Hortilux grow

Discussion in 'Grow Log Forum' started by nippie, Sep 16, 2014.

1. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

Using Hortilux Gold ballast

Vegged 1 week under Eye Hortilux Blue

Flowering undering Blue for the first week or so, then Eye Hortilux Super HPS

Then switching back to Blue and hopefully removing glass for the final two weeks during flush (seeing if it makes a difference in trichs

[​IMG]

Week 0 starting the lollipop

[​IMG]

Week 1...cleaned out a lot, still going to hit them again so nothing but head nugs...still under blue, no real noticable effect on stretch. If so, it's slight, nothing to write home about.

[​IMG]

DaBurner420 likes this.
  2. nippie

I will say the Super Blue runs extremely cool, nothing at all like HPS.

No build up of heat at all, exhaust fan keeps 90% of the heat away from the girls without the need for AC

3. DaBurner420

DaBurner420 This Line For Rent.

Nice set-up! Fill us in on the details on your grow.:jj::read2:

4. nippie

This is just a side project:thumbs-up: more to test equipment to see if it's worth others to buy. I'll post pix of my other garden soon, but going for that new vaporizer :coolbounce:

But running Lucas (0-8-16) with 5 mls of GH Cal Mag and bonticare ZHO (hydrostore gave it to me for free).

Trying for a 14 day water change, next ressy change probably adding liquid Kool Bloom (5 ml per gal).

Oh yea, 4x4 table 1k light

5. DaBurner420

Thanks for the info. I can definately help judge the final results with a smoke report:dink:

6. BarnabyStones

BarnabyStones Established Healthy Roots

I noticed you have a sunleaves predator series reflector, which one exactly is that? Cobra? Looks like an amazing scrog setup, is that an ebb and flow table?

7. nippie

Yes, Predator King Cobra 8. I need to product reviews on some of the hoods I am running and I will but since this was mentioned here; I will go ahead and state that do NOT get the King Cobra 6. IT WILL NOT HOLD MH BULBS. They rest on the glass and this is a risk for bad bad things.

I actually got the 6 and had to go back, the wires were loose in the top of the fixture and MH didn't fit. They upgraded to a for free ($15 difference) and gave me a 8-6 reducer so my fans worked. (After this grow I will do a full review on the reflector and ballast, I do say I actually like the on/off switch on the ballast..sometimes it's the simple things that make you smile)

retail for 6 was $200, the 8 was $215. but you need to go with the 8 if you run MH at all. This is the only time I have ever had this problem.

Also, not sold on the hinges...they might grow on me, but as for now I don't see this is a positive thing.

Yes, double scrogged with the unders cut out, will be tying down again and switching to HPS in the next couple of days.

Yes 4x4 table with 70 gallon ressy with about 55-60 gallons in it on casters

8. nippie

9. DaBurner420

Seems like the light is focused on the center resulting in increased growth in that area. Is it the hood or the intensity of the light? Area too large for light?

10. nippie

Well, the light could prob be raised a few inches to solve that prob. I'm just lazy and figured I get a pic before the light went off.

Also, that's a 5x5 net over a 4x4 table. so it's kind off to the side and may or may nor be trimmed out after I switch to hps and see the light pattern.

I will say the light pattern is definately better than the cheaper ones. If you look at the first pic week 0, you can see the shadow cast and that's from the opposite side of the reflector.

So far, I would give the reflector and 8 out of 10, that may go up if I can get use to the locks

11. DaBurner420

:thumbs-up: :new_popcornsmiley:

12. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Wonder if the super blue runs any cooler than a norm mh or even cmh. My cmh ran cooler than the regular mh.

If I were you for trich production I'd use uvb bulbs. At the end. If you did want to look into it but not sure which to buy let me know I can point you into a couple good options. Might deploy one of my uvb lamps in my space with the leds at some point. Right now trying to do reading and decide if I want to use some 730nm light 15-30min after lights out and supposedly increase flower time per day. So I can run 14/10 but plant thinks it's still getting 12hr nights.

