All Rapid Indus users look here. 911

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by Justcheckingitout, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

IMG_5802.JPG I had a board short and almost started a fire, oh man I am glad I was home. I am contacting Rapid tomorrow in it. Here is a pic below.

The board that is between the power supply and the light bar where the positive and negative wires attach from the power supply shorted. I had it running for a couple months now. Just shorted this morning.

So please all that have them, double check your boards and look for signs of short. Just in case.

2. bigbudztoo

bigbudztoo growin the good stuff

man, glad you caught that before bad shit happened.

3. Justcheckingitout

With it running for a while, I cant figure what hapoened? It has to be power related. The red and black power wires were burned also at the end where the wires plug in. That conector plug doesnt have anything that can go wrong. So maybe power supply issue??

4. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Glade you caught it. That's unusual. I'm sure they will take care of it for you.

5. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

That's very unusual indeed, glad you caught it when you did. It looks like that thermal has been getting hot for good while so I'm thinking that something became loose & started getting hot. Perhaps a faulty solder joint or just an internal failed of the connector itself.

Keep us posted.

6. Justcheckingitout

Ducrider, that is what I was thinking also... one of the two power wires coming from the power supply could of been loose, they are the plug in kind and I pluged them in and I do remember one side was coming loose and I gad to stick it in there good...just a thought but the board was stable and not touched or moved but if that one wire was say not making a good contact, would it cause the other wire to get hot and do the dammage? If it was something like that, I certainly dont want Rapid to pay for the mastake. I would gladly pay for another board. The lamp unit It was beat up via fedex and i had to attach 3 of 4 driver boards when i got and it worked good and the power supply was unrapped and loose in the box that got ripped open during shipping but maybe something was dammaged like a resistor or such? Alot of things going thru my head but I am sure Rapid can look at the pic and tell. There is only a few things to trouble shoot.

But check this out, the bord was tie wrapped to a metal bar and under it was my veg box that is plywood and I noticed burnt pieced prob from the melted plastic that dripped or fell on the wood. And i had just last week or two before replied to another member about that cool fire system he had and was going to get one. I am def ordering that tomorrow. I think we should put that mini fire suppression system on a sticky thread (not that exoensive or that big) and let people know about it so they know its avail if they want. Lessioned learned for me. I will be alot more cautious for a while and revamp my set up.

7. Justcheckingitout

Update: Rapid has shipped me a new board, I am just switching drivers. Its looking like a def short, where exacyly they should know when they get the burnt board back. I would suggest everyone check where their boards are and make sure the backs cant touch anything that would short them out. As a safe precaution.

ResinRubber likes this.
  8. Justcheckingitout

Update: well I am pretty sure I now know what the problem was, I connected both black and red wires coming from the power supply to one connector and it should've been one wire to each of the two connectors but I'm not sure how the light would've worked for several months with both the positive and the negative hooked to one connector though. I let rapid know this and offered to pay for the new board they sent me but they said dont worry about it and they just wanted me to have a safe and working light. Hows that for customer service.

ResinRubber likes this.
  9. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

Looking again at the pic, the discolored area suggests that it was a little warm on the V+ input too. I don't think you ever had it hooked up wrong.

I don't trust those spring-loaded terminals at all, particularly so when they carry a decent amount of current. They should have had the wires soldered directly to the board. Or had some proper screw terminals instead.

Glad you didn't have a major problem.

ResinRubber likes this.
  10. Justcheckingitout

Yeah those spring loaded connections should be different. I keep thinking I hooked it up wrong but if I did I dont think it would of worked for three months?? I forgot to ask them if they ship them hooked up, mine got trashed in shipping. I had to hook up 3 of the drivers that got popped off on yhe lamp fixture and the power supply was total disconnected and unrapped from the bubble rap, heck the conector could of been damaged in shipping also, it was unrapped also. One on the mounting bolts was bent. Took a good fall to bend that Fedex sucks, well they all do sometimes.

11. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

That's some great customer service! So how have you been liking those or just the LEDs in general. Only time I had to deal with A51 was for that one replacement fan I was worried might go out becuase it was more noisy than the others,I never even ended up replacing it. lol It is crazy having not changed any bulbs for a while now and the DIY one is still chugging along. Need to take another par footprint measurement to see how it's changed since last time. Haven't seen anything diminish yet as far as yields.

12. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

Rapid customer service for me has been right on too. The QC in China might be a little lax. I had some bolt holes that were the wrong thread...

13. Justcheckingitout

I have got my lights dialed in good. Its crazy how little heat under the lights but touch the heat sink, lol. I did notice bigger white hairs on my buds with leds, big long thick ones like white worms. by week 3 they look like week 4 on most of my 6-7 week strains. Biggest buds ever I grew were led on dwc totes.

14. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

Two words man...Flame Defender

ResinRubber likes this.
  15. Justcheckingitout

That was crazy how we were just talking about the flame defender a few days before I noticed the parted melted.

blazerwill420 likes this.
  16. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

it's worth having man! now you know. glad nothing serious happened.