Hempy questions

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by Justcheckingitout, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Ok, a new adventure awaits me with hempy, (Before I get "There are threads on this", in the DIY hempy bucket thread I get "You are not authorized to view this info" bla bla. and when I do a search questions I have I don't see.....I see a few people here using hempy and I want to try to use it for veg now with clones. So I will start with using the solo cups and then go with the 3 gallon pots like I seen Mr. G using. (OH those yummy Mr. G hempy buds!) So with the solo cup's, I figured I would use straight perlight since I can rinse it and re use it, is this a good Ideal so far? I see I would make a hole about 2 inches above the bottom of the cup for drainage, I guess I top feed for a while till roots hit the bottom, then if say to fill the bottom up with water/nutes to the hole is say a 1/2 pint, is that all I will be watering from then on out? Or do I want to flood and drain off?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2016
  2. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

I'm certainly no expert, but i've been playing the Hempy game for about 4 years. I use 1 quart polypropylene cups for my little plants and short term (3-4 months) bonsai moms. When they're tiny, they like being watered three times a day until the roots hit the res, which takes about a week. I always give them a bit extra nute water as it doesn't seem to hurt anything. When the plants are larger, I water them twice a day. I've tried watering once a day, but the plants don't seem as happy with that.

Rinsing and re-using perlite works ok, though I seem guaranteed to get green algae on the top on the perlite if I do that. Don't try to sterilize perlite with bleach like I did. Too hard to get the chlorine out. When I transplant, I just transfer the small pot's perlite into the larger bucket along with the plant. There is no transplant shock with Hempy, if it's done carefully.

I use a 5 gallon bucket with about a hundred 1/4" holes in the bottom for perlite rinsing. Works great. Speaking of holes, I use 5/16" holes in the side of my 5 gallon Hempy buckets, 3 in a horizontal line, close enough together to be able to cover all the holes with one finger if necessary. I've run these outdoors, but they really need watering 3X a day from mid flower on. It gets tedious.

In my indoor cabinet, I use 2.75 gallon waste baskets with drain fittings that I cobbled together to allow me to attach an L to the side of the bucket. I am seriously considering using larger buckets in the cabinet next time.

For the 1 quart cups, I melt a hole through with a cig, about 1 3/8" from the center of the hole to the bottom of the cup. I tried 1 3/4" to see if I could water less, and I was less happy with that, but I don't recall why. I believe I thought it made the plants more likely to get root rot.

One thing that I learned is not to allow the buckets to become root bound as they become impossible to flush well. This is the limiting factor with my bonsai moms. After 3 or 4 months, the nute water can't easily penetrate the perlite and root mass, and weekly flushing become a long, unproductive process. That's when it's time to clone again. I use rock wool cubes.

I have been flushing the plants with pH'd water weekly, about 3X the pot's volume. I intend to try flushing twice a week as the plants really seem to perk up right after a flush.

I've always top fed. As far as I can tell, perlite doesn't wick moisture for shit.

Hope that helps,

OS

PS If any of you real experts see anything I'm doing wrong, I'd love to hear about it. Always room for improvement.

3. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

I use the course grade perlite. [​IMG] For new rooted clones and seeds I use the Solo cups.[​IMG]

Ive used straight perlite but it does dry out faster. You should use 3 parts of perlite for every 1 part of vermiculite. The vermiculite helps to hold moister.

Use the 3 parts of perlite for every 1 part of vermiculite mix and you will be very happy.

When I used the 3 gallon buckets they worked well and I had no problems with plants being to root bound or flushing.

4. Justcheckingitout

Thanks for the replys OldSmokey and Mr. G, If you use the mix of the verm and the perlite, is it a viable option to filter out the verm and reuse the perlite after chop? I know I sound cheap, I am just asking thou....LOL.. also, when the root's hit the bottom of the pot or cups, do you only feed enough water to fill the res at the bottom or do you flood and drain? I can see where mixing the perlite and the verm is better for holding moisture, hence better root feeding. Then the last question would be from seed or clone do you guys always use rockwool cubes, I know OldSmokey said he did at clone time, but was wondering from seed also.

5. OldSmokey

I use RW for seeds, after a 24 hr. soak in a glass of ph'd water. (Both the seeds and the RW get soaked separately.) I don't sprout very many seeds, so I don't wait to see a tap root before putting the seed in the moist RW. (In 4 years, Ive sprouted exactly 4 seeds...)

I water until water comes out of the hole in the side, and a bit more, maybe 25% of what I dumped in the top comes out the hole. Watering lots more doesn't hurt anything, it just wastes a little nutes that need to be disposed of somehow.

Unless Mr. G has gorilla-sized hands, he is using perlite that is a lot smaller than my stuff. Maybe half the size. The first bag I got was that size and it worked fine, but when it was time to get another bag, the hydro store only had the larger stuff. I like it better, as it seems less messy and it was easier to rinse the dust out of initially. The larger perlite also seems less inclined to float, if watered too fast. (Bear in mind that the size of the perlite should determine the size of the holes in the side of the Hempy bucket and your perlite rinsing bucket.)

OS

6. OldSmokey

Let's try some pics...

Big perlite

[​IMG]

This bag has what I felt was the easily recoverable perlite out of three 2.75 gallon pots. I didn't work at it too hard.

