Organics in Aeroponics & Hydroponics?

Discussion in 'Organic Cultivation' started by rasganjah, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Anyone have any experience with organics in an aero or hydro setup? Preferably with some success stories? Teas that kind of thing.

I'm getting ready to try and run some tests using my Wisdom Tree Organics, Wisdom Tree Tea in an aeroponic bucket too see if I can have any success utilizing it as a nutrient solution in an aero or hydro setup. I'm going to be using a "Dewey Mister" to aerate the solution as well as provide the actual spray mechanism. Powered by a small 45 liter per minute commercial air pump.

So far using the tea to top water them in 4" Rockwool cubes has gone well. The plants have responded with crazy growth. The microbes sent them into overdrive and they have grow very fast. My test plant is just about ready to go into the bucket in a couple days so I was curious if anyone has ran a tea or organic nutrient solution in a similar setup with any level of success.

I know for sure that the tea will need to be diluted a lot from full strength like I use to feed my soil plants.

I'll update with my results just for fun with a couple of pics. :redbong:

2. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

You're biggest issue will probably be a lockout that will be difficult to deal with when the plants start getting larger if using only teas.

The word organic has many legal meanings, so it's kind of a slippery slope as to what you asking. When you see 'general organics', legally it's organic, tech it's not, if that makes sense because it's very expensive to suspend minerals in an organic solution and at the same time be commercially viable

From what you are describing you are looking for a true organic all liquid fert regiment that lacks salts to carry the nutes, but from my understanding, there's a limited amount of companies doing this. I believe there's a research facility in Japan whom's name escapes me at the moment that actually has somewhat perfected this but does not currently have product in US markets.

If I get time over the weekend, I'll look into 'USDA Organic' standards for hydro, but I honestly believe the 'debate' hasn't been resolved. It's been a couple years though since I looked, was so discouraged last time it didn't seem worth following up on because the Brits have said they won't certify hydro crops organic and the Brits are the global standard for food safety.

But just thinking about it, aero might be a lot harder then say hempys or other passive method, just because you have something for organisms to live in besides root matter to convert nutes to food for plants

3. nippie

From the NOP standards...so basically :bduh: it's debatable if possible. We'll not possible, it's possible, but reluctance to issue would be a better phrase. You would need a certifying body to review your feed, system, control methods etc and some could possibly accredit you as organic, others won't. More than likely, most would say no but frankly anyone with an approved plan can certify so you would be making a lot of calls and probably using a fly by night

Hope that helps

Organic hydroponics is a method of growing plants using mineral nutrient solutions, in water, without soil. Terrestrial plants may be grown with their roots in the mineral nutrient solution only or in an inert medium, such as perlite, gravel, biochar, or coconut husk. Some organic farms are utilizing hydroponic growing methods to produce organic crops under the USDA organic regulations. These producers use the same fertilizers and pest control practices as other organic farmers – primarily natural fertilizers and pest control methods. Organic hydroponic production is allowed as long as the producer can demonstrate compliance with the USDA organic regulations.

Accredited certifying agents are certifying organic hydroponic operations based on the current organic regulations and the operation’s Organic System Plan. In the future, the NOP may provide additional guidance regarding organic hydroponic production and how the regulations apply to such methods.

The National Organic Advisory Board (NOSB) completed their final recommendations on crop production in containers and enclosures (e.g. greenhouses) greenhouses in 2010. The NOSB’s 2010 recommendation included a provision for not allowing organic hydroponic production. The NOP continues to work on evaluating and implementing a backlog of older NOSB recommendations including the greenhouse recommendation. Any proposed changes based on the NOSB’s greenhouse recommendation that would affect organic hydroponic operations would involve opportunities for public comment.

.......last modified 05/06/14

4. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I don't care about certifications or technical definitions of what meets the criteria to be called organic. I simply am curious if anyone else has toyed with organics in hydro/aero. I'm not looking for a product. I have a product. I started my own company and I make and sell a tea mix. All dry mix for brewing microbial rich nutrient tea. It's called Wisdom Tree Organics, Wisdom tree Tea. I intend to use my tea as the nutrient solution. My hope is that with lots of aeration the microbial life will be able to do it's job even without a medium. We shall see I suppose.

5. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Good luck Ras!! But I'd think some kind of certification would be nice for marketing on a larger scale. Got potential to make a man some real money in this growing market!!! Pun intended:roffl:

Be Cool, CG

6. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

My product is comprised of ingredients that are all on the OMRI approved for organics use list. When the time comes I will have no problems getting my product certified as an organic product. Certs for organic production of actual crops is another thing altogether.

7. nippie

Sorry I misunderstood your question. I thought you asking about the viability of a strictly organic hydro garden. Not sure what you are asking, basically just pointing out that you well get sued for misrepresenting a product if you in any way shape or form represent that your product is organic in the world of hydroponics.

And once again I believe theres a research corp that has perfected this in japan strictly on yhe research level.

But once again, commit felonies because thats what it is to misrepresent products as organically feasible, without the basic knowledge....carru on ras be with you

8. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Good luck with the Teas Ras. We rarely see eye to eye anymore...but I wish you well in your business endeavors. More organic is never a bad thing imho.

:bong2:

9. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I don't get either of your guys' replies. Get sued for misrepresentation. WTF? are you talking about Nippie?

RR - I don't see what's to not see eye to eye about. I wasn't starting a debate over anything. I simply asked a question. Been a while since I popped in but as I can see I am just about as welcome here as I was when I left last time.

I'll just stay away for good.

Peace & Blessings. Best wishes to you all.

10. nippie

If you try to sell an 'organic' product it has to meet the definition by law!! Words really have meanings, to represent something as organic means it went through certification process..not that its a natural product. Once again words have meanings.

And like I stated, usda whom owns the term organic will not certify 'organic' products for hydro for numerous reasons. I tried to be nice and actually point the way to the information you were looking for and frankly theres an easy work around the promblem but im sure you already now that...because im sure you read the actual laws that are applicable and have the background to know whats considered industry norm let alone the labeling laws etc.

And seeings how the you are asking an impossible question to answer....because no products that i know outside of japan (for the third time) i highly doubt theres many people in the america that have experience once against n because product lines do not exist.

Futhermore I would say you may be confused on what plants actually eat....ie the actual process...because unless you have figured out to suspend crystallized minerals in an organic solution that everyone from nasa to every nute company has been trying to do decades you are swapping microbes for actual plant food.

But I do like the victim thought process. I actually tried to point you in the right direction and you speak to me in a condescending tone....see how far that gets you in life.

But all are welcome here. Even you ras, just understand when people are actually trying to help

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2015
  11. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

I thought I was being honest and complimentary. We've had our goes and don't see eye to eye on much anymore. Nothing to get get sore about. Just is. If my recognition of this, or the timing, was inordinate, my apologies. You're as welcome here at GK as any other member. More than most to be sure and have contributed much to the site. As a moderator and also contributor to GK I'd be stupid to not want you around. Politics and lifestyle differences be damned. You grow weed and have ideas....didn't know we needed to agree on anything else?

:passit:

Sincerely, good luck with Wisdom Tree Tea. I'm hoping you knock it out of the park and retire with LadyRas to some fine island.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.