Hermie questions

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by Justcheckingitout, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

So if I got a clone that first round produced no seeds then the second round had hermie seeds and another plant had some hermie and some good seeds, is that first plant able to have seeded that that second plant with some good seeds? Sounds like a tounge twister. I always thought if a plant hermied it was all hollow seeds.

I am only buying reg seeds from rep breeders. Cutting down on anything hermie. These breeders that sell fem seeds and dont stablize the strain. Man were wastimg our money.

2. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

If you started a crop and grew it out and it did well, and then the next round same strain / cuts and they hermied on you, I'd tend to think that you stressed them and induced the herm. Is that possible? Either way I've never heard the hollow seed on a hermie thing. I've noticed hollow seeds from time to time on stress hermed plants, but solid ones too.

3. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Hollow seeds are simply immature seed pods. Super common on plants that herm late. Any phenotype that hermies under slight stress should be culled from rotation and the mom destroyed. Any seeds resulting from a plant self pollinating should be viewed dubiously and considered a high risk investment as far as time and garden space. There's a damn good chance it'll carry the hermie trait too. Seeds from a plant that was pollinated by a hermie are of questionable quality also because we KNOW that at least one parent carries the tendency.

Basically, a pheno that has herm tendencies is useless. It shouldn't be used in breeding and it shouldn't be kept as mom.

Unless you're a breeder, the goal is to grow seedless weed. Why fuck around with anything that could fuck that up? It's rarely worth it and with all the available quality gear out there, who needs the headache of searching for unknowns? Around here it only takes couple seeds to bring a retail $300 ounce down to $100-$150. So it's a pretty big fuckin' deal to keep any chance of seeds out of the garden.

Why you screwing around with questionable seeds bro? You got plenty of quality shit going on already.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    blazerwill420 and ducrider like this.
  4. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

have you checked for light leaks etc?

and hermies are hermies, don't breed with em for sure and prob are wasting time growing those beans out (because they will likely will hermie late in flower). any seed that's not on purpose is bad, but check stress or a leak before blaming strain that wasn't doing it before.

5. Justcheckingitout

Well here is the deal, my pine was given to me as clone. And I bushed it out and took cuts and then flowered the mother. The mother had no seeds I seen but it was as a small plant after I took cuts. Next round alot of hermie seeds (not worth slinging unless I screen out seeds) so when I was telling the guy that gave me the pine about it, he said ...."the pine gets a couple pollen sacs But since you got the cut you probably won't see any. It's from seed when she'll herm from time to time. The F1's where nasty full of seeds. I think the clone I gave you was F3."

then I notice today my last fools gold got hit also. Its got seeds. So the pine is the only new strain that has a record of hermie. Must be the rooster in the whore house.

So I will go thru the one flower box and double clean it at chop then ditch the pine. (I just chopped the pine 3 rd round in flower, I dont want to take the chance of stuff getting seeded again.

6. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

What those guys said, toss it and start over.

7. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

Hate herm prone plants. Part of the game I guess when your on a pheno hunt.

8. Justcheckingitout

It sucks because my Fools Gold in hempy was a huge yielder and full of seeds, Well now I know what happened I do have both fools gold and fugo clones in veg so I might just keep them with the dab and Cherry Ak and continue on. Hate to ditch the pine because its potant but my balls are the only balls alowed in my flower box!

9. Justcheckingitout

Here was the pine buds I chopped just in case, didnt see any seeds thou IMG_5915.JPG ...

Max Rockatansky likes this.
  10. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

Makes sense to ditch it.. Like you said, having more than one set of balls in the grow room can be nothing but trouble...

11. GrowKing

GrowKing Member

Is it safe to say feminized seeds are risky for herms?

12. Justcheckingitout

Yep, there are breeders that dont always stabilize their new crosses and growers get herm seeds sometimes, that and if you have grower issues with fem seeds like heat stress, the herms can show. But its a crap shoot, good breeders have got some good fem seeds, but reg seeds is a safer way to go as far as not getting herms. You got to go the extra mile and sex the plants but alot of growers only get reg seeds just because of the fem seeds herm rate.

13. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

I don't do femmd seeds anymore. I find a good one and keep a good mom less stress IMO

:pimp:

Mrgreengenes likes this.