Light Cycle

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by HazeNHydro420, Aug 24, 2004.

1. HazeNHydro420

HazeNHydro420 Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Which is the best or prefered light cycle for just starting my plants( pot of cource). Planting them today and was just wondering which cycle you all liked best LOL!! AND can anyone tell me the different light cycles there are?
    Thanks!!

PeAcE

(Edited by HazeNHydro420 at 11:12 am on Aug. 24, 2004)

2. ripright

ripright Developed Alternating Nodes

Haze, this is what I plan on doing with my little ones.

I will keep them on 24 hr. light until they are about 2 wks. old. (fluros). Then, I will switch to my 400w hps and go to 18/6. I will keep it this way until maturity (about 2 mo.) and then I will cut back to 12/12.

I'm pretty sure that 24 hr. light is best for your little ones though.

Hope that helps.

3. Phishy1

Phishy1 New Sprout

switching from 24/0 to 18/6 could cause your plants to auto flower.if you don't want them to flower do either 24/0 or 18/6 NOT BOTH!! if your plants get used to continuous light, any period of darkness thereafter will trigger flowering. i've alvways used my 400w Mh continuously during veg, then switch to 400w HPS for flowering. just some advice i would reccomend taking if you don't want any problems.

4. llIndigoll

llIndigoll Medical Grower

I disgree Phishy1 because in my experience switching from 24-hour light to 18/6 and/or 16/8 does not always cause flowering to begin...especially in the 2nd or 3rd week from seed. Things like photo schedules affect contrasting strains differently; so there is no universal truth about switching photo schedules.

With secure genetics a switch in photo periods at 2-3 weeks will NOT cause "auto-flowering".

By the by: auto-flowering is when a plant flowers under any photo period. Here's a picture of one:

[​IMG]

HazeNHydro420,

It sounds like ripright uses a similar approach to what I do.

Here's how I get plants started from seed:

http://forum.growkind.com/forum/topic.php?forum=4;topic=94

What you want to do with your plants should guide you to the right photo schedule to keep for them. If I want to grow plants from seed to flower, I do the following:

After the seedlings show their first set of true leaves I keep them under 24-hour fluors until they reach their 3rd or 4th week or until the lower leaves are more than 6" from the bulbs (whatever happens first). After that I'll throw them under HPS for 16/8 vegging until they reach the size/age I want them for flowering.

If I am cultivating a mother for cloning I use 24-hour lighting until I see alternating nodes and gender signs. After that it's 18/6 under HPS.

5. HazeNHydro420

HazeNHydro420 Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Thanks Indi,phisy, and rip for the info. If was all very helpful and gave me a couple new ideas! thanks much!!

PeAcE

6. jon chempo

jon chempo New Sprout

No light when starting your seeds = dark warm place

Now I use a 24 hour photo period during My Vegetative growth

& cut it back too 12 on 12 off for flowering .

As for Photoperiods you can mess with it a bit if you like

20 on 4 off 19-5 down to 18-6 But don't go under 18 hours

on for your early growth .. Hope this will help

& not confuse you ..