Tony's #10 - Cream Caramel, Kandy Kush, Crit. Jack & Sadhu

Discussion in 'Grow Log Forum' started by Tony Aroma, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Tony Aroma

Tony Aroma Let's Go - Two Smokes!

The Cream Caramel

Looking at the last group shot, I realized I didn't get the lines quite right. I got some of the Cream Caramel and Critical Jack buds mixed up. Here's the Cream Caramel with others blurred out. Main untopped cola is on the left.

[​IMG]

This reminded me of what the Cream Caramel looked like a few weeks ago. When I flipped to 12/12, it was the smallest of the bunch. Its lower branches were just poking above the screen. I was worried it was going to get shaded out. But since flowering started, those lower branches have had a serious growth spurt. Looks like this girl is going to be a respectable yielder after all.

2. Tony Aroma

Weird Critical Jack Smell

Last night, as I was fondling my girls, I noticed a very strange scent on my hand from the Critical Jack. Like nothing I've ever smelled from anything I've ever grown before. I don't even know how to describe it, other than a chemical smell. The first thing I thought was it's some kind of solvent. I think it smells a lot like lighter fluid!

Funny thing though, if I stick my nose in a bud, it doesn't smell at all like that. Just the usual, generic sweetness. It's only the sticky that rubs off on my hands when I brush against it that has that chemical smell. I sure hope it doesn't end up tasting like that.

3. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Tony that cream caramel looks awesome buddy... id love a smoke report on her when shes ready

4. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

A new favorite picture! Spectacular shot Tony. Mind if use this for a Youtube channel wallpaper?

5. Tony Aroma

Thanks. Stay tuned. My grow logs go from germination to final smoke report. This crop should be harvested, dried, and finished curing just in time for the holidays -- mid-late December. I'm nothing if not obsessive about finishing what I start.

Thanks. Be my guest. If you do use the pict for something, please send me a PM with the URL so I can see.

6. ResinRubber

7. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

Everything is looking real tasty Tony. Good job.

8. Tony Aroma

Wow, RR, that looks really cool!!! Cool videos too. MrGJ's plants look even more spectacular on video than in the stills.

One suggestion, crop out the white bar in the bottom of the pict, so it's all green from top to bottom, and will tile better.

9. ResinRubber

Thanks Tony, great suggestion. It's just a channel of GK garden videos. Post one up if your comfortable and I'll throw it in. :thumbs-up:

10. Tony Aroma

Update @ Day 54 of 12/12

We are definitely in the home stretch now. Not only has growth visibly slowed, but so has their thirst. They're still filling out, just starting to wind down now. And in my experience, once growth stops and they no longer need very much water, that's about when they are ready. Interesting that those two factors are better predictors of ripeness than brown hairs. IME.

For reference, here are the expected finish times:

Sadhu: 60-65 days, 11/20-11/25 (previous 2 grows, 62 & 64 days)

Cream Caramel: 56-65 days, 11/16-11/25

Kandy Kush: 56-63 days, 11/16-11/23

Critical Jack: 60-75 days, 11/20-12/5

I checked trichomes today and got a bit of a surprise. The Critical Jack had a fair amount of cloudy and even a few amber. Cream Caramel on the other hand is mostly still clear. I was expecting just the opposite. The Sadhu and Kandy Kush are maybe 50/50 clear/cloudy.

As far as harvest date, I hadn't realized that it is going fall on or near Thanksgiving. D'oh! Wish I'd realized that when I was deciding when to flip to 12/12. As a result, I may end up not chopping exactly when I'd like to. I'm not too worried as I don't think a few days one way or the other makes that much difference.

[​IMG]

Did I say the Critical Jack was frosty? You tell me.

[​IMG]

Then there's the Kandy Kush. Because it's so leafy, it's difficult to get a picture that shows its buds. They're really quite respectable in size, just not really frosty.

[​IMG]

Finally, Sadhu 1's main cola. It's tied down and laying over sideways. You can see that leaf with the bud on it right in the middle of the shot. I'm guessing both Sadhu are going to be the big yielders this crop. But who knows, since I'm really bad at eyeballing bud size.

One other thing, I never ceased to be amazed how good a carbon filter works. Outside the cabinet, nothing. As soon as I open the door, I'm almost knocked over by the smell. Such a wonderful invention!

Stay tuned, we are getting really close.

Midnight Garden likes this.
  11. Tony Aroma

Critical Jack Trichomes

Still checking trichomes and none are all that close. But getting there. I hate to say it, but I'd guess the harvest window is going to be around Wed-Fri of next week. The worst possible time. Actually, any time next week sucks. Going to be hard to find the 4-6 hours I'm going to need for trimming when I chop.