If you just did the MH at the end I don't expect any real change. Tried mh vs hps all the way through and mh just yielded less.

13. nippie

I was looking for a viable alternative to plasma for UV light.

I've read about reptile lights etc but I don't think it's honestly a good option. I think there;s only one company that makes a product sufficent enough to use in the marijuana field but to costly and frankly to much room to be help to the average gardener.

But I may try to take the glass off if heat and height lets me and use mh. MH produces far more UVB but the glass absorbs the vast majority of the UVB so unless I can remove the glass I will stick to hps because it would be pointless.

Did you happen to document that grow? I would love to read it if you did.

From my understanding, doesn't LED put out get trich production? I though that was one of the benies of it.

Anyways I'm sure by this time next year I will break down and supplement with plasma, but dropping $1000 per table for supplemental lights isn't something I'm joyous about.

But in your opinion, did running MH lessen stretch? I don't seem to think so, if you notice I've already double netted and still will need to tie some down. But without running side by sides, or at least more than one experiment it's hard to say.

The plants seem to love the light though, really really healthy fat stems in a matter of days, roots are exploding. I kind of wish I didn't put so many on there but I was killed about 15 more. Figured a solid head nug each and I would be happy, but they've turned into real plants lol even after being thinned out....they just love something.

Maybe next grow I will do two side by sides, galaxy vs hortilux to see if it's wave length that's making the difference

14. skunky

No I didn't document the mh and hps grow. That was during my hiatus. LOL I'd say LED trich production is Damn good But only slightly if at all better than hid. You'd be surprised those reptile bulbs are about as efficient you can get other than plasma. There are a couple with really good output And they used to make them in up to 4' t8 or t5. Remember some reptiles get BIG. Let me get to the house and get on the como I'll post some links. At least unless something has changed in the past year or so. I'll get back asap.

15. nippie

By all means post, if it's viable then I may consider that.

When I was saying reptile, I meant those small ones you that are 5 or 10s. I watched a reptile video with some lady from germany explaining the light patterns etc of them and why the t5s are the only option for larger reptiles etc. Those small bulbs have like a 2" goldie lox zone, to close it burns them up, to far and no benefits at all

Figured the same would go for marijuan.

16. skunky

Oh and yes I would say stretch was cut by about 1/4-1/3. So they still stretched. The light deprivation and acclimation to it causes it. So about 3' tall in one tent, about 6-8" or so shorter in the mh tent. The guy I was missing with it was his setup. But he liked how cool the mh ran and wanted to see if the off set from cooling the room justified the yeild loss. He ended up using dual hoods with both to cut on heat but not sacrifice as much yeild while still keeping coverage. Works but I think he just needs to stop fucking around and go cmh instead of mh. Can't talk him into that yet the jackass spent like $7-8k on leds maybe close to 2yrs ago.... smh unless it's problems with the plants health or pests he's one of those askholes that ask your opinion but never to use it. Gets scared of losing a harvest.... Then everything I say is gospel. LOL

17. nippie

Haha, I'll have to look it up but I think you are describing is a 'applenoob' some here will get that joke.

I am a dinosaur, I really was going to buy LED and then came home with hortilux...but I do love hortilux and it's their first ballast.

I'm really excited about the new hortilux t5s coming out too.

But I think the biggest reason I am can't go balls to the wall led is because of cost and there's no light overlapping. Thats one reason HPS will always be superior, you can space your lights and still get good coverage

18. skunky

19. nippie

sorry for the pic size, I aint redoing it

yeap sorry, large pix warning

End of Week 2, well minus a day (day 13)

I will be starting HPS tomorrow.

Verdict to hard to tell about actual stretch because they are tied up, but the nodes seem to be extremely tight together

Going through again to take any remainder off that's underbrush.....and I hate to say it, probably some fan leaves

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. nippie

Eye hortilux super hps has officially taken over light duty.

Plan is 5 more weeks under hps then back to mh super blue without glass...height permitted