now my dwc

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by greenjah, May 10, 2011.

1. greenjah

greenjah A Fat Sticky Bud

I just got a clone of goo in dirt, in a small pot. Ive done this before with no isues but in aero. i wash all the dirt from the roots and put it into the dwc. now in this case i used pee gravel instead of hydrotin. the water less then a day after i mixed it up has a tan looking powder settled on the sides and bottom, when i disturb it it kinda looks like small glitter. also the roots that are actualy in the water are dark red- brown. im guessing the root rot is the problem. i it has only been in there 2 days now. so what do you guys think? should i take it out and put it back in dirt or could it be an easy fix? also my ro unit broke so i am useing my hard water wich has a ppm of 500 to start and i am useing the useless formula, no additives. thx for any ideas.

2. greenjah

forgot

sorry i forgot to mention, water temps are 76 and in the 2 days it has been in there it has grown a normal amount.

3. ScottyG420

ScottyG420 Marijuana Handler

Gotta rinse the bejesus outta that hydroton or pea gravel or whatever it is ure using. Rinse and then rinse again. Those lil balls are made of clay. Lots o dust n dirt. Take th plant and gently rinse/masage the roots again to clean them off a lil. Then put 'em back in a bucket of throroughly rinsed hydroton or pea gravel.

I'm personally a fan of hydroton.

4. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

have you checked your pH? if the pH is out of whack then certain nutes will precipitate... that is form into a solid usually a salt causing it fall out of solution... becomes a solid and settles in the res.... brown roots is not a good thing obviously id flush everything real well includig the pea gravel and would say avoid the gravel if its just ordinary gravel used for construction... not sure what the ph properties are for pea gravel

5. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

The pea gravel isn't an issue. Lava cinders, gravel, hydroton, perlite....as long as it's a stable clean ph neutral substrate you'll be ok. These guys will get your roots fixed up in no time.

6. Bigbud214

got any pics of the res and the glittery stuff? not sure if pea gravel is ph neutral as it isnt exruded under high heat like hydroton or perlite... just bouncing things out there i could be wrong and the pea gravel could have no issue what so ever... but i have seen pics of a res where certain elements have precipitated when the pH got too high... anyways i hope you figure it out

7. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

When I take my plants out of soil and put them in my DWC, the soil roots (that's what I call them because they seem to be different than the hydro roots) usually stay brownish and the plant doesn't take off till the hydro roots (white, fish boney looking) appear. That seems to be about a week or so. The hydro roots stay nice and white but the soil roots never change color.

The glitter looking stuff, no idea. Maybe residue from the gravel? Even when I rinse the hydroton a couple of times I still, occasionally, get reddish crap at the bottom of the pail for the first week.

I think root rot would take longer than 2 days to appear?

8. greenjah

thank you very much guys, i did a florakleen flush over night and will go back to nutes today. i also did an experement, i mixed up a gallon of nutes and put a bubbler in it and about 6 hours later i saw sedement, this tells me it must be the well water. i did adjust the ph to 5.8 also. it didnt look as bad as in the bucket but i am guessing my ph had something to do with it like you guys said, it was 7.0 in the bucket, i will have to adjust a bit right when i mix the nutes. and stickybud it looks like your right to. i filled the res more before i flushed with plain water and that made more roots go under water and within an hour they were stained darker to. and as of thismorning i can see new root growth and it is much whiter. so thank you guys, i feel much better now. and for the ic's i got my computer back yesterday but lost my mouse, lol. i must have been stoned when i put it away. but that meanes i'll have good pick for you guys soon.

9. Bigbud214

man my sol roots are as white as can be... ive always heard that white roots equals healthy roots... im guessing whatever turned your roots brown is now been correced and you are getting healthy new root growth.