Massachusetts law plans to tax cannabis 28%

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SuperMoChombo, Jun 22, 2017.

1. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

In Mass by voter referendum recreational cannabis was legalized. The referendum included a tax rate of 12%. After almost a year the legislature has announced the cannabis tax needs to be 28%. To cover the cost of administering the whole operation, doncha know.

Growers will have to all submit to screening by the government. They want everybody who is in the biz to submit to background checks and allow the government to insert nose into butt. The cost of this to be paid out of the tax they collect. Yay!

Here we go Uncle Sam shoving its fat mitts into the pie. Who else would have the moxie? Maybe the mob.

Yeah I know it's better than boots at the door, but a big part of me says give me back prohibition and a steady black market. Seriously why would anybody sign up for this BS?

Anyway, I just heard a Massachusetts politician (can't remember who) explaining why the tax NEEDS to be 28% and it just makes me want to scream.

2. bigbudztoo

bigbudztoo growin the good stuff

Yep, they are just guaranteeing a thriving black market. Funny, they don't need a 28 % tax on Booze.

SuperMoChombo likes this.
  3. SuperMoChombo

Good point.

I was just reading a thread on another site about the pro growers in Colo. They don't make shit. The best comment was "Unless you happen to know the asshole rich guy who put up the capital (millions) for the company, you are just a wage slave." "Master growers" responsible for huge grows and constant production yielding hundreds of pounds of pot each month are getting like $150K per year.

Totally disheartening. I feel like I'm watching the woods i played in as a kid get turned into a parking lot.

4. SuperMoChombo

I can see the writing on the wall though. In 20 years the popcorn suttons of the cannabis world will all be doing their last run on TUBIFY or whatever is the rage then. the last cowboys will die in jail. Absolute Cannabis with a listing on the stock exchange and a CEO doing coke on a hookers tits in Aruba will be the norm.

All the small time dairy farmers have been squeezed out of business during the last 30 years. You had to buy big tractors and fancy new equipment to stay competitive when the 500 head herds backed by corporate dollars drove the price of milk down. Then the bank owned you, and the price still went down. that's how so many farme3rs lost the family farm after generations of farming.

It will happen to me. I know it.

5. bigbudztoo

i will just stay here in the Backwoods and do my thing. Make hay while the sun shines, so to speak. And yes, as long as the corporate monsters get to write laws for their paid for congress/ senators to ram through , the little guy will get fucked. Follow the money.

6. SuperMoChombo

What devil thought up "economies of scale?"

I wholeheartedly admit to being a fascinated participant in my own way. I love walking in their footsteps, using the jargon. Modeling my processes with an eye towards efficiency, less effort, more and better product. There is something gleeful about excess. EVERYBODY wants a football field of pot with a lifted finger. Or at least thinks its cool.

When I started out I was in it for the fun of it. It was so fun I am now in it for the money. One day soon I'll be back to just fun.

7. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

The gov always has a way of fucking the monkey and smiling all the way. Yeah we are free but not to do what we want unless its making money for the government. I too will just sit back in the shadows and be somewhat happy that I can still go to the steak house and eat and hooters to see some hot ass!

Isnt CO at a 35% tax? Its crazy when you think of how the billionaire makes his money, uber doesn't own or pay for any cars or gas or drivers. Air b&b doesnt own a single room or hotel. The list goes on and on. How did the gov fuck our pot monkey?

8. bigbudztoo

History channel is running a tell it like it is documentary Titled : America's War on drugs.
    I saw the first 2 hour part today. Enough to make your blood boil at the
    sheer criminality of it all that went and is going on. Air America, Bay of pigs,
    MK ultra etc. It is worth watching.

9. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

I've been watching that too...the dea guy going after cartel people that the cia was protecting.

I know for a fact we were also killing the drug lords that did not fall in line. Personal experience in that part of the world in that time period. It's a fact.

10. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Yeah that shit is crazy. When goverments and drugs get tangled up, look out, Knew a lady whos husband went to columbia in the 80's (dea) several trips and one time never came back. Never nothing from the government of what happened and she knew he flew a american black hawk chopper in the jungle taking special american and columbia people places. Just hearing her story makes me feel unstable of what can happen. And those crazys at the gov cia giving acid to co workers in their coffee, fuck getting a gov job. I would die for my country but wouldnt walk accross the street for my goverment. Its a modo alot of veterans adopt.

11. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

What we got the 'shiners' didn't is the capability to produce anything that is sold on a store shelf. Try as he might, Popcorn couldn't make vodka like Absolut or tequila like Patron'. As growers we can put any strain people like under our green thumb and give a product identical to, or better than, the same strain purchased legally.

bigbudztoo and SuperMoChombo like this.
  12. SuperMoChombo

Good point.

I'm a Negative Nellie.

13. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

It takes the right grower to do that though. I grew a strain one year outside with only organic fertilizer and someone grew the same strain outside with hydro chemicals. Mine came out like crap compared to the other one, it was totally top shelf in every way. I'm actually playing around with that this year. One cheese krush is getting organics and the other is getting Lucas formula. All the others are getting Lucas once a week and nothing else from here out.