Shits and giggles time with bench racing

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by ResinRubber, Jan 1, 2015.

1. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

We all got hobbies outside of the obvious one. One of mine is stuff that burns gas. Boats, bikes, cars 4x4's, and while never owning one, a deep appreciation of prop powered aircraft. Fast or slow, cool or eccentric, the main attraction is character. If an engine or vehicle has character, I dig it. So I'm hopin' the thread picks up in that vein.

In admin a member recently acquired a rig destined to be one of those you remember for life. Got me thinking....let's share a few out here. The ones that got away and you would want back today. Here's my first entry....

A 1974 Kaw H2 750 2-stroke. Rebuilt from the frame up. Gusseted the weak points, reworked the swing arm assembly for strength and needle bearings, taper head bearings instead of the shit roller from factory. Polished and balanced stage II ported engine breathing out Factory Pipe expansion chambers. It turned like shit, stopped like shit...but when wide out in the power band it was like 3 chain saws splitting your ears while a gorilla is trying to tear the handle bars from your fingers. God help you if your ass slides out of the seat pocket.... quite truly a brutal experience.

I want it back.:redbong:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Didnt evil k use that bike for a while?

Had a friend pick me up from jail at 4 am one night in OH 1988 on same kow, minus the mods, brought back alot of memories with those pics.

3. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Damn....750 2-stroke? Holy SHIT Batman! :5eek:

As Res mentioned....this rig is destined to be remembered. I will NOT be parting with this one any time soon. The fun has only begun.

My wife found this little gem for me and left it under the Christmas tree. Another reason I love her. She knows me so well. :thumbs-up:

1985 Toyota 4x4 w/22R, 4"suspension lift / 3" body lift, geared (yet to be determined) w/35" BFG AT's, locker in rear, front diff MAY be locked too...have to test to see. The oddest thing about it is the paint job. Someone painted it with a paint that has a stone type texturing. There were 4 cans of it left in the cab. So....I call her 'Stoney' :kidding:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My co-pilot. That's Badger, and he don't like people messin' with Stoney.

[​IMG]

It even came with a new license plate frame. My wife cracks me up sometimes. :roll:

[​IMG]

4. Psycho D

Psycho D LEE VAN SPLEEF

My winter project.

[​IMG]

A little further along paint wise. Debating on taking the lift out and a rear issue to contend with. But, the rest is ready freddy.

5. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

makes me feel like I'm the only married guy with kids here.

screw you guys, I'm looking under the kitchen sink for my testicles, I'm pretty sure that's where the wife put them

6. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

:roll:

Our kid finally flew the nest and took off to Arizona with her Fiance'. Amazing how much money we save now. :wtf?:

Nice rig Psycho. Always wanted me one of those big Broncos. That have the 351 in it?

7. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Sorry Res. You were looking for the one that got away. Here's mine...

'71 FJ40 with a 350 chevy conversion on 32" BFG Mud Terrains. This is THE only picture I have out of the hundreds I took while 4x4'n in this rig. The ex got all the other pictures and never returned them to me.You can see my ex-wife's '66 mustang in the background. While I miss the old Cruiser...that POS mustang can KMA! Hated that car. :321fu:

[​IMG]

8. Psycho D

Psycho D LEE VAN SPLEEF

390. It's a monster.

9. DXE

DXE Moderator

Herb - they come back :)

10. ResinRubber

Got a real soft spot for the old FJ40's. That looks like it was a sweet one.

A big block 390? Holy god! Definitely not a mall crawler.

11. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

I know...she already flew the coop once and came back. Fortunately the Fiance' has been going to school and just landed a job with BMW in Salt Lake City. Seeing how the kid likes her 'free rides'...she'll stay with him till the free meal ticket runs out. I hate to say it but that's how she is. She has him wrapped around her finger too. I tried warning him but he wasn't listening. Oh well....his funeral.

A 390? Damn son! I drove a friend's '68 mustang in high school once. That had the 390 in it too. After I got sideways coming around a corner she never let me drive it again. :roll:

12. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

Cool Thread :thumbsup: I'll post up some road racing pics from back in the day but I need to break out the scanner first. I do have a few hobby pics from days gone by that I'll share now though.. Many moons ago I was pretty heavy in flying Giant Scale Aerobatic model airplanes. These weren't the little Cox models we had as kids, no these were 40% scale models powered by 150cc aircooled boxer engines that would swing a 32"x10 pitch prop that would chop off your hand given half a chance. They were big and expensive but damn they were a lot of fun and just like this hobby, I met some of the nicest people. In fact that's were I met DXE & family.

Here I am chilling in the pits between flights, probably around 2008 or so.. If I'm not mistaken I believe that's DXE, Spawn and the Mrs. left of center...

[​IMG]

This isn't me but it's my trailer loaded to the gills with models (sorry not that kind of model) for a contest in FL. Tossed that one up to give you a good idea of how large a 40% model can be..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

[​IMG]

Who's the little dude ya got flying the thing?:roffl: Looks to be maybe 2 1/2 ft tall. :5eek:

But, that looks cool as hell!!

Be Cool, CG

14. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Those planes look like they are a LOT of fun! :coool:

15. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

I can fly it! I can fly it!

That little guy is Duc's ex-step-son-in-law. I believe they starved him from birth and strapped him in a bone inhibitor to get him to fit in the cockpit.

I used to race motocross. Started on CR 500's. Those things handled like a couch sliding down stairs. But man the power. Something close to 50 HP in a 250 lb vehicle.

16. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

FF you started MX on a CX500?!! holy shit dude those things were beasts. I've ridden my share of MX and road bikes and I can't imagine what a hand full starting out on one of those fuckers would be. :roffl: More than a few of them were converted to early hypermotards where they were quite competitive in the singles class at WERA and CCS road races.

Herb they were a lot of fun, almost too much fun, the kind of fun where people mistake your fun for an addiction. :roffl:

[YOUTUBE]y3dR4Jtr7w4[/YOUTUBE]

17. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

Yeah when I started riding in high school all the guys had 500s, either KX or CR. I got mine for riding the sandy tractor roads that wind around big 100 acre cornfields, then got into racing later. I raced that pig one season, then went down to a CR 250. I got the holeshot a lot but would overshoot the first turn or slide out cuz the thing wouldn't corner for shit. Hurricane Hannah made it look so easy!

Duc what was the range on those planes? I mean, could you fly one say 5 miles away to deliver mail or other crap?

18. ResinRubber

Those things must scream Duc. How fast they go?

19. DXE

DXE Moderator

They dont go that fast BUT seeing a 40 pound model airplane going striaght up at 70-80 MPH doing snap rolls is pretty cool.....One of my toys from back in the day.....lol - you think toys like CO2 controllers are pricey - when you pay $200+ for a propeller or 1K for a tuned exhaust - its all relative...... MVC01458.JPG

/monthly_2015_01/MVC01458.JPG.c651c878233deb042bad95a1a885ea01.JPG

20. Tiger Shark

Tiger Shark Profoundly Deep

Big ships that are still RIDICULOUSLY over powered :) Very nice. I flew gliders and glow engine powered in the '70's and '80's.