Seed run

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by code green, Feb 24, 2016.

1. code green

code green Born To Grow

Hey guys,

I'm planning to do an outdoor autoflower grow this summer. Looking for people's experience with doing seed runs.

My idea is to try and get a seed run done early, and use those seeds for a grow starting in mid summer and ending in the fall.

So here's my question - if I do a seed run, how fast can I use those seeds? I know some seeds require a certain dormant period or temperature fluctuation before they will be viable. Is it the same with marijuana?

I'm thinking of starting 5-10 plants indoors in mid March and have them ready by June. Then use those seeds for an outdoor grow finishing up in the fall.

Since it's tight deadlines, I'm just wondering if I can use the seeds right away.

Anyone have experience with doing this?

If it is a viable option, I'll be sure to start a grow thread to keep everyone in the loop of how it works out.

Thanks!

2. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

I'm sorry maybe i'm missing something...seed run? are you saying you going to try and get seeds from autos then plant those second half of year?

why not just purchase the beans you need?

sorry i haven't a clue about autos, but get some fem beans or clones and do a normal run, specially if you're just trying to get seeds to from first run to begin with...because while my pollen chunkin is limited, basically there's no bud to be smoked on the prego buds...you tear up getting the beans..but it takes a few weeks to get viable seeds, they do have to dry etc so i'd say a month to be safe after harvest

unless i'm not understanding you

3. code green

code green Born To Grow

Yes a seed run.

For the way I grow, this is what I need, unless I want to drop $1000's on seeds.

In the past I've done seed runs with regular plants. Yielded thousands of seeds. I grow outdoors, and instead of taking the time to dig big holes and grow monsters, I go with a quantity over quality approach. This is mostly due to the remote area I plant them in.

If I plant 100 seeds I'm lucky to see 5 survive. Anybody growing outdoors in remote areas probably gets it. Deer, rabbits, bugs, flooding, drought...the list goes on. High casualties is what I experience, so I offset it with many many seeds, and remote multiple grow sites.

It's just a technique I use. People may not like it, but it takes minimal effort and it works for me.

Anyways back to the original question - how long before an autoflower seed run can have usable viable seeds. Looking for someone that has hopefully done this before, but I'll take any advice.

A few weeks to a month is kinda what I was thinking as well though. I've heard of people throwing seeds in the freezer to simulate winter and make them viable.

Again. Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

4. code green

code green Born To Grow

Side note - AF clones don't exist, and you can do a hell of a hash run from the seed plants!

5. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

I guess I'm still not understanding your goal.

Personally under those circumstances I would use clones, hell with one plant you can prob have prob more than enough clones in a couple months.

Hopefully someone is more helpful than I am on this issue, autos aren't my thing

6. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Assuming mature viable seeds, a couple weeks and you're good. You'll have both sexes though and in remote unfrequented gardens that means seeded weed. If that works for you then go for it.

Personally, I'd take a standard 7-8 week strain and fem seed a plant with colloidal silver. Then, if you get them scattered by mid June, any survivor of your planting style will be a fem plant with better THC ratios. Autos generally suck, the little extra effort would be well worth it.

7. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Hope this might help? Came from,

http://howtogrowmarijuana.com/breed-autoflowering-marijuana-seeds/

Breeding autos for seed production is the same as with regular cannabis plants. The age at which autoflowering strains exhibit their gender may vary from strain to strain and under different conditions. As a rule of thumb you can expect males to show their pollen sacs at around 4 weeks from germination and females to identify themselves at around 5 weeks. The methodology for sexing is the same as with regular plants.