Worm farm

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Bje4201, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Bje4201

Bje4201 Vegetating

I recently made a worm farm for my garden plot. It's very simple to make and will supply you with plenty of free castings.

Supplies:

I used a 2'x3'x2' tub but you can make your own box if you like.

Non glossy newspaper shredded into strips

Organic material like grass clippings and vegetable kitchen scraps

Drill

1/4" drill bit

Some dirt for layers-not required

Big fat hooter,lol

First, take your drill and put some air holes in the sides of your "farm" box. You don't need a lot, just some for drainage and air to keep the layers fresh.

Next, take some dirt-if using any- and put a small layer on the bottom of your container.

After that, put a layer of your shredded newspaper, it needs to be rough paper. None of the glossy adds. This provides food for your worms and is easy to acquire.

Next layer I used some half composted grass clippings I had in a pile, more food.

Another layer of dirt if using, then I put some scraps I had- eggshells, lettuce scraps, things like that.

Now for worms, I went and bought a 12 worm night crawler container used for fishing. These are available around any lake and walmarts.

I also dug some wild worms out of the garden. The wild ones are the best to use as they seem to be more active and adaptable to new environments.

You will need a lid for your farm, and keep in a semi cool dark place. Also keep the mix moist, but not soaked as they will drown.

As the worms eat you will need to add more organic food matter-more newspaper and scraps. When adding food place to one side and lightly cover the matter.

After a while you will be able to harvest the castings. Simply scoop all the material to one side and the bottom layer of the container should be your castings. Repeat for the other side.

This is the first time I've made one so any input, suggestions and added info is highly welcomed. I'll update how it goes.

Here is the end result. I forgot to take pics as I went.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JuggaloKing420

JuggaloKing420 Just clownin around

Whats the newspaper for?

3. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

Food.

4. Bje4201

Bje4201 Vegetating

Yep, I found a thread here a while back that had a link to another site that had a more detailed version. Or it was a link in someone's signature, I can't remember. I think the other site was icmag but idk so I did a thread myself from what I remembered. I did a shorter simpler version with my details. So if I remember or find the link again I'll post it, or If anyone has it knows it and can post it please do.

5. Bje4201

Bje4201 Vegetating

Yep, it's used for food.

6. Bje4201

Bje4201 Vegetating

7. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I've been thinking of trying to make a little worm farm. To add to my compost and for making teas. One less thing to buy is always nice. From what I have read it's pretty easy. Just feed the worms and they do all the work.

8. Bje4201

Bje4201 Vegetating

Ya that's about why I made one. As hard as it is to get the stuff needed to make a tea or nice soil and how expensive it is, I figured this will help our with one less expense. Found a couple dead ones this afternoon. They were night crawlers. Not sure if it was the temp change since they're refrigerated, or cause I let the bedding dry out a little to much before wetting it down again. Oh well, plenty more where they came from. The rest are healthy and cruising all around their new home.

9. wwboy

wwboy pro grow!

wwboy

worm farm is great....ive been worming for quite a long time and have them EVERYWHERE....in my grow bags/recycled soil bin/outside in compost bins...ill harvest a plant and pull the root ball out of the grow bag to add to my recycle bin and worms can been seen crawling all in there...great source of nitrogen that wont burn yer plants and with them in there they make oxygen more available to the roots with all there burrows and such...they eat only decaying stuff and leave healthy roots alone...i see much much more natural and healthier growing plants in every stage of there life to where i cant emagine ever not having them around...your going to get addicted to em if you keep at it...id suggest shredding the newspaper and use sissors to cut veg scraps small before adding to there bin...also buy some (red wigglers) from the bait store or other...those worms are the best for bins and can not only eat a large amount of kitchen scraps but reproduce fast as well...i see some peeps on here that make great teas too....just nothing but good stuff with worms my freind...yer gonna love em.

10. Bje4201

Bje4201 Vegetating

Hey thanks for checking it out. Ya know, I did shred the newspaper into like 2" strips, but after I wet it down and mixed it around it all clumped together. Next feeding ill shred it better. I'll have to see about the red wigglers. Most all they have are night crawlers around here. But I think Walmart might have some. Thanks, appreciate it