Newbies and Trolls

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by WhiteSticked420, Nov 24, 2003.

1. WhiteSticked420

WhiteSticked420 Full Flowering

I was reading HalfBaked420s latest post to me in potshots under the thread of GT420s seed giveaway and i may be over reacting but come on it seems every other day there is some newb or troll starting **** and takeing the time of people that would otherwise be bettering our family here or awnsering questions and i think more action should be taken agenst thease people, banning after one or two flame posts that are totaly started and kept going by them or alteast some type of action! i come here because of the family type relationship we have but as of lately i mise well be at OG with all the fighting and drama going on. i know the mods do alot trying to keep things calm and solve thease problems but clearly a good talking to wont stop thease people from attacking respected members...

Also on another note i think newbies not doing reserch befor asking questions should be more of a issue because it seems the fourms and chat are getting far to many questions that are easily awnserd by a little reserch and its annoying because some people that are takeing the time and effort to learn befor asking questions arnt getting the attention they should get just because someone else wont take the time to do the same...

I think two mods and a webmaster i have never seen in my few months of being here isnt enough, i think more power should be given to the mods and more mods should be apointed...sorry for my rambleings but i had to get it off my chest...

2. kbtoyz

kbtoyz New Sprout

i would tend to agree.bout the newbies .....i know i sat and read and studied for alost 4 months before i decided to join........and i knew what i was doing then .......i come here mostly to relax and laugh.i have enough stress when all my kids are awake!!!!!!!!!

3. trillions of atoms

trillions of atoms Latae Sententiae Excommunication

whiety..... WORD.

4. hellostupid

hellostupid Stupid Iz. Stupid Duz.

:sun: I vote WhiteSticked420 as our newest Moderator!:sun:

5. WhiteSticked420

Thanks ismoke, now i feel special :shy:

6. Smurfy007

Smurfy007 Veggy Stage

Newbies are just that, newbies.  Often they don't know...what they don't know.  For experienced growers, brown spots, rust spots, dark spots on leaves all mean the same thing but to a newbie there's a world of difference between a rust spot and a brown spot...if there isn't how come it's in two different posts one referring to it as brown and the other as rust?  Posting questions in a state of panic because their girls are sick is not a crime.  Especially when they're new to the game and do not want to screw up.  Who here hasn't been there?

As far as helping them is concerned, no-one points a gun at another for assistance.  For the veterans of GK who recognizes it's a similar post as one that was previously addressed, a simple "Please check FAQ" or provide a link to other post is simple enough to do.  That is the best answer to give as it teaches them where to locate the answers themselves as oppose to "get yourself a growbook" or some other belittling remark.  I don't think it was the intention of the Webmaster or the moderators to turn GK into an exclusive Advanced questioning forum only.  That is the thinking behind implementing a Beginners Lounge and Advanced Lounge....I think :confused:

As far as having more mods, I don't know about that one.  In my opinion it would take a great deal of trust to promote someone to that position as it includes special rights and priveleges such as access into people's persoanl registration information amoungst other things.  In the wrong hands, these people can do a lot of damage so careful selection is greatly needed.  After all, I certainly don't want my garden pics, IP address, email address and ISP sent to the DEA just because a power abusing mod doesn't agree with what I post.  Or realistically speaking, if anonymous members are being promoted just because they feel it's neccessary; how do the rest of us know if the one being promoted isn't a narc or fed agent on cognito assignment?

I for one like things the way things are administrately and commend the mods here for taking a hands off approach allowing the people to exercise their right to free expression instead of banning everyone who doesn't conform.  With this forum and any other forum, I adopt the same ideas as policitcs.  The less governing party the better.  Let the people govern themselves.....

Those are my two cents

7. rangerdanger

rangerdanger ***Rest in Peace***

I agree 100% sticky; in fact I have pm-ed webby about it several times, most recently about 10 days ago.

I would support rules against threatening violence, busts or hacking (1 warning, the 2nd time banned) and I think flamming posts should be deleted.

I'm not knocking the current mods, or their performance, but they can't be here all the time. I think another 2 or 3 would be a great idea.

As far as people not checking with FAQ or doing any research, those suggestions are there for new members to see, most people ignore it. I suggest all the time to stone rookie's that they read a growbook first. Many people I tell ignore the advice; most of those fail. But I don't think there's anything any of us can do about it (the old saying about leading a horse to water). And some people here don't mind answering basic questions.

8. Lemonpie

Lemonpie Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

I think Whitey has some very legitimate reasons for this thread. I waited a whole year before I joined the GK family. I went to the FAQ, did a lot of research and I'll be harvesting soon. I was welcomed in the chat by all to the cool cats and kitties of the GK family. Helped by Ranger, Useless, and of course Whitey...A million thanx Gentlemen:spin::spin:

There are some very disturbed individuals as well, and that's to be expected, but there should be parameters when behaviors are unacceptable.

