones. This way its no prob with light leaks on the flower one and I can keep someother things like nutes and stuff in the smaller one also.
    I am just wondering if I should go with 72" high or taller for flower. I am going to run short/med tall plants and am not sure if I will need any extra hight for any reason? Screenshot_20180524-220900_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20180524-220959_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20180524-221347_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  4. Justcheckingitout

Do you think I should stay with the 6ft hight or do you see any reason for me to get a taller one? Also width. I am thinking 2'×4 or 5' wide. I need to see one up close to check it out. I am pretty set on getting two cabs. One for flower and a smaller one for veg/clones.

5. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

JCIO, the growing area in my flowering cab in 70" tall. Even when scrogging, as the light goes up during the stretch, I get real nervous as I start to run out of room. It's not too big of a problem with a familiar pheno as the stretch can be planned for. But new ones can catch you by surprise. This last one sure did.

The extra distance that LEDs seem to require would suggest taller is better. I'd love to have just one more foot. Even if I never used it, it's there just in case.

I'd like to make a veg cabinet that's just big enough to fit the plants that would fit into the flower cab. Perhaps 3.5' tall. I've been using a tent that I put up for about 3 weeks each cycle and then take down until next time. I'm getting good at indoor camping... ;-)

I'm a Useless 3-part user too, but I use the meter every time. I guess I'm still learning. One thing that I found real helpful was using a spreadsheet program to get my nute levels where I wanted them, while maintaining the proper Useless ratios. I've gotten lots pickier lately about having the numbers right and it has improved my growing and the taste of the bud tremendously.

6. Justcheckingitout

Yeah i was thinking same thing about the hight.

7. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

That is why I like dirt right there. That method is too much science for me....I'm a simple man. I guess I follow the Greenthumb420 model myself. He taught that if you give the plants everything they need in the soil there is no need to feed. Problem with that in my indoor setup is that the pots are not big enough to allow for the full growth cycles of MJ plants from start to finish. They just grow so damn fast that it depletes the available nutrients in the soil before it can be replenished. Not that the nutrient potential isn't still there...they just aren't readily available to the plant at the time. There is a process to the natural breakdown of soil into usable nutrients that takes time. In my outdoor garden where I grow my veggies in 25 gallon containers it works like a dream. My new outdoor garden will have 10 gallon pots for the MJ and I plan on using a compost tea to feed with. Talk about taste.....best tasting MJ I ever smoked was compost grown. Just goes to show that there is always more than one way to skin a cat. You guys rock with your science though...wish I had the patience.

8. Justcheckingitout

Just curious what type of electrical set up Herb and old smokey, you guys were using in your boxes?

9. OldSmokey

JCIO, my setup is based around an Intermatic digital pool timer. It's got 3 outputs. I use one of the outputs for the light and another for feeding. Three times a day, the pool timer turns the "feed" output on for 2 minutes. This powers up another programmable timer that sets the duration of the feeding, about 60 seconds in mid-flower and maybe 20 seconds in veg.

For drainage, the cabinet has 2 independent pump systems that pump out the sump where the water collects. When the sump water level gets too high, the pumps suck it up and pump it to the drain under the sink in the bathroom. This works real well during flushing. As long as I only do one bucket at a time, the system can drain all the water that I can flow through a bucket. Generally, only one pump is needed, but I've had both pumps going at the same time. Electrically speaking, the thing that makes this work automatically is a liquid level controller that senses the presence of water in the sump. It turns on a relay that runs the pump until the water is gone. So far this has worked really well.

Justcheckingitout likes this.
  10. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Mine is quite simple.....I run my fan constantly and use a fan speed adjuster to regulate the CFM flow. The speed adjuster just plugs into a regular 120v receptacle and the fan plugs into the adjuster. I run the fan constantly (at any given speed based on temps) in order to pull the air through the carbon scrubber to eliminate odors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TFTITS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My light is run on a simple rotary timer.....the type you would use for lights in your house when you go on vacation.

Here's the kit I bought...came with the timer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076RDRUK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Justcheckingitout likes this.
  11. Justcheckingitout

Def cool set ups you guys got/had. I also was trying to get a idea if I should run direct cords to light and fan straight to plug on wall or use a strip, I know the one strips are rated 15 amps. I may go GFI. Just in case. The lights and exhaust fan are my two biggest amp pullers. I feel better with the cob lights than the hps. When I first started many years ago, my mag ballast plug melted and from then, shit scared me.

12. OldSmokey

If your fan and light are close enough to the outlet to plug in directly, directly is usually better. If you use a strip, just be sure it can handle it on the plug end, as well as the outlet it's plugged into. Everything plugged into the strip has to feed through this.

My biggest electrical draws are the AC, which is hardwired and the dehumidifier, which has its own outlet... The cabinet pulls less than the dehumidifier when its compressor is running.

13. Justcheckingitout

I am going to run my air intake tapped into the laundry room ac vent in the celing. It seems to be a great stealth idea...it will suck in 78* air from inside, I will take pics, maybe do a DIY garage box thing, will be a cool addition to the GK site. I hope it's a good idea, I cant wait to get this together. Plus I got a guy who is on that show house flippers (cant say which one) in orlando to help me. Hes a pro for sure. I told him I want 2 storage cabs in garage. I mainly need help for the locking doors. I suck at building stuff. But I can cut the holes for intake/exhaust after its built.

Herb likes this.
  14. Justcheckingitout

Ok got a question I need a opinion....just some different ideas, I am stoned so bare with me...
    For the air intake cold air and exaust hot air...remember this will be sealed box/cabs.

1. Just have one online fan blowing exhaust out of box using pressure to pull fresh air from intake cold fresh air??

2. Or...Use inline fan to suck in cold fresh air and using air pressure to push hot exhaust air out exhaust duct?

Did that make sence...it would be one can fan either sucking in cold air or blowing out hot air and using air pressure for intake or exhaust.

Or just do it with two fans and control the speeds to needs?

15. OldSmokey

Seems like most folks have an exhaust fan to keep the cabinet below atmospheric pressure. That way the stink doesn't leak out.

Wait, what? Sealed? Splain...

16. Justcheckingitout

Sealed where no hot air from the garage gets in or cool air leaks out. A sealed grow cab deal.

17. Justcheckingitout

My thinking was if I used a exaust fan only, it would suck hot stinky air out (well I would add a ozone in exaust) and the suck pressure would drag in the fresh air from the intake duct. Kinda like a constant air flow since the cab would be sealed except for the intake and outtake ducts.

18. OldSmokey

So the other ends of the intake and exhaust ducts go outdoors? I'm wondering where the cold air comes from.

19. Justcheckingitout

The cold air intake comes from the house air. 78* constant temp.

20. OldSmokey

Will you exhaust back into the house?