purple strains

Discussion in 'Strain Guide' started by bamboo, Jun 5, 2010.

1. bamboo

bamboo Veggy Stage

Just wondering what everyones thoughts on the best purple strain for potentcy and yield.Lot of people been asking about purple lately.:bong-2:

RkyMtnWayHigh69 likes this.
  2. SecretGrower420

SecretGrower420 Baked as fuck

Sannies shop has some good purple strains but it's a mater of finding the right pheno (which wouldn't be too difficult).

I'd have to say go with the killing fields.

[​IMG]

or maybe his jackberry

[​IMG]

Just check out his site.

http://www.sanniesshop.com

3. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

I just picked up some Purple Passion, but it'll be a couple months before I can give any sort of report on it.

I sure do love the Purple Strains.

I know LukesMommy has a Sannies Killing Fields, and it's simply beautiful . . . at least I think it's that strain, she has soooooooooo many. :) :ebert:

4. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

good question id like to know the same!:affro:

5. lukesmommy

lukesmommy "lil doobie"

Sannie's Killing Fields- this one has a purple and a blue pheno... I got 2 purples in this batch! Can't wait to try em!

Peace

-LM

6. dooobster

dooobster A Fat Sticky Bud

I've also seen a cherry red pheno of the KF... :droooling:

7. bamboo

bamboo Veggy Stage

purple

:anibong: :anibong: Man those buds look sweet:passsit: :potleaf-3: Whats the potency of the killing fields? About to throw down big bud and big bang and maybe bubblicious,but would like a potent purple sativa as a keeper.Brings back the old days .

8. SteelCity Smoker

SteelCity Smoker To Be Continued

I have always been curious as to why ppl worry about the color of the herb? Not knocking just curious...DSP

9. NOTthatTIGER

NOTthatTIGER Developed Alternating Nodes

blue?........OOOOOOOoooooooo pretty!!!! that's why, lol, cuz they fuckin' pretty!

:affro:

10. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

DJ Short has some purples.

A somewhat unknown, or at least around GK it seems is DJ Short's Vanilluna (a.k.a. Vanilla Moon) I've been growing this strain for a couple grows now and I absolutely LOVE it. Potency score is a 9.5 and my pheno has both the variegation and the lavender buds. The colors range from a fairly prominent lavender color on top to a lighter lavender color on the lower buds. Lower night/dark time temps always help to bring out the purple colors more. I love the flavor of this strain. Very smooth and mild like vanilla with slightly sweet floral undertones. This is my favorite strain right now. My pheno grows extremely stocky and compact bushes and flowers large dense buds. My outdoor plants flowered early and during the cold spring nights turned a darker shade of purple.

This is a pic of my Luna that is outdoors. It flowered when I put it outdoors this spring and is transitioning back to vegetative hence the tiny buds. You can see the purple coloration though as well as the leaf deformation and variegation in the growth.

[​IMG]

This is my plant indoors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is a pic from International Cannagraphic it's another pheno of the Luna showing variegation and some pink coloration.

[​IMG]

I also have DJ Short's Flo and Blueberry. Both of these strains also exhibited differing degrees of purple coloration. The Flo more so than the Blueberry. The Blueberry has a light lavender/blue hue to the tops of the buds. The Flo is still up inthe air for me as to whether or not I like it that much. I'm trying it outdoors to see if I like it better than I did indoors.

It seems that many of DJ Short's strains have varying degrees of purple/lavender coloration. I would definitely check out DJ Short. :thumbs-up: :bong-2:

11. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

I'll have to take pics of my unknown, the Purple Swamp Monster. It's Purple as FUCK! Not sure what it is, supposed to be some grandaddy purple cross. Not sure though that's just what the buddy who got the seed was told. He bought a sac in Louisiana and this was the only seed found in that once. We got lucky, it doesn't herm, it's purple as hell, can produce good yields if treated right, and is pretty damn potent. Oh and it's a true purple, no low temperatures required. When I show you the pics later some of you guys who aren't familiar with purples won't believe temps never got before 76 even with lights off. I'll go by and take some pictures today for you guys. You will see soo purple it almost looks black and average temps were 80-84*F.

To answer the actual question at hand. Purples tend to be less potent, than their green counter parts. That's not to say they are garbage or anything. Just most of the greens are better are photosynthesis, more efficient because they absorb more blue and red light than the purples. So in that turn yield and potency are both affected. The only thing better about a purple strain is the way it looks. Purple isn't near as common as green so the color alone adds some prestige to the bud. You can find some purples that are better than some green strains, but more than likely what you will find is that a green sister of a purple will more than likely be better.

Gratitude likes this.
  12. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I never said it had to be cold to get purples. Even when dealing with a true purple strains sometimes colder temps will get you more color.

Edit: Just a few pics of some purple strains I have gotten from the dispensaries in recent months.

"Deep Dark Purps"

[​IMG]

"Laker Kush" supposed to be a Grand Daddy Purple X OG Kush

[​IMG]

I got this from a friend It's Humboldt Purps

[​IMG]

All of these were "True Purple Strains" Usually if the purples are caused by cold temps but the strain has no purple tendencies the purples are inconsistent and tend to be on the leaves rather than the calyxes. At least that has been my observation.

13. skunky

Wasn't commenting on you at all. Didn't even see that you had even mentioned temps. Only reason I even said anything about temps is because probably 90% of the newer growers or people unfamiliar with purples seem to think you have to have the cold temps to get them which isn't true at all.

:thumbs-up:

Some of the stuff you posted looks pretty damn tasty. Out of the purps you've posted that PSM I have looks a lot like that Deep dark purps. Though the PSM looks a little more frosty, that could just be because of the picture. Hard to get the picture to do justice sometimes.

14. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I know that sounded defensive, huh? You're very right about newbies and thinking cold temps are mandatory for purple buds. I've heard it many times. "Isn't purple buds just buds that got too cold?" DUH..... No genetics are the main factor in producing color of any kind in buds. Cool temps just seem to intensify the colors in some strains.

Out of all those buds i posted pics of, The Laker Kush was the tastiest and most potent, closely followed by that Deep Dark Purps.

15. skunky

Uploading and adding pics of the Purple Swamp Monster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. SecretGrower420

SecretGrower420 Baked as fuck

damn that shit looks great!

17. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

Very nice purple budz Skunky! I've got a Purple Passion, I'm hoping will do something as pretty as your harvest. :)

Looks very tasty!:drooling:

Thanks for sharing the :cool-pix:

18. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII want it!

19. major

major Begun Flowering

Come on, I wanna put some fire on that shit:anibong:

20. lukesmommy

lukesmommy "lil doobie"

uh, yum skunky n ras!!!

lovin the purps!

Peace

-LM