Guess Who's Coming Back?

Discussion in 'Grow Log Forum' started by SirStynkalot, Aug 21, 2013.

1. SirStynkalot

SirStynkalot A Fat Sticky Bud

Hi GK! Long time no see!

It's been what, two years since I stopped growing? Three? Pity pity.

Anyway, I really miss it and am in a different town, and my girlfriend finally gave the okay for me to go get my card back and start growing again so long as I did a micro cab and kept it as quiet and odor free as possible.

Also, this time I've done my friend circle right and am not likely to run into the same problems I did last time. More importantly, this is the only place that's going to know about it.

So, like I said, this time I'm shooting for a micro cab. My max available dimensions are 21" deep, 60" wide, and 36" high. I'm working with a 15 plant count max (not good for micros, I know I know...) and probably about a max pull of about 400 watts total.

For nutes I'm going to use RR's blend but modify it. I want to run a perpetual harvest and that's just not going to be doable if I have to mix up a jillion different nute batches every day. I managed to come by some Azomite earlier this year and remembered that Gratitude had BEASTLY results back in the day and that was one of the things he swore by. Any suggestions on the ratios for the modification?

Handwatering that many small pots would be a pain so I've decided to spring for Blumats and hook them up to a fairly large res. Never done a wick system before so I'm going to have to put a lot of research into this. I can't really afford to not get it right the first time on a personal-only project like this.

Also, this is going to probably start out as a cab construction thread. I'm making the cabinet and moving it in around labor day, but will have to wait for my next paycheck to actually get my card and some seeds. I'm definitely going to get some Dutch Passion Euforia (my old favorite strain) but will probably also pick up a couple of whatever seems worth testing as well.

2. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

:-welcome-: Back Stynk! Good to see ya! Glad to hear that you're past you're old troubles and getting back into the game. Sounds like a tight squeeze on space. Micro is the right term for a 3" vertical height limit. The wick system with a mat should save you some height. So it'll be a drip or a flood and drain? What strain/s? Man I haven't hear Grat's name come up in a while. Cool to have an old member coming back. So many names and people come and go. I often wonder about certain members that have fallen off the map. TheCarpenter recently made a post. I meant to give him some shit for not dropping by more often. Good to have you back looking forward to seeing the cabinet buildout and subsequent grow. :thumbsup: :passsit:

3. SirStynkalot

Thanks! I'm happy to be back. Can't wait to show you all what I have planned.

I'm going to have to get around that height problem by running a small bulb vertically. I'm currently debating on the wattage - the flower cab should only be about 18"x21"x30", so I'm probably going to have to go with a bare bulb 150 watter. I'd prefer to have a 250 in a cooltube but both heat and bleaching might be a problem with the bulb finishing 4" from the plants. Doubt I'll have that problem with a 150 - I've used them before and they're really not that strong or intense.

Does anyone have enough experience with this sort of thing to know if I can pull off a 250?

The blumats are basically remote wick systems. It's kinda cool - it uses a porous ceramic material to regulate how much water comes out based on the water content of the surrounding dirt. If I go all organic and use these wicks, that means I can just have a single res for my entire grow and the only mandatory maintenance for the grow will basically consist of taking it to the tub to fill it back up once a week. No drain = sweet and simple.

I'm probably going to be doing a perpetual VSCROG. It should be nicer with the small harvests to have something coming in all the time. Planning on having 8 plant spots in the flower room - Put one in and take one out every 8-9 days.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2013
  4. Discorilla

Discorilla Shining like a Discoball!

Good to have you back to doing what you love!

5. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

:passsit:

cool. Fun building out ain't it?

6. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Zippity do dah day...dayyyum. Look what the cat dragged in. How ya been Stynk?

7. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

8. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

hi...growing is worse than crack I swear. i quit for a minute and couldn't stay away, how you made it a couple years is amazing..congrats

9. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I hear that. I took a six month break to deal with some things and I ran out of ganja. It was horrible. As soon as I started growing again I was immediately addictyed again. I was out of ganja and relying on friends for some smoke. I was able to get through it because of the love of growing the plant. I had to have new strains and more seeds and new clones and playing with Organic Teas. Oh man I never get tired of this plant. :passsit:

10. SirStynkalot

How are the teas working for you?

I looked hard at those, but if you look into the scholarly research on them it seems like anaerobic teas are potentially marginally helpful for pest control and aerobic teas are often actively harmful. I'm sure it'd help some with nutrient uptake too, but I decided I'd rather just top dress and water the stuff in. Always open to reconsider though, especially when I'm getting it dialed in and will need to have nutes available fast.

11. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I'm loving my Teas. I'm brewing Actively Aerated Microbial Rich Nutrient Tea.

