Looking to make some oil

Discussion in 'Hash and Oil' started by Lvstickybud, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

I've been searching on how to make oil and am getting pretty confused. What is the best way to make some nice oil? Everything I find seems to be making BHO and somehow it being turned into oil from there. I would really appreciate some help on doing this. I'm finally going to get a pen and would like some oil dammit. Thanks ahead of time for any help.

2. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

What kind of oil, cooking oil or cannabis oil?

3. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

Use cooking oil, add decarbed bud, simmer, strain with cheese cloth

4. nippie

Oh with pen use bho

5. bigbudztoo

bigbudztoo growin the good stuff

I make oil using the Simpson oil method with good bud. 99.9 % alcohol,. rice cooker with a stainless steel pot . I do it outside with a fan blowing over the pot to disperse the fumes.after it evaporates the alcohol away , you have oil. Just decarb it after that on a coffee warmer and you are good to go. stow it in a plastic syringe, warm it up under hot water and press out what you need. I have not judged it against commercially made stuff yet cause I don't want to pay for it.

6. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Res, cannabis oil for use with a pen.

nip, I'm trying to stay away from butane.

bb, that's about the only way I could think of too but wasn't sure if it would be the same results.

I was thinking of the way the hash oil is that I see people using with their pens (and the oil I used to buy decades ago) and it is always just liquid without heating.

7. nippie

is there a difference between eating and smoking?

i ask because i've seen numerous people using empty pill capsules to measure and store rice size grains for eating.

hope all is well

also, i've done rso in my kitchen.....not the best option, griddle outside would be better, but i was young and dumb using everclear liqour (190 proof)

8. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

nip, the only difference that I can think of is the buzz you'll get.

9. bigbudztoo

I am still trying to figure the difference too. Alcohol or Butane , they are both solvents that strip out the active ingredients yet the BHO method yields a more fluid result.. The simpson method's oil is darker -- not that nice amber color. I sure would like to know the reason why and have a workaround that would get the better result.

10. mytwhyt

mytwhyt Established Healthy Roots

190-195 proof grain alcohol has water in it.. water leaches out the chlorophyll and makes the rso oil darker.... not so with butane as the solvent... it strips the surface, not what's in the plant.... at least that's my understanding....

When you smoke oil you decarb. it with the heat... same as with a joint.... when you eat it you need to heat it to 225*f for 1/2 hr. first to decarb.before you eat it...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2016
  11. nippie

myt, do you mean butane or do you use propane? i know there are countless methods but damn propane would worry me because of purity at the tap so to speak.

and also, is it possible to winterize rso? seems like you should be able to but i don't see how that would work.

maybe it's time to hit the kitchen back up, i wonder if you could adjust times in the jar, less time less chlorophyll with some coffee filters in between freezing times to collect ice and the trash then cook down?

my oil making is limited, but it's always black.....well the darkest of greens that you could possibly have to black

12. mytwhyt

mytwhyt Established Healthy Roots

I meant butane... I use the triple refined lighter stuff for bho... I used a friends magic butter machine for rso, it came out black as tar... smoke it and you get really high,, eat it and you want to throw up... might be all right in a capsule.... Next time i'll just run buds and ice water through my 3gal washing machine.... Dry the resulting kief, then run the butane through that ..... Seems it should only take 1 large can of butane for several oz of bud, doing it that way... The good news is i have several oz of Blackberry dried and ready to go...

I selfed the BB by changing one branch with colloidal silver... Bad news, i had some pollen drift and need to sift it for more seed.. I already have 30 Blackberry seeds.... The good news, out of bad news is that a Master Kush was next to the BB... BB pollen x to Master Kush female.... I now have a couple dozen seeds of that cross.... Seems you can't switch one branch and be careful enough to contain pollen drift... at least i can't...

13. bigbudztoo

The alcohol I am using is 99.9 % pure . So 1/10 o.f 1 % is causing that ? Damn. Looks like I am gonna have to get a BHO setup and give that a run.

14. ResinRubber

Yes there is a difference between cooking oils, Simpson oil, and vaping oil.

So you want a vape oil? Butane, CO2, hexane are your alternatives. Butane is the most popular. So now you're gonna tell us you've never blasted a tube of BHO? Come on bro, I find that hard to believe coming from an old head like you. There's a gazillion youtube, skunklabs, GK, etc tutorials on open blasting BHO.

Simpson oil uses polar solvents to extract as much as possible from the plant. Alcohol extractions (everclear, grape alcohol, ISO, all extract varying amounts of chlorophyll along with the desired compounds. Not good for vape pens. Cooking oils are either a direct infusion from immersion of cannabis into a secondary oil then straining, or, by melting hash into a secondary oil.

15. bigbudztoo

that answered my question. Thanks, Res. BHO is now in my future. Thanks to mytwhyt as well for the good info.

16. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

No I have never made BHO or even smoked it. I didn't mind all the hash I've made and I always figured that I would keep with that but sneaking a pen and grabbing a couple hits of hash oil inconspicuously is what I'm now looking for. Looks like I'll have to go look at youtube and figure all this out. How easy is it to purge? Another reason why I stayed away from BHO was reading how Stash has all that equipment and vacuum purging and shit and it just seemed to complicated.

17. ResinRubber

Lol..hit me up in PM when you decide you're ready. We'll get you started right. There's a ton of BHO stuff in the Hash forum too. A vacuum purge is good, but winterizing your oil in alcohol also gives a good chance for any residue butane to escape.

Figured you'd given BHo a try..it's a brain buster.

18. JCgrow

JCgrow Planted Seed

I've got myself a cheap, electric hydraulic rosin press and I love it. You get a lot of PSI, no need for a compressor like other presses, and no solvents! Butane extraction is great, I don't deny it, but the average person shouldn't be f$#%ing with it.

19. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Who said anything about being average? :water pipe smoker:

20. ResinRubber

The larger run presses I've seen use bubble hash or sift or quality buds, not crude trim. Do you run trim with your press? I like the organic nature of heat press rosin but don't enjoy the extra step after hassling through a run of bubble or crushing my high market value flowers.