nutrient defenciey list

Discussion in 'Common Plant Problems and Solutions' started by AzGrOw-N-sMoKe, Sep 29, 2007.

1. AzGrOw-N-sMoKe

AzGrOw-N-sMoKe Begun Flowering

NITROGEN (N)
    Pale plants, red stems, smaller growth. Rapid yellowing of lower leaves progressing up the plant. Add any chemical fertilizer containing N. Treated plants recover in about a week.

PHOSPHORUS (P)
    Slow or stunted growth, red stems. Smaller leaves that are dark green. Lower leaves yellow and die. Add chemical fertilizer containing P. Affected leaves will not show recovery but new growth will apear normal.

POTASSIUM (K)
    Affected plants are usually tallest and appear to be most vigorous. Necrotic spots form on lower leaves. Red stems. Leaves appear pale or yellow. Add chemical fertilizer containing K.

CALCIUM (Ca)
    Lack of calcium in the soil results in the soil becoming too acid. This leads to Mg or Fe deficiency or very slow stunted growth. Treat by foliar feeding with one teaspoon of dolomatic lime per quart of water until condition improves.

SULFER (S)
    Plants suffering from S definciencies exhibit yellowing of new growth. Mix one tablespoon of Epsom salts per gallon of water until condition improves.

MAGNESIUM (Mg)
    Lower leaves yellow and may even turn white while veins remain dark green. Blades die and curl upward.

IRON (Fe)
    Leaves on growing shoots turn pale and veins remain dark green. pH imbalances make iron insoluble. Foliar feed with chemical fertilizer containing Fe or rusty water.

MANGANESE (Mn)
    Necrotic and yellow spots form on top leaves. Mn deficiency occurs when large amounts of Mg are present in the soil. Foliar feed with any chemical fertilizer containing Mn.

BORON (B)
    Growing shoots turn grey or die. Growing shoots appear burnt. Treat with one teaspoon of Boric acid (sold as eyewash) per gallon of water.

MOLYBDENUM (Mb)
    Yellowing of middle leaves. Foliar feed with chemical fertilizer containing Mb.

ZINC (Zn)
    White areas form at leaf tips and between veins. Occurs in alkaline soils. Zn deficiency can be treated by burying galvanized nails in the soil. Chemical fertilizer containing Zn can also be used.

OVER FERTILIZATION
    Causes leaf tips to appear yellow or burnt. To correct soil should be flushed with three gallons of water per one gallon of soil.

Mad Scientist likes this.
  2. allsmilez

allsmilez snow bunny

nutrient def.

A little add-on; Red coloration in the leaves/petioles can be a sign of Phosphorus def., but nitrogen will cause the yellowing of leaves and slow growth.Some strains are naturally red to begin wit, so use caution when diagnosing these deficiencies. Also, if the p.h. is not adequate to begin with, none of these nutrients will be avaiable to the plant to begin with. And remember whenever you use any kind of fertilizer, be it chemical or organic, you will need to re-check the p.h. and watch for salt build-up. Don't forget to leach.

3. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Veggy Stage

I like it! Way easier to read than than the nute troubleshooting link in the FAQ. I don't need all those pics, though I can totally understand some people needing them just to be sure.

Hmmm... Kinda makes me want to turn this into a flochart for nute problems..... Maybe I can put something together over the next few days.

MS

4. AzGrOw-N-sMoKe

ya do what you gotta brotha...i got moree info i'll post in the next few days toa week..peace az

5. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Retired.

Nute deffic...

Nute defficiency is a worthy topic for a thread.I know the link in my signature wil take you to icmag and onlinepot.org,both of which have amazing info on nute deffic in case you wanted any more info Az:icon_thumleft:Cheers.:smokin:

6. greybush79

greybush79 I-Y-Q-Y-Q-R_!!

2 cents

The following info to marinate on was provided by: JORGE CERVANTE"S Indoor/Outdoor medical grower's bible.

First, I love the list and how it is paraphrased. It, like all nutrient lists, lacks one thing; an easy explanation of mobile and immobile nutrients. This is crucial because many different ailments show the same sign, just on different parts of the plant.

MObile nutrients, as the name implies, are nutrients that can and do travel to any part of the plant where and when they are needed. Mobile nutrients include (N) nitrogen, (P)phosphorus,(K)potassium,(Mg) magnesium, and (Z) zinc. MObile nutrient problems show up in older leaves, since they travel where they are needed.

Immobile nutrients do not travel where they are needed, they stay where they are deposited so you will always notice these deficiencies in newer growth. (Ca) calcium, (B) boron, (Cl) chlorine, (Co) cobalt, (Co) copper, (Cu) iron, (Mn) manganese, (Mo) molybdenum, (Si) silicon, and(S) sulfur are all immobile nutrients.

Here is just one example of how this is useful

Suppose your leaves are getting pale, most anyone's first guess? Nitrogen, right? Well this isn't true if it is on the top of the plant since the newer growth would be the last to show (N) deficiencies. It would however be a good indicator of maybe sulfur deficiences. The signs look almost the same, the only difference is which part of the plant is showing you signs.

That might be 4 cents but I'll leave it at just 2

Mr. Gardener likes this.
  7. AzGrOw-N-sMoKe

NITROGEN (N)

Pale plants, red stems, smaller growth. Rapid yellowing of lower leaves progressing up the plant. Add any chemical fertilizer containing N. Treated plants recover in about a week.

SULFER (S)

Plants suffering from S definciencies exhibit yellowing of new growth. Mix one tablespoon of Epsom salts per gallon of water until condition improves.

so what are you saying greybush....if you read it says n starts on the low parts of the plant an works up while sul starts with new growth...peace az

8. allsmilez

allsmilez snow bunny

That is really helpful!!! Alot of problems can start with misdiagnosis.... That helps narrow it down....Thanks,GB! :)

oh....I fixed the booboo on the CO,CO,CU, no FE....just messed up letters...