air cooled tubes Vs air cooled hoods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air cooled tubes Vs air cooled hoods

Well I thought i would put the question out there for a few comments on both and which is better as far as total light output/Lumens

Both are ducted with cool air running
    which works better

air cooled hoods 6" or air cooled tubes. looking for a comment from someone who has used both.

Room is not an issue in this one. Just want best light coverage
    hydrorookie

A hood proly has better coverage, but really they are pretty much gonna do the same job.

read every post in the faq ull need to eventually so might as well get it overwith that way ull know what to expect and be prepared for the oopss that come on every single first grow since the dawn of time/miracle grow is composed of slow release chemical nutrients,as the plant starts flowering its need for N drops and need for P increases but the nutes available in the soil remain high in N and low in P and ur plant dies = N Burn

My gallery
    http://forum.growkind.com/gallery/se...hp?searchid=30

Comment

hoods will give you wider spread of light. Cool tubes tend to go more straight down for better light penetration on the canopy. Just a matter of personal choice. Myself I prefurr the cool tubes.

:beerchug-2:
      Teamster6

Comment

It is the room that is the issue here. If you need a large foot print cool tubes suck.
        Yeah, I smoke Soapbar with lots of bits of plastic,
        I leaves mine in it cause it tastes fantastic,
        Skunk costs too much, I can’t see the appeal,
        Of smoking Port Rocky, Soapbar or Gold Seal,
        Smoke Rocky in a bong, bucket or hot-knives,
        Bake it in a cake for your mam as a surprise,
        I smoke Green, and its gone in an instant,
        But Soapbar last, cause it’s fucking consistent!

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSkuzzi
          It is the room that is the issue here. If you need a large foot print cool tubes suck.
          What he said. Although cool tubes take care of the heat a little easier IMO.

Comment

cool tubes vs hoods

thank you for the replies:

As I suspected the tubes are good for limited space applications and want more lights. I will stick with the current layout of hoods .

Adding more and just wanted another persons opinion.
            hydrorookie

Comment

No one even mentioned the effects of air flow. The hood will offer less resistance on your exhuast, unless you have a cool tube that's 6" in diameter or something. Putting a cool tube on your system can be like putting a kink in a hose. You decrease the diameter and that dampens the air flow. The hood is more open and the light it self doesn't really even add any resistance like it does in a cool tube. Cool tubes are really just a poor mans air cooled hood, the only reason companies even sell them is because they saw an opportunity to make something cheap and sell it for much more money. They aren't scientifically any better, they are actually worse because like I've said the diameter on them is very big so that decreases your total amount of volume and you have your light inside the tube that decreases the amount of space for the volume of air to move through causing the system to pressurize.

Air cooled hood all the way, better coverage, better air flow, and you can get better canopy penetration because with a good exhaust you can get a air cooled hood even closer than a cool tube and if you get the right kind of hood you can adjust the position of the light to widen or narrow the light coverage giving you better coverage or penetration depending on what you see fit.

In short, cool tubes = junk when compared to an air cooled hood.
              What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

Oh and I found Jesus! He was hiding behind the sofa the whole time!

OG breeding FAQs
              http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35076

Strain Lineage List
              http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33084

Chop the tree, smoke the tree!

Comment

Thats great info, I thought cool tubes would be better. Glad I have an air cooled hood and didn't go buy a cool tube.

Comment

Fuck i was just about to buy the fuckin tube today and now im thinking about it. But the hoods are like twice the price tho?!?! IDK i dont have room foe one of them big ol hoods. Nice thread guys!
                  Disclaimer: The text and pictures posted by this user are entirely fictional. All pictures have been obtained from a country in which cultivation and possession of cannabis is 100% legal. All posts are for entertainment purposes and does not reflect the views or beliefs of this user.:
                  ^LMMFOA YEAH RIGHT THATS A CROCK OF SHIT HAHA^

Comment

boa, look at craigslist.. Always a good deal there.
                    Pure Power Plant ~ Lemon Skunk
                    Mango x G13 Widow ~ White Chunk Skunk ~ Viper Diesel

Next Cycle In Veg
                    Jack The Ripper x Black Rose ~ Super Silver Sour Diesel Haze x Viper Diesel

Black Rose F7 x Ken's Grand Daddy Purple ~ Viper Diesel ~ Mango x G13 Widow

Comment

Found an even better one for a nice flowhood not a cooltube. Paid $70 for the hood and $18 for the socket. So thats $88 for a hood that usta run about $150 for just the hood. Works sweet with my 400w HPS and i dont even have the exhaust hooked up yet!
                      Disclaimer: The text and pictures posted by this user are entirely fictional. All pictures have been obtained from a country in which cultivation and possession of cannabis is 100% legal. All posts are for entertainment purposes and does not reflect the views or beliefs of this user.:

Comment

Hoods all the way. When it comes time to clean them you want a hood with hinged glass. Then you don't have to disconnect your ducting just to wipe out the dust.

Comment

cool tubes = junk when compared to an air cooled hood.[/quote]
                          Hell Skunky your hurting my damn feelings. I wont argue with the air flow as that makes sense but I like the straight down canopy light I get with the tubes. also hoods take up a lot more space as far as the ceiling height which is what I prefer. As far as the light output I dont really think I am having a problem!

:beerchug-2:
                          Teamster6

Last edited by teamster6; 06-10-2010, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Now thats a hairy mofo right there! Did HERB have babies?

Comment

You stick 2000w of lights in cool tubes and no you dont have issues with light!
                              Yeah, I smoke Soapbar with lots of bits of plastic,
                              I leaves mine in it cause it tastes fantastic,
                              Skunk costs too much, I can’t see the appeal,
                              Of smoking Port Rocky, Soapbar or Gold Seal,
                              Smoke Rocky in a bong, bucket or hot-knives,
                              Bake it in a cake for your mam as a surprise,
                              I smoke Green, and its gone in an instant,
                              But Soapbar last, cause it’s fucking consistent!

Comment

Working...
                              X