Here's a shot of the Critical Jack's trichomes at 54 days. You can clearly see some clear, some cloudy, and one or two amber. I was guessing this sativa-dominant plant was going to be the last to finish. Maybe not.

[​IMG]

12. Tony Aroma

Update @ Day 61 of 12/12

The time has come for some, and for others it's rapidly approaching. Before I get to that, one more group shot for old time's sake.

[​IMG]

The Cream Caramel and Kandy Kush started showing more amber trichomes in the last few days, so I decided that they need to die. I chopped both Kandy Kush yesterday, at day 61. Cream Caramel will come down today, and the others probably later this week. Looks kind of empty now with a big gaping hole in the middle of the screen.

[​IMG]

Here's Kandy Kush 1, total trimmed wet weight is 156.2 g.

[​IMG]

And here's Kandy Kush 2, total trimmed wet weight is 130.1 g.

As I suspected, the buds were pretty leafy, and after trimming looked a LOT smaller. Surprisingly, the trim went pretty quickly, taking about 90 minutes for both plants. The buds feel very dense and very heavy

I'm nothing if not a good estimator of final, dry weight based on harvest trimmed weight. My predictions are: Kandy Kush 1 = 27 g, and Kandy Kush 2 = 23 g. I'm guessing (hoping) these will be the lowest yielders of the group.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2011
  13. link420

link420 Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

lookin good, although visually, they look like they could have gone a little longer. You really need to clean your camera lens, its all smudged up

14. Tony Aroma

Yes, I noticed a blurred spot (a smudge on the lens from a too-extreme close up) in the upper-right of the last several photos I've taken. I thought I had it cleaned, but now I see it's still there. Do'h!!! After seeing these photos, I used alcohol and cleaned the lens thoroughly. I promise no more smudges in the future.

Not sure what you mean about them going a little longer. I generally harvest when the trichomes are mostly cloudy and just starting to turn amber. Both the Kandy Kush and the Cream Caramel are/were mostly cloudy with a few amber just starting to appear. I especially didn't want the KK to go too long as I believe it has the potential to be very couch-locky. And based on breeder's info and other grow reports (never grown these before), both the KK and CC are right in the middle of their harvest windows. We'll see.

BTW, I see I mislabeled the photos in my previous post (now corrected). Those are the Kandy Kush that I chopped.

15. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Tony, real nice man. :good job: Love the close up macro shot too.

16. Tony Aroma

Update @ Day 62 of 12/12

Another two bite the dust. I chopped the Critical Jack and Cream Caramel on day 62. Like the others, both had mostly cloudy trichomes and a few amber. The Critical Jack had been looking like that for a while, but the Cream Caramel just started turning amber in the past few days. I was kind of expecting the Critical Jack to take the longest, however I have seen reports of it finishing in as little as 60 days, so maybe it's not that surprising that it was ready so soon.

[​IMG]

Here's the Critical Jack, total trimmed wet weight is 129.6 g

[​IMG]

And here's the Cream Caramel, total trimmed wet weight is 130.3 g. That's the (untopped) main cola at the bottom.

Did I mention I'm really bad at guessing yield while they're alive. I was really thinking the Critical Jack was going to be way bigger than the Cream Caramel, and the Kandy Kush would likewise be on the small side. Turns out they're all about the same, with a KK being the current weight leader.

I'm also starting to think my estimates of dry weight are a little low. Looking at some old photos and yield data, I'm thinking these might end up a little heavier than I originally thought. I'm now predicting that 130 g wet will translate into around an oz dry. Although this will be a respectable yield, it will not be as massive as I had thought before.

Four down and two Sadhu to go. Remember, I predicted those would be the biggest yielders. I'll know soon. And so will you. Please stay tuned.

17. Warped1

Warped1 Germinating

Nice Tony, it looks like you'll have a toasty Christmas. Take care

18. link420

link420 Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

I just thought that the buds looked like they could have filled in a bit more, but you're right to harvest if the trichs are ready. I especially like the looks of the Cream Caramel, and that Critical Jack looks super frosty :thumbs-up:

19. Tony Aroma

I wish they would have filled in a bit more. :( But in addition to the trichomes, their growth had slowed considerably and they were no longer very thirsty. In my experience, all three of these factors coming together means they're ready. Over the last week or so, the only ones still growing noticeably were the Sadhu. The Cream Caramel and Critical Jack in particular had pretty much stopped growing all together. The Kandy Kush were so leafy, it was hard to tell.

20. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Tony

Going to have a very merry christmas.... that CJ is snow covered and the CC looks quite yummy. Great job man