What I'm doing is into 5 gal. of R/O water pH adjusted up to about 10 (cuz after brewing it will drop considerably) I add:

2 C. Worm Castings

1/2 C. Either High P 1-10-1 or High N 10-1-1 Bat guano depending on whether it's for veg or flower

1/2 C. Sea Bird Guano 12-11-2

5 Tbsp Un-sulphured Organic Molasses

5 Tbsp Growers Secret Thicken Liquid Kelp

4 Tbsp General Organics Diamond Black Liquid Humic Acids

I use a decent 2 output air pump with an air flow control knob and 2 large cylindrical air stones. I brew it for 24 hours and then I dilute it 1:1 with plain R/O water and give it to the plants. They seem to love it. Lots and lots of beneficial microbes and plenty of gentle organic nutrients. No issues with burn and very healthy robust plants. It seems to boost their vigor. Stronger stems, thicker leaves. All around happy. :passsit:

12. SirStynkalot

We need to talk :)

I'm totally going organic and I don't know enough about it yet I don't think. I've got a soil mix and a set of directions (and I've certainly done my homework) but I don't really understand enough of the theory behind it or how well it works in comparison to my old regimen of closely monitored instantly available synthetic nutes and metabolic boosters. Between that and my switch to vert lighting, when it comes to dialing stuff in and eliminating the most limiting factors I'm going to be totally shooting in the dark for the first couple crops until I learn more.

As for the light, I'm set on ordering a 150w HPS. The effective penetration's about 12 inches as far as I can tell, which is greater than the space I'll actually have by a good margin. There's no reason for more power since I can't boost CO2 to handle the extreme light conditions. If it turns out I can effectively stretch plants outside of the 150's direct light range then I'll probably add another 70 or 150 to increase vertical coverage.

This is what happens when you obsess about growing pot for a couple years but can't actually get your fingers dirty I guess...

Also, as an aside, I recently convinced another friend of mine to try out vert lighting. He's using 2400 watts in roughly a 5'x10' space, doing two double stacks bare bulb. I taught him almost everything I know, and he was getting about the same yields I was (0.756 gpw last crop) running horizontally oriented lights. Once he crops out, I'll let everyone know what his improvement was - keep in mind, lighting is one of only two things he is changing. Same nutes, about the same veg time, same amount of light, equipment, and space. The only other new thing is the strains, which will probably be lower yielders than the Blue Dream he was running before (then again, what isn't? Blue Dream's the heaviest yielder I've ever seen). Might motivate others to make the switch :D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2013
  13. Discorilla

I have 2 Sativa Dominant Blue Dreams I am wanting to flower soon. That shit is fire!

14. Bje4201

Bje4201 Vegetating

Hello sirstynkalot, ive seen some of your threads, Good stuff. I have a cab im finishing up and its roughly the dimensions you're talking about. Im using my 150 watt light in it and think it will be adequate.

http:// forum.growkind.com/showthread.php?t=46288&page=5

15. SirStynkalot

16. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Hey SS, nice to have you back man! :redbong:

17. SirStynkalot

Oh, and thanks again for the warm welcome everyone.

And thanks twice for the seed bank recommendation Disco - I gots to get me that Euforia back. Best strain I've ever grown and a bit naturally squattier than a lot of the other commercial varieties I've seen around.

18. Discorilla

No prob, Stynk!

I love the Attitude! The freebies are really nice, too! I would be ordering from them again, if it weren't for me going to the cup. I am going to try and pick up a clone of the next up and coming sativa/sat dom hybrid. That, and seeds from the booths! Let me know when you have your dream pheno of Euforia. We should cross that bitch with something!

19. SirStynkalot

Oh I'm totally down. The Euforia line is pretty stable so it shouldn't be hard to find you a good cut :D

Figured out I'm going to end up needing 4 moms in the end. I did the math on my veg room wrong. I just tried to order the seeds but I'm getting the feeling it was a hack site - they didn't have a service on their site to take down my payment details...

In any case, I'm sold. This is what I want. Now to just find all of em...

In order of descending Indica-ness:

Wild Thailand

Euforia (DP)

Jorge's Diamonds #1 (DP)

Great White Shark (GHS)

I want to make sure I get a good mix - a 100% sativa, a 100% indica, and a 75-25 either way. Not usually a huge fan of the 50 50s for some reason. They usually just seem stony but not particularly special to me.

I also have ALWAYS wanted to try out some legit Thai weeds but could never justify using so much space in my room on something that wasn't valuable when I was trying to cash out. Had a chance to go for the Columbian Gold too but didn't take it up.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2013
  20. Discorilla

What site was this? Attitude?