Correct use of Superthrive

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by JesseJamesBond, Nov 3, 2010.

1. JesseJamesBond

JesseJamesBond Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

So here we are again people, started up 4 more plants and they are a flourishing! They've reached the 6-8 inch mark, in 6" pots running pro-mix+shrimp compo+bat guano.

I want to top all 4 babies. I learned through discussion with my hydro store fellas that I severely miss used Superthrive my last go around. I was using it on a regular basis rather than only to help with shock recovery. NOW I KNOW how and why my plants got SCORCHED with nute burn!

So my question is this:

What is the correct way to use Superthrive when transplanting and/or supercropping (topping)? Am I to add it along with the rest of my nute regiment or should I simply use SuperT and water for a smoother recovery?

Thanks all!

Peace,

JJb

:passsit:

2. nuggnester

nuggnester Pot & Poker Enthusiast

I'd say if you are transplanting maybe forgoe the nutes the first watering or two and use the superthrive. Great stuff, BTW.

3. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Fill us in on the nute burn of your plants. Do you think it was caused by useing the superthrive? I use a small amount in my aero cloner and have noticed it will drive the ph up rapidly. It does however not contain any nutes.
    Teamster6

4. bamboo

bamboo Veggy Stage

:anibong:HI JESSE I USE IT OR MY SEEDLINGS AND SOAKING ANY SEEDS OVERNIGHT.MY YOUNG PLANTS GET A FEW DROPS EVERY TWO WEEKS .IT SEEMS TO GIVE THEM A BIT OF A BOOST AND IT WILL HELP THEM HANDLE STRESS BETTER.I STOP WHEN THEY GO TO THE FLOWER ROOM.:beerchug-2:

5. THSea

THSea Filthy Floozie

Hey JJB. I've always just mixed 1 capful of ST into a gallon of water. I used it every other watering, mixed in with my nute regimen, balanced the pH of said mixture before watering and never had any negative results. Maybe I was just lucky? I also used ST and fertilized immediately when I transplanted. Again, never had any negative results. I think it just comes down to different strains being more or less finicky and making sure not to over-do it with the ferts / chems. Balancing pH everytime you water also helps tremendously.

:passsit:

6. luvtogrow

luvtogrow Veggy Stage

1 capful per gallon of water is a gigantic amount imo, a damaging amount.

7. JesseJamesBond

JesseJamesBond Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Well...

A cap full per gallon does sound a like a bit much. I once put 1ml into 1 liter and scorched the shit outta my plants, but who knows... It would also help to know what size bottle of ST you use. They come in 4-5 sizes, so if you have the tiny lil 3-4oz bottle like I do its one thing. If you buy it a quart at a time, its totally another...

8. SirStynkalot

SirStynkalot A Fat Sticky Bud

you're kidding, right?

you're supposed to use either 1 or 5 drops per gallon. it may alter the Ph at those levels you put in, sure, but in recommended doses for potted plants it doesn't. a capful is enough for a big ass tree.

Superthrive is basically male plant hormones. think plant testosterone. you are growing female plants. if you put superthrive on seeds, you are more likely to get hermies or male plants. I don't use my superthrive anymore, but if I were to use it on anything it would basically be 1 drop per gallon in a bubble or aero cloner. developing roots on plants that are already sexed, well before they go into flowering.

if you want massive stress reducers for transplanting, look into beneficial bacteria or B vitamin supplements. more expensive but much safer to the plant's genetics and much better results.

as an aside, superthrive also delays flowering. don't know if you guys realized that, but, as I recall, if you use superthrive on seeds or young unsexed plants, they ideally need to get at least 6 weeks old in order to make the transition to flowering smoothly.

THIS PRODUCT IS DESIGNED FOR ORNAMENTALS AND VEGETABLES, NOT MARIJUANA.

In other words, IMO the correct use of Superthrive is... not at all.

If you're transplanting, I have no idea. I'd split the difference, use half of full strength nutes, and light SuperT.

9. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

Who told you that? Male plant hormone?

True, ST has plant hormones and vitamins etc, but its no plant testosterone! ST is like vitamin tables for humans. It has zero nute value, but is supposed to encourage fast growth and help with stress.

It in NO WAY will cause a seed to be male or hermie!

I’ve never seen plants get fried by it either. I’ve seen numerous grows that have used ST start to finish and at every watering at the amounts stated on the bottle. Each and every grow had zero problems and def no hermies.

ST is a bit of a hype product if you ask me. Just look at the bottle and the card it comes attached too, but it’s not uber dangerous to MJ.

SirStynkalot likes this.
  10. zog

zog Developed Alternating Nodes

I have used ST on a limited basis. Basically when transplanting,only use about 2-3 drops per gallon,and honestly cant tell if it made a difference or not,all i know is the stuff smells like shit.

11. SirStynkalot

SirStynkalot A Fat Sticky Bud

I heard that from a few different hydro store workers... 2-3 different ones. Thanks Skuzzi, now I know. I knew it had vitamins as well as male plant hormones, but was thinking the hormones were harmful.

12. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

as far as i knew ST has no nutes so im thinking its unlikely to cause any burn... my guess is that ST is similar to an enzyme or vitamin product... I know AN makes a stress reducer called No Shock which ive used to help my near death plants recover... IMO seeing the company gives you no clue what is in it nor how it works... just some very bold across the board statemnts on a poorlu printed card... if the company can tell you whats in it i suggest not using it...

just my .02 take it for what its worth

BB

13. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

I've tried to find out what is in it in the past, and the best I can tell is that it has rooting hormones and B3. So basically it isn't really needed that badly in my opinion.