Nute shelf life?

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by CREATIVE GARDENER, Dec 20, 2017.

1. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

I prefer buying my nutes as bulk as possible. Saves $, a gal of cal mag plus is $37 and 5 gal is $122, 4 liter of sensi grow is $78 and 10 liter is $160, and the UPS truck is not stopping at the house every other day.
    But the main factor is the shelf life and the open life of the products which I'm having a hard time finding. I'm thinking keeping the bigger container sealed in a cool dark area should help but I'd like to know for sure. Any help would be great. Thanks!!!
    Be Cool, CG

2. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

Usually 1 year on most things unopened.

Call the manufacturer and give them the lot code and ask for advice. Hinestly most companies will be glad to help you because they want you to buy there product. And just because you buy nutes doesnt mean you are growing pot, a lot of people indoor garden now so dont be shy to call

3. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

All I know is the dudes at the hydro store (and you know how some of them guys dont know jack) said they stay good for a long time but i am not sure how long that is. I had asked because i had a container that was a year old and had salt build up around the top.

Shake well before use is my recommendation.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  4. CREATIVE GARDENER

Yeah, the cal mag is an absolute necessity for my tomatoes. Once I found out that blossom end rot was mostly a calcium deficiency I started socking it to um and it cleared right up. The GH 3 part I've had for a while I'll toss, but save the Dutch Master till spring for the veggies and flowers 'cause I use recycled Pro-mix in the beds and pots. Beats paying out the ass for MG potting soil!!!! Thanks for the input guys.
    Be Cool, CG

5. CREATIVE GARDENER

Yeah, the salt built up is not a good sign. Especially when you can't get it to break back down.
    Be Cool, CG

6. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

I asked about pure blend pro, prolly 10 years ago, they said use it within a year of purchase is best

7. CREATIVE GARDENER

Yeah, the 1 year seems to be the norm. So I'll go with the 5 gal of cal mag plus 'cause I use that indoors and out. But the others, I'll go with the 10 liter. Thanks!!
    Be Cool, CG

8. greenjah

greenjah A Fat Sticky Bud

Advanced is 2 years for the non bio's and a year for anything with the bio life.
    The salt buildup around the top just happens from using it, every time you pour it leaves a few drops on the top to dry out and that turns to salt.
    Or if it was stored on its side it could be drawn out the top by any little salt that was there and then it just builds up.

9. CREATIVE GARDENER

Yeah, I use rectangular beverage (tea or koolaid) containers for my main nutes. And when I leave them on their side sometimes the salt builds up around the dispenser tap area so I make sure I stand them up now. Guess it was just a tiny leak and not the shit going bad on me. Thanks!!
    Be Cool, CG

10. Justcheckingitout

I know also storing nutes in a hot room is not so good also. The powder stuff like monster grow gets any moisture in it, it turns gewey. They say its still good but I always just get new if it gets like that. Things like great white powder micros last a long time. I got some over 2 years old I started using again.

11. CREATIVE GARDENER

I've tried a couple powders, like Big Bud, and never could get the stuff to dissolve well at all. The water at that house is pretty hard so that could have been the reason. Probably should have tried distilled water, but went back to the liquid.
    Be Cool, CG

12. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

try adding it to water in smaller container (like a water bottle or something), shake the hell out of it, then add to you bucket to make nutes

13. greenjah

greenjah A Fat Sticky Bud

Also dont let it get cold. General hydro 3 part wasnt to bad, it had to almost freeze to get separation but the advanced only took a couple nights of low 50's or high 40's and the 2 part conasure, part a gooed up on the bottom and part b crytalized on the bottom, i did it twice with different bottles so it wasnt just a bad batch. I never tested the bloom a and b or the add on's.

14. CREATIVE GARDENER

Thanks man, I never heard that. The old house I grow in isn't very insulated so there's places that get pretty cool. I'll be sure to keep it in a warmer place. The bottles are black so the light shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again!!!
    Be Cool, CG

15. CREATIVE GARDENER

I was finally able to get through to Advance's grower support and the cat said, like Greenjah mentioned, 2 years on all the no-bio products I use. And up to 5 years if stored at room temps and prevention of contamination. His suggested pouring into smaller containers if using measuring syringes and keep main bottles tightly sealed.
    Be Cool, CG

16. Great, that's nice. Good to know the storage condition for increased shelf life.

17. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

2E3A3907-47A0-4E87-B90F-5FDD11EA71CB.jpeg If you’re buying 5 gallons at a time a simple hand pump would keep contamination to a minimum and quite possibly extend the opened shelf life. I’d be a little concerned about the solids droping out of soliton over time though.

18. Justcheckingitout

This is a great Idea. It would be nice to have for the smaller bottles so I didnt spill the micro everywhere when trying to measure out mil's.