This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding plants sugar?

I recently read an article in High Times which talked about feeding plants Sucanat (Sugar Cane Natural.) This is a form of dark raw sugar which is a sweetener for foods. The writter states that this will increase the brix content in plants and add a sweeter almost caramel aroma to your buds. I plan on feeding my pants this and was wondering if anyone is already doing so? If you are how early are you giving your plants this and how often? The article said to use about a tsp per gallon of water but did not say anything about if it should be used during veg and how often to use it. Thanks for any feedback

Ive heard that

I heard that you could feed you plants sugar water and it would make them sticker but i dont know i just heard that kinda like the stoner friends that tell you how your pot has been growed. If it does work let us know.
    Growin' weed with sunlight.. Its GREEEEEEEEEEEAT! lol http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20412
    Check out my Babies!

Comment

yes.. and all white seeds are female too!
      ... you jus got smoked

Comment

Rofl

Most white seeds prolly dont germinate.
        Growin' weed with sunlight.. Its GREEEEEEEEEEEAT! lol http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20412
        Check out my Babies!

Comment

sugar is a carbohydrate adn will add to the over all yield of your crop...ie carboload is sugars.....sugars also act as a great food source for bene's..."a carmel taste" is just plain retarded. .carmel is burned sugar

Comment

i don't give a shit what high times says...sugars to the root system is a bad thing..it only causes root rot and decay, because you can bever get it out of the soil fully again....don't put sugar water in your soil...it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Comment

I add 1/4 cup of molasses to 5 gallons of worm tea to feed the micro-organisms and have seen no ill effects to the plants. I know the bacteria aren't eating it all because you can still smell it. I have never seen any ill effects and I've been using it for a few years now every time I water. The only difference I see in the plants is denser foliage and thicker stems. It doesn't really have an effect on the bud's taste or smell. There might be a little difference in size...

Comment

ive never used molasis or sugar but i would listen to MIKEY84. he has never pointed me in the wrong direction, and is usually dead balls acurate with his info. and my own thoughts are that some peeps just mess with there plants too much. just let em grow. get some good ferts, and u wont have to try crap like sugar water. they make a product called sweet leaf, and that is what i would use for sweater buds. leave the sugar alone.
                IVE BEEN THROUGH ALOT OF GOOD WOMEN, AND SHOOK OL JIM BEAMS HAND.
                IF I NEVER SEE THE PEARLY GATES, IVE WALKED THROUGH THE PROMISE LAND.
                IF HEAVEN AINT ALOT LIKE DIXIE, I DONT WANNA GO....

HANKWILLIAMS JR.

Comment

Perhaps a brief explanation is due...wadda ya' say...

...This may be quite silly to ask...but that's why I am who I am...don't question the wisdumb of ages surfacing for a laugh...but what in the sam hill is...:

..."usually dead balls accurate"...

...is this sumsorta new way a sayin'...that sumone is really schmart...really like on the cash...cuz' if so...I's gets it...I think...just was not sure if yer' talkin' like dead nads...or like a ball outa play in sum sportin' event...kneedless to say...the sayin' has a stingin' ring to it fer' sum reason...for me anyways...thought I would share...and that concludes the silly side of high...

...DC for THC...

...Repeat after me...It's only a screen...it's only a screen... DC (1962- )

Comment

molassas and sugar (granulated are two diff things)....you add sugar to your water you will regret it..plain and simple I will give you some threads where yaa'll can check the info for yourself in a few minutes i just gotta find them again...B/c i asked the question before myself and after mucho research i didn't do it...molassas or sugar..if you wanna feed the GOOD microorganisms then higve them a nice shot of hydrogen peroxide in the watering.The good organisms live off oxygen and the more of that there is the better....molassas and sugar not only feeds the good organisma but feeds the bad ones two and is a breeding ground for root rot...

Comment

The purpose of photosynthesis is to strip the carbon off atmospheric co2 and use it in the synthesis of the carbohydrates (primarily the cellulose that makes up the rigid structure of the plant) necessary for energy growth. It's a quite complex system requiring a lot of input energy (sunlight) and many specialized enzymes. Why would this exist if a plant could simply absorb the necessary carbohydrates through the roots? There is a type of plant like structure that doesn't use photosynthesis and can absorb and metabolize carbohydrates from its surroundings, it's called a fungus. So if you would like to grow fungus with your plants, adding simple sugars to your nutrient solution would be an ideal way to accomplish this. And just in case there are any idiots reading this, FUNGAL INFECTIONS KILL PLANTS. You should pay attention in bio class you might actually learn something.

Comment

Originally posted by craqqhead
                        The purpose of photosynthesis is to strip the carbon off atmospheric co2 and use it in the synthesis of the carbohydrates (primarily the cellulose that makes up the rigid structure of the plant) necessary for energy growth. It's a quite complex system requiring a lot of input energy (sunlight) and many specialized enzymes. Why would this exist if a plant could simply absorb the necessary carbohydrates through the roots? There is a type of plant like structure that doesn't use photosynthesis and can absorb and metabolize carbohydrates from its surroundings, it's called a fungus. So if you would like to grow fungus with your plants, adding simple sugars to your nutrient solution would be an ideal way to accomplish this. And just in case there are any idiots reading this, FUNGAL INFECTIONS KILL PLANTS. You should pay attention in bio class you might actually learn something.
                        Yes true its called carbon fixation and as for needing many enzymes to make it possible WRONG! It only needs first dihydrogen monoxide reductase(noncyclic photosynthesis), NADP+ reductase(both cyclic and noncyclic), and RuBP carboxylase(carbon fixation), also yes the fungi will eat the sugar since that will be the easiest available carbon source for it to thrive on, but not all fungus is bad mycorrhiaze is a good fungal relationship between the hypae of the fungi and the roots of the plant and provide better uptake of nutrients and can also cause a slight acceleration in growth. If you don't believe me look into legumes and orchids for a good example, hell you can't even germinate an orchid seed without a slight film of fungi forming over the seed. Also, they sell capsuls at the nursery containing the spores for such a relationship. Mold is a more harmful form of fungi for plants and most deadly disease causing agents are viroids which only affect plants and are comprised of circular RNA and prions which are infectious proteins that can also have affects on animals some of the most common being mad cow disease. Although some don't seem too bad and only result in things such as color spoted leaves like red and yellow tulips or the yellow spoted mosaic virus of the tobacco and don't appear to have any effect on the growth or fertility of the plant but if the plant is a fruit bearing angiosperm the fruit will be more than likely no good. So all in all you could do this sugar water thing and possibly create a mycorrhiaze but i'm not sure if i would just add it to a potted plant that hasn't had the spores introduced into the soil, then you would be feeding whatever else may find its way in there which may not be good especially if you have been sick or anything you might be feeding bacteria that may culture itself in your pots and you never know man bacterial generations are thousands a day easy so the bacteria might actually mutate to the point it finally does something to the plant . So not trying to sound rude but man you should have taken a bio class for science majors!
                        What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

Oh and I found Jesus! He was hiding behind the sofa the whole time!

OG breeding FAQs
                        http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35076

Strain Lineage List
                        http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33084

Chop the tree, smoke the tree!

Comment

Originally posted by mikey84
                          i don't give a shit what high times says...sugars to the root system is a bad thing..it only causes root rot and decay, because you can bever get it out of the soil fully again....don't put sugar water in your soil...it's a disaster waiting to happen.

I concur, I have done the sugar test, and find no benefits. I use my sugar for other things. If you study your roots afterwards, you will also concur.

Comment

like i said it 's a cruel joke..nothing can increase yeild except good growing practices....i believe the ? has been answered

Comment

Originally posted by geheim
                              I concur, I have done the sugar test, and find no benefits. I use my sugar for other things. If you study your roots afterwards, you will also concur.
                              Yeah i was just stating some stuff after craqhead to straighten a few things but i agree with mikey as well to an extent, but granulated sugar and and molasses aren't really that much different, mollasses comes from either sugar cane or beet. The main difference really is that mollasses is 50% or so sucrose by weight with glucose and fructose as well as calcium, and potassium, thats one of the main things that make it better that it has more than just 99% sucrose like white sugar does, which is harder to break down compared to glucose especially. One other cool thing about molasses is that it can be used as a chelating agent, for instance like coke-a-cola will eat away the oxidation on your battery terminals molasses will eat iron oxide(Fe2O3) or rust right off. Like Mikey said ealier and i over looked was the statement about the H202 to keep the beneficial organisms in check, yes this is absolutely true but it can also keep other fungi alive as well since ALL fungi do aerobic respiration so like i said that goes to show you that most of your concerns are with anaeorbic organisms which consist mainly of bacteria and not necessarily with fungi. Don't get me wrong they can kill in some cases but for the most part fungi are beneficial towards plants through symbiotic relationships. Adding H202 doesn't really do anything dirrectly with viruses though since viruses aren't living, although it does affect the viruses more properly called prophages indirectly by killing the host bacteria then the virus is pretty much dormant since it only has the glycoprotein receptors to enter the previous target cell and it can't self replicate to continue its progeny unless inside a host self and active, or also by being inactive and being replicated as the cells divide and replicate through mitosis. But more than likely since the prophage has no home its going to dessicate and die, but the bacteria however have endospores that are ment to withstand extreme enviroments to reproduce. Thats why bacteria can be found in any enviroment. The fungi we have to worry about the most though seriously is Phymatotrichopsis omnivora which is the soil borne fungi responsible for root rot and is mainly caused by overwatering. The reason it occurs is not to kill the plant cause it will go away once the soil has dried out enough it main happens as a part of nutrient cycling in the ecosystem, because due to the overwatering the plants water potential is greatly changed to that the plant is almost performing reverse diffusion and going from the higher concentrated area(the plant) to the lower concentrated (soil) since this is happening the plant is starting to die and the detrivore Phymatotrichopsis omnivora simply starts to munch at the roots to eventually restore nutrients to the soil. Well i'm not really sure exactly where i was going with this now, thats what i get for blabbing about this shit stoned i guess! Well atleast its a little food for thought hopefully it makes some sense cause i really don't feel like reading it over for typos.
                              What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

Oh and I found Jesus! He was hiding behind the sofa the whole time!

OG breeding FAQs
                              http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35076

Strain Lineage List
                              http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33084

Chop the tree, smoke the tree!

Comment

Working...
                              X