9. rangerdanger

rangerdanger ***Rest in Peace***

Smurfy, mods (as a rule) don't have access to any infomation about other members at all.

And it's not needed to delete or switch posts to their proper forum.

Decisions to ban would remain with webby.

10. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

My Two Cents,

Flamming post/posters: Just like in your garden.....you have to pull the weeds out.

As far as newbies, hell we were all one once, when I did my research and then got into posting questions I found out growing is like the old saying "More than one way to skin a cat" (MG vs. Peters 20-20-20 vs. organic) for example) there are alot of questions that are not answered in the FAQ (But most of the main ones are) and yes I agree if you search the fourms long enough you more than likley will find the answers to other questions.

I'm just glad most people on this site are cool and very glad to help.....you always get a few ass'es in every crowd (Not speaking of anyone in particular)

11. mojojojo

mojojojo Veggy Stage

ive been on an technical xbox modification site for years

explaining things to newbies over and over,but you know what its my choice to explain things over and over to people.

if you dont like this or dont want to see it dont read the posts! simple. just because some people are not as quick

as yourself dont mean they are not worthy of the knowlege.

let me tell you another thing ive learned is that there will always be newbies and

there will always be someone worried about the things they say.what else would you read?

12. SMOKEYtheBEAR

SMOKEYtheBEAR Cured Fat Sticky Bud

i agree with the **** about assholes and wotnot but i gotta admit the drama does make me laugh. The **** about newbies i dont agree with, whitey, in chat you and another member laughed at me cuz i asked a newbie question....you told me to go read the faqs, that pissed me off dude, i bin here all o this time and you think i havnt read the faqs over & over, u think i havnt spent days, maybe weeks reding any infomation about m.j i can get my hands on? I'm sorry but were all not-so-clever and unfortunatly i find it difficult to absorb infomation....too much weed, and the faqs dont answer all of our questions. What you're basically saying is that only advanced growers have the right to ask questions on here, and if a newbie who doesnt have a clue what he's doing has a question they should go read the faqs AGAIN and find the answer ourselves. well it sure as hell sounds like that to me. It seems to me like some of the people on this site feel all 'high-and-mighty' cuz u can grow some nice plants, and newbies are an inconvenience to you. Whatever man, i feel like i've bin wasting my time posting here, knowing that my questions are not welcome. Family atmosphere my ass...........

13. trillions of atoms

trillions of atoms Latae Sententiae Excommunication

I say ask questions and let questions be asked... when a newb come in here, and asks a simple "faq" question, ONE PERSON TELL HIM TO READ FAQ THEN LEAVE THE THREAD ALONE! Only way to unclog traffic is to let it flow (over and through) all the accidents, potholes, detours and other traffic. Just dont be hateful. lets all love one another like i love you. Peace to my brothar man- TOA

14. rockatansky

rockatansky Developed Alternating Nodes

Here is my 2 cents worth.  As a newbie not only did i not have much knowledge about Cannabis but I had never posted in a forum before!  Some of these nubes are new to more than growing freinds!!  I had help from Herbspraky and a few others here.  So remember that not everyone knows how to post pics or search the forum.  I dont post much cause my computer and connection are so slow it takes almost 15 minutes to just start a post!

15. greenthumb420

greenthumb420 Hash Engineer

My .002. You can have 15 mods and it wouldn't stop the trolling.I've been here since we had about 1,000 members and now were up to almost 4,000 members and you know what,there's just as much trolling now as there was when we had 1,000 members.The simple fact remains: If you continue to pay attention to trolls then they will just keep on and on.That's what they want....attention.

As Ranger stated Mods have limited power.My screen looks a little different than yours and i have more options but as far as personal info...nada.We don't have any way to find out your password,IP, or anything personal.We're just here basically to keep the forums clean and organized.

When things get out of hand,don't expect us to be the police and start deleting posts/topic or locking threads.It ain't going to happen. Most of the people on here are adults so act like one.This bickering and flaming is pathetic.

16. WhiteSticked420

Whoever said the thing about the rust marks and stuff of course i would try to awnser that question, thats a question worth an awnser but i am talking about questions like "when do i flower" "how far should i keep the light from the plant" simple stuff like that...smokey i didnt mean to laugh at you in a mean way, i dont even remember you asking a question, i know the FAQs dont cover everything but i am just saying some people that go out and take the time and effort to do the reserch and have some valid questions then they cant get them awnserd or dont get all the awnsers they should because the fourms are coverd in "when do i flower my plant" or whatever...i mean the reason i bring this up is yes sometimes a fresh joined newb will make a post and be told to go check the FAQs just like i did when i first jointed but then i went and read the faqs unlike alot of people that just ignor it...like this guy came into the chat about a month ago and was asking all thease questions and was told to do reserch then came in again a few days ago and was asking the same questions basicly, i am not saying anyone needs to know everything befor posting i am just saying get the basics down...GT420 i know you guys dont have banning power or anything but what i am saying is i think you should and i think more mod should be apointed maybe 3 more so someone will be on almost all the time and if something goes down and someone starts flameing hardcore you bann them and its over with so we dont have thease 20 page long threads of everyone fighting....

