Question about lights metal and ballast

Discussion in 'Outdoor Cultivation' started by Brad Caviness, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Brad Caviness

Brad Caviness New Member

I am wainting to know if this is crazy or do able? example if I have 1000/800/600W HPS/MH Hot Head Magnetic Ballast, just for example, is it possible to say run say 6 - 100 watt bulbs tied in together say a terminal strip, and then run back in. and then tie it into the ballast say for 600 watts. so you can run off into different tents? is this do able?

2. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Not exactly sure if it can be done but as long as I have been growing, besides security being number 1 issue, fire is number 2. I would be more afraid of that trying to rig up stuff and risk fire. Do you have any electrical experience?

3. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

In a word, no. One proper sized ballast to one proper sized bulb.

4. Brad Caviness

Brad Caviness New Member

YES I do I just wasn't sure if you could split the ballast like that
    thank you

5. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

the striking voltage would prob fry everything.

they do make a 1000 watt with a splitter that ran to two 600s, but never seen one in use. I think most bulb manufacturers would advise against any of that because each time I've dealt with hortilux they advise against using any dimmable ballast as the bulb won't burn correctly thus ruining bulbs and not giving plants what they need.

hell, hortilux ballasts aren't even dimmable unlike vast majority of the ballasts out there

6. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

This is not a good idea. Don't do it. :smokin: