To PINCH or not to PINCH?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To PINCH or not to PINCH?

Years of flower gardening has taught me to pinch back new growth to encourage "splitting"(two for the price of one!) as well as bushyness. Is pinching good or bad for MJ?
    Another question...I just read a post saying to NOT remove leaves, but to let them get dry and fall off on their own. But Ive also heard that removing BIG leaves at the time of flowering enables the plant to use it's energy for flower production rather than having to divert energy toward keeping leaves happy. There seems to me to be some logic in that....for sure, if I remove lots of leaves (half or more) from my tomatoes, I get MANY more and MUCH bigger tomatoes.

Im not saying MJ is a tomato! Im just saying this fact supports the remove-some-leaves-at-flowering theory.

Last year I DID pinch my Big Buds when they had the first four real leaves and of the ten plants, five DID form a "split", giving me two main stalks. But, I didnt do any further pinching and I wonder if I should have? They could have def been bushier. All but the double-stalkers were pretty sparse. I realize now I didnt have nearly enough light and that could have been the problem...But THIS time I want BUSHY boogers! So, to pinch or not to pinch?

the Dixie Hicky

i believe you are refering to "low stress training" which is when u tie down your plants to encourage the plant to grow bushy. info on LST can be found in the FAQ section of the forums.

IMO LST is good if you know what your doing.
    Last edited by smurf420; 04-08-2009, 09:10 AM.

Comment

I think you have the leaf theory backwards. The roots absorb energy, or nutrients, and store it in the leaves. The leaves feed the buds, then dry up and fall off when all of their energy has been consumed.

In my experience pinching works very well with MJ.

Pinch away ...but don't remove fan leaves

Comment

Originally posted by Dixie Hicky
        Years of flower gardening has taught me to pinch back new growth to encourage "splitting"(two for the price of one!) as well as bushyness. Is pinching good or bad for MJ?
        Another question...I just read a post saying to NOT remove leaves, but to let them get dry and fall off on their own. But Ive also heard that removing BIG leaves at the time of flowering enables the plant to use it's energy for flower production rather than having to divert energy toward keeping leaves happy. There seems to me to be some logic in that....for sure, if I remove lots of leaves (half or more) from my tomatoes, I get MANY more and MUCH bigger tomatoes.

Im not saying MJ is a tomato! Im just saying this fact supports the remove-some-leaves-at-flowering theory.

Last year I DID pinch my Big Buds when they had the first four real leaves and of the ten plants, five DID form a "split", giving me two main stalks. But, I didnt do any further pinching and I wonder if I should have? They could have def been bushier. All but the double-stalkers were pretty sparse. I realize now I didnt have nearly enough light and that could have been the problem...But THIS time I want BUSHY boogers! So, to pinch or not to pinch?

the Dixie Hicky
        IMO, many strains don't respond well to topping or pinching to make them split, and there are better ways to train a plant. Low-stress-training, in all it's forms, is a great way to train your plants without having to cut or top them. People train for different reasons though. Some train the plants to produce several main colas, some train for an even canopy, and some train to keep the height down due to height constraints in their grow area.

Pinching, or Supercropping, the stems just enough to break the inner stem structure will cause them to rebuild themselves stronger, along with providing a better nutrient "highway" for the plant above the pinched area. I pinch my plants till they can't be pinched anymore, and my stems are rock hard.

Removing fan leaves during any stage of growth is a bad idea, especially in flowering. Not only do the fan leaves work to convert light into energy, but they also store the nutrients/sugars that the plant needs to grow. Removing fan leaves will only stress the plant and slow growth, and potency and yeild will suffer.

Hope this helps. Much more info on LST and Super-cropping can be found in the FAQ's, along with a wealth of other info. Good luck!
        "Never trust quotes you find on the Internet"
        - Abraham Lincoln

No Smell, No Tell
        NO CELL!

Comment

My experience with different strains is limited. I've only grown three different strains over the past ten years or so.

That said, I always top my plants. By FIMMing the new growth the plants always...always..have given me at least two new stems and sometimes four new stems emerge from a single pinch.