[​IMG]

7. OldSmokey

8. Justcheckingitout

So it looks like there is 3 different sizes to the perlite, I know I bought the small dusty stuff to mix in my soil, it was $7 for a 8 L bag. Then it looks like Gravel Sized like Mr. G had and then the super chunky stuff Old Smokey has..

Cool Info Old Smokey, do you know what you pay for the super chunky stuff? That bag you had looked like a 4CFT bag?

and Mr. G (Gorilla hands...LOL J/K) what's the price for the gravel sized stuff? Do you buy the 4 CFT bags?

I looked online and seen chunky stuff for $19-29 and super chunky for 43-$62 and my local charges $50 for med and 55 for Super chunky 4 CFT bag.

9. OldSmokey

$35 comes to mind, but it has been around here for a couple of years. 4 cu ft. The brand was "Mother Earth."

10. OldSmokey

Just thought of something else: Since I've never used it, I'm not sure how vermiculite would behave with the larger perlite. There a fair bit of air space between the large particles of big perlite. It would be a bummer if all the vermiculite ran to the bottom of the bucket.

11. Mrgreengenes

I clone with a bubble cloner. love it. The perlite is 4 cu ft and runs $39.00 a bag. OldSmokey, I've used both chunky perlite and the corse perlite that is about 1/4 inch The smaller perlite works best when mixed with chunky vermiculite. You can get it on ebay[​IMG]

12. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

I've been using MicaFlakes vermiculite for a few years now in soil mixes. $15 for 3cu/ft at Homie supply stores. Just a thought.

13. Justcheckingitout

Res, is the mica flakes verm a brand name? Or a certain size verm?

The chunky perlite stuff online that was 20 bucks, they wanted 30 to ship it, so I might as well get local from hydro shop for 55 since I will be sure its the chunky kind. on the corse or chunky verm, is that reuseable? There I go sounding cheap again...LOL Does anyone try to separate it at chop? I got soil problems, I should of made a better mix, I got caught up with doing the DWC mainly for past few years, but with the heat issues the next few months, hempy sounds like a better deal for me and it looks like you all have good success with it, so since I am behind everyone one else at least 10 years on stuff, I might as well get my hempy boots wet, I got some good clones to take to start the hempy cups with, Fools gold, Hugo, Og13, Orange Power and the Cherry AK Pheno I have been waiting for so long. . Thanks for all the help guys.

14. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

It's actually insulation. Made by the same company that supplies hydro for three times the price. I'll look up the manufacturer and get a pic tomorrow when I'm back at the garden

15. Justcheckingitout

That's interesting, its no wonder the hydro stores make so much.

So I still wonder when the plants roots get to the bottom of the res, if I only need to water the amount the res holds to save on nutes or should I flood and drain, then save the run off for next watering?

16. Justcheckingitout

I also forgot to ask about feeding, anyone know if using useless gh3 formula can be used with hempy? Or reg nutes at full strength?

(Never mind this question, I already figured out/read where I can use the formula at full strength, plus I am already using it)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2016
  17. Justcheckingitout

Ok, so I got the chunky perlite and got my 8 clones in sep cups and about 10 days now, they are starting to take off, should I transplant them to 2 gal pots now or wait a couple weeks? also what about watering now, do I just need to water the amount the res holds (to the hole in the bottom) or should I flood and drain? plants look good. I will post pics soon, I can't post them from my phone since the Iphone doesn't work with this site but will get some on my computer and post, I will start a grow thread on a couple strains that no one has posted yet.

18. OldSmokey

I top water until it comes out the hole plus about 25% more. Adding more won't hurt anything; it just wastes nutes that need to be disposed of. I would transplant within a few days of the roots hitting the res if I was doing it, but then again I'm using quart cups.

One thing I'll suggest is to wet your (already rinsed off) perlite with pHd water before the transplant. No dust and the plants seem to be happier for it. Done right there is no transplant shock with Hempy, just another wait for the roots to hit the reservoir again. Watering 3 times a day is helpful to speed this along.

Something that I noticed with automatic watering of my Hempys is that it's best to water all around the top of the pot instead of just one place as straight perlite doesn't seem to wick nutes. At all.

OS

19. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

I'd wait a few days til transplant. As far as perlite, did you mix vermiculite in as well or running straight chunky?

You can do either with great success, but i would suggest adding maybe 25% vermiculite when you transplant as it gives you some wiggle room on watering.

I've ran numerous different ways from 50 5o mix, to straight hydrotron....past few months I've went back to adding 25% vermiculite so that the plants stay happier longer.

I totally agree with old smokey as well, I usually rinse and do all that jazz during transplant then flood a few gallons of either pH or nutes through just to flush and hose water out or any remaining dust.

Oh, one last thing, your perlite size does matter. They all have their upsides and downsides.

The chunky rocks because it's easy to use and rinses clean and quickly.

The smaller perlite is a bitch to rinse but it holds moisture better in my humble opinion.

That's why I've been adding vermiculite lately....using chunky perlite for easy use, but the Verm holds the water like finer perlite would

20. Mrgreengenes

I've tried straight perlite and a 1 part vermiculite and 3 part perlite mix and the 1to 3 part mix works best.

I reccomend the course vermiculite over the fine stuff they use in seedling mix soil. Trust me on that.