17. hellostupid

hellostupid Stupid Iz. Stupid Duz.

:alien:I'm sure all of you know someone locally that has asked fer advice on growing weed...right?:light:

:alien:2 of my High School buddies are doin tha same thing to me now..."can you teach me howto grow?"

:sun:But when i try to explain simply concepts such as lighting, ph, tds, and ventilation techniques(in less than a 20 minute timespan)...itz almost like opening Pandoraz Box...becuz my answers will end up only confusing him even more(unless i use really generic lamen's termz)!!!

:sun:They're gonna fergot everythin i told 'em the very next day anyhow fer that matter!:sad:

And yes...i do get frustrated with them for getting frustrated with me. And my frenz alwayz do the worse thing...2nd guess me!  I hate when they do that(so i can relate Smurfy...lol)!!!
    [​IMG]

:light:So instead of wasting both our time; i now  give 'em a reality check & tell them that it takez Monthz(if not yearz!) to properly grow fine Herbs by tellin 'em to go:

1)read at least several books first;then come to me to help 'em fill in the gapz.

2)go make every mistake in the book first; so to learn from them afterwardz.

:sun:They're reaction? Dissapointment of course. Most people would rather have me hold them by the hand; which i will not do.

It'z alwayz best to learn from your own mistakes becuz book knowledge can't compare with personal experience.

:sun:Why? Becuz i believe in empowering others to "feed" themselves. Why should i catch the "fish" for 'em when they (with very little guidance from me) can learn to do it 4 themselves...right?:confused:

:alien:Yes. I'm also guilty of asking stupid newbie questions and not quite understanding the answers that you gurus are "feeding" me. Unless newbies do a little research/reading on their own...becuz what good is my advice of 5,000 lumens per square foot if these newbies are only gonna end up asking me,"what is a lumen?".:shocked:

:light:What i am tryin to say is that i'm with Whitesticked420 100%...i don't think it's wrong "not" answering their newbie questions becuz they aren't capable of understanding the very answers/advice that you gurus are willing to share with them!

Thatz equivalent as trying to explain to a child howto use the "En Passant Move" when she/he don't even know howto play Chess! With that in mind, i don't see anything wrong by telling that kid to read a Chess book first(tha basics) so that she/he can fully comprehend the very answer that child is seeking!

Sorry fer soundin like a broken record...oops. My bad!:beer:

(Edited by ismoke2much at 2:54 pm on Nov. 24, 2003)

18. SMOKEYtheBEAR

SMOKEYtheBEAR Cured Fat Sticky Bud

i know what you guys are saying....but i have done lots of reading...and still i dont get straight answers from people, the least you could do is tell me "Your a useless idiot, **** off!!" At least then i know your bein straight wiv me.

19. WhiteSticked420

Smokey i read your post again and dude i dont think i am all high and mighty, and i have spent alot of time awnsering questions no matter what they were, and i dont think only advanced growers have a right to ask questions i am just saying read all you can and get your basics down befor asking questions...it would take someone hours or days to awnser all the questions some people have and to get them to a level where they can grow, thats why the faqs are there so you can just learn the basics then when you have a question or a problem thats not coverd in the faqs anyone would happily awnser your questions but some people seem to expect us to awnser every question they have from the basics to there harvest and it would be so much easyer on both sides to just so the reserch...and no i dont keep telling people to go back to the faqs, i know whats coverd in the faqs and even if you arnt "absorbing" all the info no problem with that everyone learns at there own pase but i am talking about the people that fully ignor our requests and never look at the faqs, if you look around you will see newish people that have done there reserch Mellowdood,Lemonpie,myself and all of our grows have gone off without anything to bad but alot of people dont do there reserch, start there grow then get in mayjor trouble when they dont know what to do and might end up killing 3-4 grows befor getting it down pat...over all what i am saying is just do the reserch and it will be alot easyer on everyone and your grows will go easyer...

20. SUPERclosetgrowth

SUPERclosetgrowth Germinated

Quote: from greenthumb420 on 12:00 pm on Nov. 24, 2003

As Ranger stated Mods have limited power.My screen looks a little different than yours and i have more options but as far as personal info...nada.We don't have any way to find out your password,IP, or anything personal.We're just here basically to keep the forums clean and organized.
     When things get out of hand,don't expect us to be the police and start deleting posts/topic or locking threads.It ain't going to happen. Most of the people on here are adults so act like one.This bickering and flaming is pathetic.

Thats a LIE!

Agrowguy had access to my "whereabouts" and posted it on growkind for like 10 minutes.

All mods have access to personal info. so watch out!