Here is a link to some info on FIMMing.

http://www.drugs-forum.com/growfaq/1269.htm

http://www.drugs-forum.com/growfaq/727.htm

cheers,
          “Many people die at twenty five and aren't buried until they are seventy five.” Benjamin Franklin

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty and wisdom will come to you that way."Christopher Hitchens

"When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden." Minnie Aumonier

"In the early days of the Republic, it would have been unthinkable that Congress could prohibit the local cultivation, possession, and consumption of marijuana.” Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, Dissenting Opinion Raich v Gonzales

VCSMC

Comment

From my experience topping plants grew less weed. I ended up with less branches on the plant. 18 big thick colas or 8 big thick colas after topping at the sixth node. That is relitivly speaking.

Comment

I've grown several strains side by side, one topped, the other lst'd to produce 5-8 colas. Their environments and all other variables were kept the same, and the topped plants never once came close to the yeild of the lst'd plants.
              - Abraham Lincoln

No Smell, No Tell
              NO CELL!

Comment

Originally posted by theCarpenter
                I've grown several strains side by side, one topped, the other lst'd to produce 5-8 colas. Their environments and all other variables were kept the same, and the topped plants never once came close to the yeild of the lst'd plants.
                I hear ya carpenter. Others swear by it and i still don't understand how they get more weed by topping the plants. I just got less branches that = less weed.

I am totally against topping. I just will argue with peeps like no other subject when it comes to topping. Yea i heard that its strain related. What 1 strain is it because i have not seen it. I am now argueing with myself. I need a chiclet to calm down.

Comment

I haven't even seen an MJ plant split by pinching (in my experience). As Norm said it just makes the stalk thicker and makes the nodes more compact allowing for more bud sites.
                  Topping 2 divide the stalk I don't do on outdoor plants because it's kinda pointless and waste energy in the growth process. Indoor, I'll usually top once then LST the two main stems for space conservation. I like them to look like rams horns. It's asthectically fun and it maximizes production when your only growing 1 or 2 plants in a small space.
                  I'd also suggest reading up on LST if you want a nice bushy plant.

Comment

Pinching and bending is the key to a bountiful harvest. You can look at my threads and pics of plants if you want proof.
                    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

Oh and I found Jesus! He was hiding behind the sofa the whole time!

OG breeding FAQs
                    http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35076

Strain Lineage List
                    http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33084

Chop the tree, smoke the tree!

Comment

The following pics are a clone and the flowered mother of the clone. The mother was NOT fimmed and the clone was.

The plant in the foreground was fimmed three times and has 12 separate budsites.

This is the mum. It was grown as a single cola plant.

I guess it comes down to what you are looking for, but for number of budsites and consistant quality of buds my money is on fimming. Choose for yourself.

cheers,
                      “Many people die at twenty five and aren't buried until they are seventy five.” Benjamin Franklin

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty and wisdom will come to you that way."Christopher Hitchens

"When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden." Minnie Aumonier

"In the early days of the Republic, it would have been unthinkable that Congress could prohibit the local cultivation, possession, and consumption of marijuana.” Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, Dissenting Opinion Raich v Gonzales

VCSMC

Comment

Try that experiment with LST instead of just one main cola, and then see how your yeild is. Nice lookin' plants reguardless RR.
                        - Abraham Lincoln

No Smell, No Tell
                        NO CELL!

Comment

What does pinching have to do with fimming? "Pinching" is physically squeezing stems and branches during vegging.
                          Last edited by HappyHappyHighGuy; 04-07-2009, 11:16 PM.

Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

*Medicinal Strain List

HHHG's L.E.D. Garden
                          Hempy Style Bonsai Mums
                          *How to make Cannabis Tincture
                          *Mother Tubbard (stealth mother/clone box)
                          *Listing of the best DIY thread/tutorial on Growkind

How to refuse police searches

Comment

ancient Chinese secret...

LST + long veg time = maximum budz
                            Last edited by HappyHappyHighGuy; 04-07-2009, 11:32 PM.

Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

*Medicinal Strain List

HHHG's L.E.D. Garden
                            Hempy Style Bonsai Mums
                            *How to make Cannabis Tincture
                            *Mother Tubbard (stealth mother/clone box)
                            *Listing of the best DIY thread/tutorial on Growkind

How to refuse police searches

Comment

Originally posted by HappyHappyHighGuy
                              What does pinching have to do with fimming? "Pinching" is physically squeezing stems and branches during vegging.
                              Absolutely nothing HHG.

I brought up FIM because in the original post he said he wanted "bushy buggers", and this is how I get my plants bushy. Of course old arguments surface as soon as different training techniques are discussed.

Sorry if I jacked the thread.

cheers,

VCSMC

Comment

Working...
                              X